“Best Sea Food Platter in a long, long time.”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Dornier Bodega

Dornier Bodega
Ranked #43 of 248 Restaurants in Stellenbosch
Cuisines: Mediterranean
Good for: Business meetings, Romantic, Large groups, Special occasions, Local cuisine, Scenic view, Kids
Dining options: Lunch, Brunch, Accepts American Express, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Off-Street Parking, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Street Parking, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible, Wine and Beer
Description: Part of the Dornier Wine Estate, this is a great place to enjoy the best in life. Spend time with your family on the generous verandah and pair some great Stellenbosch wines with dishes from a creative seasonal menu.You can taste our wines at the table or at the Wine Lounge.
Somerset West, South Africa
“Best Sea Food Platter in a long, long time.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 13, 2013

We celebrated our wedding anniversary and a birthday at Bodega and thoroughly enjoyed our lunch. It is the best sea food platter that I have had in a very long time. We have also had lunch there on a number of occasions in the past and rate it very highly. The food was great, service (by Percy) was friendly and fun and the views are wonderful. We have already booked for Easter Sunday lunch as we will have one of our grandchildren with us. The facilities for the kids are great and not in a place that disturbs other diners.

• Visited March 2013

Stellenbosch, South Africa
“Pure bliss & relaxation”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 12, 2013

This is one of my favourite lunch destinations over a weekend - fantastic food (easy, from Flammkuchen, meaty and vegetarian options, over tapas to "proper" dishes), beautifully prepared and presented in an amazingly relaxing atmosphere. I prefer sitting on the verandah (shaded) with what must be the most stunning views over the Stellenbosch mountains: tranquil, almost undisturbed, a place to breath. Right in front, of course, their own wine cellar with a violin shaped roof - if you are patient enough, the sun will cause a reflection in the dam to complete this picturesque set up! The (indigenous) garden is a delight, unpretentious and naturally beautiful to look at. You might want to secure a booking before coming out on this scenic drive, as they are a very popular venue, also hosting weddings and functions in the old manor, which has been amazingly restored. Prepare yourself for classic architecture with a very modern twist - colourful, vibrant, young. Taste their own wines (whilst listening to the interesting stories told with charm - no typical sales talk), but they also stock other wines. Make sure to try out their flag ship Donatus range (white and red), it goes splendidly with their food offerings. Cheese platters, while visiting with friends over some more wine while catching up, are a delight. Their desserts are stunning (I miss the Panacotta though, which used to be on the menu), coffees a must!
As if you hadn't have enough yet, make sure to pop into their tasting room to stock up on those gorgeous wines you've been tasting (they also ship), as well as some blankets, table clothes and little merchandise they offer from community projects! There are beautiful hippos (in pink as well) which are just waiting to be taken home and one simply can't resist to shop for all those who remained at home ;)
Go with a significant other or friends, the atmosphere is relaxed (not stiff), and the service efficient and un-intrusive. Smokers are accommodated on a separate veranda (you can't eat here but certainly retire with your wine, dessert, coffee).
Ideal also for those seeking for an outing with kids - a little playground with slides etc is present. It sometimes gets a little noisy, but you can simply escape to the other far end and it won't really bother you. Well done to the team of Bodega - you guys have a special place in my heart!

Copenhagen, Copenhagen, Denmark
“An outstanding experience”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 9, 2013

On a recent visit to South Africa and Cape Town (February 2013), a colleague suggested that I visit Dornier Wine estate in Stellenbosch, and possibly also stayed there. I did just that, and all I can say is, you should do the same!

My wife and I stayed at the Dornier Homestead for 2 nights, and thereby not just experienced a great overnight place to stay, but also 5 meals at the Dornier Bodega (2 sumptuous breakfasts, 1 lunch and 2 dinners) all of which were fantastic! Of all the great food we had, I'd especially like to single out the Calamari starter which we enjoyed both evenings. That dish was by it self worth a visit.

I strongly recommend visiting Dornier if you travel to Stellenbosch, either for a meal or two, and, if you're really looking for an out of this world experience, an overnight stay combined with some meals.

When my wife and I go back to Cape Town in december 2013, I know for certain where part of our stay will be spent. Yep, you guessed it: Dornier Homestead and Bodega:-)!

1 Thank Lars T
Cape Town Central, South Africa
“Dining amongst the vines”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 6, 2013

Currently one of my favorite places to chill and enjoy good food and great wines, The setting is perfect and the play area for the little ones makes it really pleasant for families. I love the wide "stoep" with it's panoramic views of the valley, the menu is interesting and every time I have been fortunate enough to enjoy a meal at Bodega, it has been of the highest quality.

The added advantage of being able to do a wine tasting at your table is, for me, an added bonus it means one can relax immediately and enjoy the ambiance and atmosphere of this magical place.

Looking forward to my next visit !

• Visited April 2012
Denia, Spain
“excellent in all respects”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 2, 2013

Why is it you find places like this right at the end of a trip. We arrived here after visiting a more renowned winery and had the most fabulous lunch. High quality dishes in a great setting and very friendly and efficient staff....at just 170 rand pp. A twist in smoked salmon fishcakes was the star of the show. Good wines. On a very hot day the water mist spray from the ceiling was a great touch. We wish we had had time to visit again especially for the sundowners wine and tapas as the place was filling up again as we left after a good long lunch.

2 Thank gordy07