“Rust en Vrede - Winemaker’s Lunch”

Rust en Vrede Restaurant
Ranked #1 of 301 Restaurants in Stellenbosch
Good for: Romantic, Local cuisine, Special occasions, Business meetings
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Lunch, Reservations
Description: Contemporary fine dining within Rust en Vrede Wine Estate’s historic former cellar (also a national monument), where the front-and-centre kitchen, fine stemware and bespoke crockery enhance creative four- and six-course menus. A comprehensive winelist carries wide local and international selections, leaving little to be desired.
Reviewed March 25, 2015

Of course Rust en Vrede is famous for its fine dining restaurant and was under the Top 10 of the Eat Out Restaurant Awards for 2014, but what many people don’t know is that they serve a Winemakers Lunch from Monday to Saturday at their tasting room. The fact is not really advertised on their website, other than stating that there is a lunch option, and I heard about their ‘steak’ lunch via word of mouth. The Winemakers Lunch keeps things very simple, with only two choices: Steak or Salmon. Steak is served with chips, salad and a glass of Syrah and Salmon is served with new potatoes, asparagus and a glass of Steen. Of course, in the interest of research we had to try both, so I had the salmon and hubby the steak. As hubby doesn’t drink wine I got ‘stuck’ with two glasses of wine but I definitely wasn’t complaining! The Steen was a very pleasant surprise and really complimented the Salmon, but I absolutely loved the 2012 Syrah. Full bodied, bold yet smooth, I could go on and on but I’m not a wine writer so I’ll leave it to the experts!
Service throughout our meal was very attentive and professional, though to be fair, with a menu containing only two options it shouldn’t be too hard to get things right! When our food came it was nicely presented with a large piece of salmon for me and a nice chunk of steak for hubby. My salmon was very well cooked and the potatoes and asparagus a nice accompaniment. The steak was sirloin and supposed to be around the 200g mark but the portion we got looked larger than that. Of course I tried some and I was briefly sorry that I didn’t get steak as well as it was some of the best steak I’ve had recently. The steak was perfectly cooked, with a nice char and very tasty, with no basting or sauce to obscure the taste of the meat.

Date of visit: March 2015
Write a ReviewReviews (1,180)

Reviewed March 22, 2015

Having eaten at the main restaurant during our previous visit to SA in Nov, we arranged a return visit during our latest trip and enjoyed a wonderful evening meal. We chose the 4-course option (against the 6-course or 'experience') as this provided a choice of 3 dishes for each course. As before, the food quality and service was excellent with interesting and thoughtfully presented dishes.
We also visited on another day for the Winemaker's Lunch: a limited menu of steak, chips and salad + large glass of 'house' red wine (for R200) or an alternative of salmon + white wine (for R240), which is served in a different restaurant, on the terrace. Simple but perfect.
Both meals were enjoyed in wonderful settings and provided different experiences with attention to detail. The lunch was our final meal in SA before flying back to the UK on that evening - a fitting end to a great time!

Reviewed March 22, 2015

Our group of ten immediately appreciated the beautiful cadre and our special welcome, being greeted and seated on the terrace for aperitifs. We were not allowed to have a table of ten, so we were split in half. The ambiance inside is warm, cosy and prepares you for a special evening. We chose the four-course menu. Sadly, expectations were lowered by the rather inappropriate manner of the sommelier after he had given his recommendations. This is echoed in another Tripadvisor review. Then the starter failed to live up to expectations; a Wagyu Beef dish that looked impressive with its complicated creation, but tasted quite bland. The beef itself may be described as slimy and chewy. Another starter, Oyster Panna Cotta, was not enjoyed by many in the group. The Gaspacho did succeed though. The meal improved, but frankly did not live up to the top billing, lacking the wow-factor. I mentioned the starters to our hostess, who did not offer any feedback, which leads you to understand the feelings of other reviewers, who describe the restaurant as somewhat aloof and pompous. At £120 (2,200 Rand) for two including wine, it is not an especially expensive proposition for one of the top restaurants in South Africa, however, we ate at many others for considerably less and enjoyed the experience more. Let's hope it can elevate itself in future to where the guide books say it is.

2  Thank Phil H
Reviewed March 20, 2015

This is a delightful place to eat - very peaceful and relaxing. The menu wasn't particularly exciting and limited choice for me as a vegetarian. I get the feeling the chef still prefers to cook for South Africans who love steak but forget about people like me. The staff were helpful and discrete.

Date of visit: February 2015
1  Thank shaktisha
Reviewed March 19, 2015

No frills, steak or salmon, take it as it comes, well cooked no nonsense food, hot fresh and delicious served with a flagship wine in a shady courtyard and titled the winemaker's lunch. I can't wait to go back every year. The only downside is that the two golden retrievers are no longer in residence, one has gone to the great doghouse in the sky and the other has retired. Plum, the rottwieler wasn't much in evidence but succumbed to a little enticement.

1  Thank Linda B