“Perfection at its best”

Ranked #1 of 274 Restaurants in Stellenbosch
Good for: Romantic, Business meetings, Special occasions, Local cuisine
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Reviewed November 1, 2012

What a magical experience ! From the warm welcoming when you enter the amazing place to the splendid patio facing the wine yards . The service is simply one of the most attentive I have ever experienced. The staff (20 pers) pays attention to every single detail you can imagine.... And the food !!!! Wow wow, it was really one of the best meals I have ever had. The detail of each ingredient on your plate is simply amazing and cooked to perfection. I already made a booking for December and I can t wait for it !

Write a ReviewReviews (1,103)

Reviewed October 24, 2012 via mobile

Absolutely fantastic! The location is magic, full in the vineyards and surrounded by all types o flowers. The food is excellent, the service great and the ambience fantastic. Very good wines as well and very nice and competent swedish sommelier. Strongly recommended either for lunch or for dinner.

Reviewed October 24, 2012

The experience is purely for food lovers... not hearty food lovers but those who like the technical variation on the norm.

My experience was 5 star. The food was a litte over engineered for my liking .. I found that the complexity of mixing so many different tastes and textures in minute portions detracted from the real intent of the dish. However I cannot detract that the experince is amazing and flavours exquisite!! Truely heavenly! The twists on the norm is ingenuous and the Chef deserves the praise he gets .. it is art on a plate and the pleasure is yours to experience!

The drinks were not over priced and the service, although slow, was acceptable while we enjoyed sharing the experience.

Reviewed October 13, 2012

This was our second visit and all I can say is that this is a must for anyone living or visiting the Cape. Great service, stunning food and the atmosphere is just lovely.

Reviewed October 10, 2012

We, 4 couples, went to Rust en Vrede on the last night of our S.A. holiday. Our table was badly situated between two walk-in wine cabinets on the left & right side and a large draughty glass door at the head end. There was very little space between the backs of the chairs and the wine cabinets so the waiters literally squeezed between both to serve (and no, we're not large and lardy.) As to the draughty door, the heating was increased and pseudo draught excluders were quickly created from towels.

The Sommelier suggested a glass of wine as an aperitif and when some of us requested an MCC we were told most categorically that "we only serve Champagne". Well, well....that's a disappointment in a restaurant slap bang in the middle of the South African wine area. The Sommelier wasn't phased by our looks of horror or one diner's response, "that we're fed up of drinking french Champagne which we do all the time back home," and simply suggested a glass of wine. I would have thought an MCC, a Martini, a Campari Soda or even a "Rust en Vrede" own creation would have been a more fitting aperitif than a glass of wine...especially in a restaurant of this standard. We requested a dry sauvignon blanc as our aperitif but when it arrived it was sweeter than expected and served slightly too warm.

The food is indeed superb, beautifully presented, innovative and delicious but the service badly tarnishes Rust en Vrede and I would not return. An excellent restaurant is not just about superb food, everything has to be 100% and at Rust en Vrede it isn't.

At restaurants of this standard;
- women should be handed the menus first
- women should receive their chosen dish before the men at the table receive theirs
- water and wine glasses need to be kept filled.
- the waiters need to be sure who has chosen what dish before placing it on the table to be told by the diner, "actually, I ordered the monkfish and not the lamb...."

These few basics aren't exercised at Rust en Vrede, or at least they weren't on the evening we were there. If the service had been as I would expect of a restaurant of this standard, then I'd have rated the place with "excellent" but at the moment, this place is average.

7  Thank iPotti