“Service excellent with little sleep”

Rivierbos Guest House
Ranked #47 of 112 Stellenbosch B&B and Inns
Cape Town Central, South Africa
“Service excellent with little sleep”
Reviewed March 13, 2014

I arrived on Friday at this wonderful guest house. The lady that check me in was so friendly and willing to assist me. I woke up at 02:00 with a noise level that was so high by men. I went outside to see what was going on and found drunk guys outside with this the same lady that assist me on my check in. She was busy to sort this guys out asking them to please keep quite and behave. I felt so sorry for her as she had to deal with this. She had her hands full till 04:00. The next morning I found her at breakfast speaking to the rugby guys (was confirmed then) of the way they behaved them the previous morning I would call it. She was so calm and spoke to the other guests and making them feel even more at home. Saying she's sorry about last night. All of us knew that she was awake the hole night but still found time to speak to all of us and smile. When I checked out I asked the lady at the desk Di where the other lady was she said " No sir she is day off". I would like to say that I call this service for someone to be the hole night up and then willing to talk to guests and making them feel important and personally apologizing to each guest. Well done Jennalee.

Room Tip: I would say ask for room 12.
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
Stellenbosch, South Africa
Reviewed March 11, 2014

I have booked to stay in March for one night with my daughter, having made and secured the booking on Booking.com. I have phoned twice before my arrival, and the reception informed me that my booking was secured and everything was in order. On arrival the manager informed me that they have overbooked me and have booked me into another Guest House. I will have to pay more now at the other guest house and the guest house was not in my preferred location! The Manager and staff was very unfriendly and did not once apologise for the inconvenience they have caused me! Simply implying they cant do anything and we will just have to move to the other Guest House. Overall a bad and disappointing experience!

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank 12Dap90

Travelers are raving about these Stellenbosch hotels

Pretoria, South Africa
Reviewed January 28, 2014

We stayed at Rivierbos during Dec 2013, having booked through the local airline, kulula.com. What a disappointment! The receptionist on duty was downright rude and this trend was sustained during the serving of breakfast the next day,
Our room's shower floor and walls were covered with several weeks' growth of mold. We popped into another room to check whether the shower was more appealing, but it was not. The rude staff didn't appreciate our complaint about this. On day 2 the manager offered to refund us for one night's stay. Hopefully this promise will still be fulfilled.
We most probably won't be back since Stellenbosch has hordes of guest houses to choose from. Hopefully the others have friendly staff and clean bathrooms.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
Reviewed January 5, 2014

This is my second time travelling to Stellenbosch and staying at Rivierbos Guest House. Staff like always up to standard willing to assist. The manager was so helpful she made make sure we get to a restaurant that got halaal meat even prepared a breakfast for us so that we can have it. Now that I call excellent service. Thank you to you and your team for making our stay wonderful again. I will sure recommend you to the rest of my Emirates Airline staff travelling to Stellenbosch. We will sure see you again soon

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Rishaad M
Port Elizabeth, South Africa
Reviewed December 17, 2013

My wife and I stayed here & found the staff very unfriendly! Small rooms & dirty bathrooms. Breakfast was 8-10. We arrived at 8:30 & had to find our own cutlery, plates and glasses as staff had not re-setup tables. Some of the food was finished & was not replaced, thus making breakfast a first come first serve. Even though we all pay the same amount! Also I had paid before arriving online, only once we were leaving I was told that their site is not working properly & they don't always receive the clients credit card details & thus I had to pay again. Overall just a terrible experience!

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Shane M
Ma-Afrika, Manager at Rivierbos Guest House, responded to this review, December 20, 2013
Dear Shane

Thank you for taking your time to comment on your recent stay and your honest feedback.

It is our aim to offer our guests a entirely satisfactory service at Rivierbos Guest House that's why we consider our guests recommendations about service very seriously.

We truly apologize for the inconvenience you had with the payment, breakfast and the room.

We will look into each issue that you have noted, in an attempt to correct and improve our guest house service.

We hope you will give us a second chance to convince you with a better service.

Sincerely yours,
Guest House Manager
Cape Town Central, South Africa
Reviewed November 10, 2013

We spent one night at Rivierbos Guesthouse in November. The experience was not what we expected. The building is very old and quite run down. They have 2 enormous dusty car parks - one in front and one at the back of the building which have taken up all potential room to have a nice garden. There is no lawn or gardens at all and the small pool is located in the car park right near the reception door. Our room was on the bottom floor down a very dark, musty alley way. The rooms are very small with a very creaky old double bed which would wake you up every time you roll over in the night. The mattress was terrible with a big dip in the middle and springs poking out in all different places. The shower is also very small with a broken shower door that needed to be slammed shut to stop the water going everywhere. All the rooms are very close together so you can hear all the other guests coming and going from their rooms at all hours of the night. And you can even hear them flushing their toilets above you or next door.

We paid R770 for a double room but this is hugely expensive for what you get.
The breakfast was ok with basic cereals, toast, yoghurt and hot breakfast of either scrambled or fried egg with bacon and tomato.

Room Tip: Possibly ask for a room with double doors leading out to the patio or a room upstairs.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Middelburg
Reviewed October 8, 2013

Terrible service! We've booked for two nights with the creditcard in July for a special rate of 616 rand per room. Received a confirmation though no amount was taken off our creditcard.

When we arrived on Thursday we were told by a laughing and joking lady at the reception that we were "upgrated" to another guesthouse which we hadn't chosen ourselves. With a map and a brief instruction how to get there we were sent away. When we asked how this could happen she told us that "the booking system didn't synchronize" (??!). We hadn't received any notice though they had our emailadress and a phonenumber.

When we arrived in the other guesthouse (Yellow Lodge) the very helpful and friendly lady at the reception told us this happens on a regular basis. It turned out the rate in the other guesthouse was 700 rand per night, though they gave us a discount as they felt sorry for us. When we phoned them they told us it was not their mistake. We had also booked a winetour with pick-up so we needed to contact them to change the details, which we luckely managed to do with help from the lady at Yellow Lodge. After all we had a good stay there but it was not what we had booked.

I understand that we are all human and we all make mistakes, it just how you deal with it and how you solve the problem. Although we haven't even made it to a room or breakfast at Rivierbos I certainly would not recommend booking here as the service is beyond poor!!

• Stayed October 2013
Also consider these accommodations in or near Stellenbosch
Stellenbosch Hotel
#34 of 112 in Stellenbosch
Bonne Esperance
Bonne Esperance
#6 of 112 in Stellenbosch

Been to Rivierbos Guest House? Share your experiences!