Stumble Inn Backpackers Lodge Stellenbosch
Oude Werf Hotel(Stellenbosch)
$143
$131
$115
The Stellenbosch Hotel(Stellenbosch)(Great Value!)
$72
Devon Valley Hotel(Stellenbosch)
$114
Protea Hotels
$117
Devonvale Golf & Wine Estate(Stellenbosch)(Great Value!)
$87
Agoda.com
  • Pool
Lanzerac Hotel & Spa(Stellenbosch)
No availability for your dates from our partners
All reviewsshort walkstopovercouchstelliesuniversity
Reviewed August 12, 2011

I stayed at Stumble Inn for a couple of nights as part of an overland trip, and it was a welcome break from camping. As backpackers go i'd say it was pretty middle of the road. The dorm was comfortable but the showers were very hit and miss. Some of my fellow travellers got a hot shower, but mine was freezing cold!

The bar was also very hit and miss. On the thursday evening when I arrived it shut shortly after 7pm! The lounge area next to the bar (with a pool table) was cold, and only made bearable (during the south african winter) by a fire. The kitchen was fine and had enough equipment for all I needed.

I found the staff helpful, and I enjoyed the wine tour arranged through the hostel. If you're happy with somewhere fairly basic, then i'd recommend Stumble Inn.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled with friends
1  Thank TheArtfulBadger
Reviewed March 8, 2011

To start this review, I would like to say that I am a very reasonable person and I understand and live by the expression "You get what you pay for", but Stumble Inn should definitely be avoided! My Fiancée and I arrived to Stumble Inn for a 4 night stay only to be greeted by one of the most miserable people I have ever experienced in the hospitality and tourism arena. She was very short with us and rude from the start. We buzzed the gate and she simply opened it and didn't even greet or welcome us. We asked where the reception was, and she simply said she was it. No biggie. However, she was too lazy to walk us 2 houses next door to where our room would be. She just gave us the key and sent us on our way. Prior to arriving, I had emailed to confirm whether or not the room would have a mirror so my fiancée could get ready. I was told there was a mirror, but upon arriving in the room there was not one. What's the point of lying to a customer? The room was clean by Stumble Inn standards (the bed was made, but still felt unkempt), but was not equipped with the adapter for charging phones, etc. (you need to buy an adapter or charge your things at the desk - I learned this after asking her and being rudely informed of the situation). The room also had the pungent aroma of urine. The bathrooms leave a lot to be desired and are quite rundown and are teeming with insects (saw a few mosquitoes, etc.), and the pool out back looks like it hasn't been cleaned in months. Stumble Inn also had a couple kittens roaming around the house, and we were awakened by them meowing in the middle of the night.

Needless to say, this place should be an absolute last resort! We frantically looked for other accommodation at the last minute and managed to get out of there with only 2 nights of our reserved 4 night stay. The woman who works there is a pathetic and miserable soul and should be avoided (the man who worked the desk at other times was at least very pleasant), but she really set the stage for what would be a terrible stay.

Even though the price of this place is reasonable, make sure you spend a few extra bucks and avoid Stumble Inn!!!

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank BFoltz
Reviewed January 29, 2011

Good -
Freindly and helpful staff
Easy Rider wine tour good value (R350 when staying 2 nights)
Easy walk to town
Shaded for camping (R45 with ISIC card)

Bad -
Kitchen bit grubby, lots of old and off stuff in fridge

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 26, 2011

This is a bit of a backpacker party lodge, but you can just use it as s cheap base to explore the great wine and food options around. We didn't do their day trip of wine tasting, but the staff were helpful in organising transport to a couple of wineries we had picked out. Unnervingly there are few obvious taxi options to the estates and you really don't want to be driving after wine tasting - there are lots of interesting wines so you want to be able to sample quite a few. Great food at some estates and in town too. Stellenbosch is a beautiful but odd, Truman-show place but the wine tasting is good.

The hostel is well located, a bit basic with bathrooms which could be cleaner but the private rooms are ok.

• Stayed: November 2010
Reviewed December 9, 2009

Stumble Inn Backpackers Lodge is 2 separate houses. The main house where you check in seemed like the place to be if you want to lounge and meet other backpackers. The second house about 2 houses down the street (where I stayed) was very quite with only one co-ed bathroom. The hostel has places to eat and go out very close otherwise a short walk will take you into more of the city center.

BRING A TOWEL. They don't normally have towels available.

I stayed only one night in this hostel. For a quick place to sleep, stumble home and shower it worked out quite well.

• Stayed: November 2009, traveled with friends