“Nice place to stay, nothing spectacular” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Stumble Inn Backpackers Lodge Stellenbosch

Stumble Inn Backpackers Lodge Stellenbosch
Ranked #104 of 113 Stellenbosch B&B and Inns
Haarlem, The Netherlands
“Nice place to stay, nothing spectacular”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 7, 2012

we camped in the backgarden, which really is just a backgarden, The kitchen was clean but there was a bit of backlog as people don't always clean their dishes.There is a TV accessible to everyone. The people are nice, but they don't go out of their way to please/help you. There are limited parking spaces available and it is just of the street, so not very secure. Although we had no problems with security there. The backpackers is in the centre of Stellenbosch and everything is close by. Gino's is a nice restaurant nearby that aims at the student population from the university, so it is not expensive but still it has very nice food.
A nice thing to do in Stellenbosch is the village museum, that takes you through four different houses from 4 different eras. Everything is restored to match that particular era and a museum staff member who explains everything about that particular house when you come in.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
Helsingborg, Sweden
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 5, 2012

Stellenbosch is a bit short on budget options and I guess that's why most will continue to stay there. The good thing about the hostel is the friendly owners that really knows a lot about good restaurants in the area, tours and are really friendly. Location and the fact that it's really cheap also helps.

Apart from that this is a hostel far from the otherwise quite high standard SA usually offers. The kitchen is dirty, showers were cold every now and then and the fact that some dorms and rooms are way to close to the bar (my dorm even had a window that let in all the smoke from the fireplace) made sleeping impossible at time.

If you're a backpacker on a tight budget this place will do for a night or two, but if you want a bit better standard, go somewhere else.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
Dresden, Deutschland
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 3, 2012

We stayed one night there and it was ok. Nothing special, the room was not that clean, but still ok so we could live with that. The commom area and the bar are nice to hang out. Good location, quite close to the town center. As far as we experienced, the staff was nice.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with friends
Atlanta, Georgia
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 13, 2012

This hostel experience was the worst one we have ever had! First, the people who work here aren't friendly. They make you feel like you are imposing on their television watching time if you need anything or have any questions. Literally, they never even said hello to us in the two days we were there and stared at us like we had three heads.

Our private room stank of cigarettes, so badly that we couldn't even sleep! The kitchen was trashed with dirty dishes. No one cleans heir dishes! We had to wash dishes every time we needed them. The rooms were littered with trash too!

Also, we took the baz bus and the staff gave us bad information. They told us to be back at the hostel at 6pm to catch the bus but then we learned later that we didn't need to be at the hostel until 8pm. Why did they tell us that? Because they thought we wouldn't be back in time if they told us the real time? We are adults, don't treat us like children.

Unfortunately, Stellenbosch has very limited options on budget accomodations so The Stumble Inn will get business regardless of their behavior. I guess that is why they don't care.

Room Tip: If you can afford it, go to a b&b instead. If you can't, just pitch a tent in their yard, i...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Angie H

Travelers are raving about these Stellenbosch hotels

Paris
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 17, 2012

Positves:

- Cheap
- Good location in Stellenbosch
- Staff is nice

Negatives:

- Guys, you're running a backpackers, not a danceclub. House music 24/24 may be tiring for your guests. Similarly, in the evenings, they may prefer a relaxed and cosy atmosophere than a noisy bar atmosphere.

- Living room almost outside, cold despite the woodfire

- Kitchen very poorly equiped and quite dirty

Conclusion: there are not many alternatives with such a gentle price in Stellenbosch. A great place that could very easily improve its quality.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank Laurent K
Cape Town
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 13, 2012

Firstly I would like to categorically state that I am a well-travelled backpacker and the Stumble Inn is the WORST backpackers I ever stayed in. It does not even deserve a one-star rating.

After being greeted by a rude, unhelpful woman at the desk, my Scottish friiends and I were kept in the dark about our dorm. We were told to leave our bags in some dodgy, unsecure DIY room and come back when our room - which had been booked months in advance - was ready. There were other folks who just rocked up on the day and got a room inside the much warmer and main section of the Stumble Inn. We, on the other hand, got a room at the second house 50 metres down the road. There was no offer from the staff to take us to this rather cold and unkept house when we arrived at 1pm during check-inn. One word - disgusting!!!

But, this was not the end of this bad experience as my friends and I decided to not stand around and wait for this unhelpful woman to keep us in the dark. So we made our way to enjoy the wonderful staff and locals of the De Akker restaurant. Later, I was told by the staff of the Stumble Inn that our room was ready and we would be staying in the second house. I was on my own, so I was unable to carry three big bags down to the second house and decided that when we return we'll take the bags with us. When we returned later in the night, my Scottish friends were insulted by a very obnoxious and disrespectful staff member who must have been the nightwatchmen. There was no offer to help me whatsoever. Even when I could not find the second house. Thankfully, a very kind homeowner directed me to the house and told me that this happens often. So after spending 30 minutes walking around in the dark with two heavy bags and my mate carrying his bag, we put our bags in the room and then walked back to the main house where my other mate decided to sleep in an empty, but warm and cosy room. Sadly my other mate slept on a chair by the fire. Stellies is cold in winter, but luckily my mate is Scottish!

I walked back to the second house (again!) and slept in the freezing cold room and was astounded and woken up by the very nasty woman at the desk banging on my door at 9am and screaming, "Get the hell out of this backpackers now!! You have 10 minutes!!" The same happened to my mate, who was told to "Get the #$%^ out!" The lady at the desk then proceeded to shout, "Give me the R360 for the room and GO!"

There is a happy ending to this story, we were booked for two nights, but because of this shocking experience, we left Stellenbosch and i decided to show my mates the beauty of Bains Kloof pass and we were welcomed the wonderful folks of the Calabash Bush Pub and Restaurant Inn.

DO NOT EVEN CONTEMPLATE STAYING AT THE STUMBLE INN. Find another place.

Room Tip: No comment
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
5 Thank Al F
Hangzhou, China
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 30, 2012

We stayed one night at Stumble Inn in a private room. The accomodation and facilities were clean and adequate. The staff were helpful and we enjoyed thier knowledge of Stellenbosch.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with friends