Hotel Asara is a picturesque hotel perfectly situated to explore Stellenbosch and the surrounding area but our two-night stay was ruined by the fact that personal items were stolen from our room. To make matters worse we have received appalling customer service since - as bad as I have experienced anywhere in the world.
When my girlfriend and I came to check out I realised that my electric razor, which was bought for around £200, was missing. I hoped that it had accidentally been swept up with used towels and called reception to ask if the cleaners had handed it in. They hadn't and the head of security came to our room to tell us he would be launching an investigation.
Five days later I emailed the hotel manager to ask for the result of the investigation and to enquire how they planned on compensating me for the missing razor. I received a reply from the security manager saying that the investigation was ongoing but that whatever the result, I would receive no compensation because I should have locked my razor in the safe in our room. This safe was about the size of a shoebox and I made the point that we couldn't possibly have fitted every item of value in it - not to mention the fact that I didn't consider locking a razor in a safe as normal practise!
Upon returning to Cape Town my girlfriend realised that her hair straighteners had also been taken during our stay and I emailed the hotel manager again to inform them. I received no reply.
A week ago (three weeks since we checked out of the hotel) I emailed the hotel manager again to find out how they planned on dealing with the fact that their staff are stealing personal items from guests and questioned whether they were taking the matter seriously. Again, I received no reply.
At no stage have I had any response, let alone an apology, from the hotel manager. The only person who has responded to me is the security manager, and that was to tell me the fault lay with me for not locking my razor in a safe.
I find it incredible that a 5-star hotel treats customers this way and doesn't take the issue of thieving staff seriously. If you are planning on staying at Asara I would strongly urge you to reconsider.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Asara is a 5-star hotel, set on a 180-hectare wine estate, in the heart of the Cape Winelands. The hotel offers warm hospitality, luxury accommodation, and the finest in food and wines - at highly competitive rates. A major feature of the hotel is its unique location on the Polkadraai Hills just outside of Stellenbosch, which affords stunning views of the surrounding vineyards and mountains, and creates a relaxed, get-away atmosphere. Asara is situated just 4kms from Stellenbosch and 25kms from Cape Town International Airport, making it ideal as a base from which to discover and explore the fabulous Cape Winelands, and further afield in the Western Cape. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Orbitz, Expedia, Travelocity, Booking.com, Agoda, Priceline, Hotwire, Hotels.com, Cancelon, TripOnline SA, Cheap Tickets and Hotel.de so you can book your Asara Wine Estate & Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Asara Wine Estate Hotel Stellenbosch
- Asara Wine Estate And Hotel