“Fabulous views, great staff & customer service”

Asara Wine Estate & Hotel
Ranked #9 of 17 Hotels in Stellenbosch
Reviewed March 28, 2013

I recently visited Asara on my own for a friends wedding, the front of house staff couldn't be more helpful and welcoming.

Over the five days I stayed I couldn't be more delighted with the helpful staff, great food and fabulous views. In particular, Nicholas on reception was always very helpful. On my stay, I mentioned to the blonde female receptionist (sorry I forgot her name) I wanted a friend to accompany me for dinner and before I had walked from reception to the restaurant they had already sorted my request and were very discreet.

Unfortunately, I didn't get to experience everything Asara has to offer ie walking through the vineyards, wine tasting and or spa. Though I did experience a lovely dinner, bar, deli for afternoon tea and pool.

Stayed: March 2013, traveled solo

Reviewed March 24, 2013

At check in the three persons at the reception barely noticed us, we didn’t receive any information at all. How about; the room will be ready at… Complimentary Wi-Fi can be reached… This resort offers activities like… Would you like to do some wine tasting? Let me give you a tour of the estate… But NOOO, nothing of a sort. Instead they handed me a form to fill out and stared at me when I asked them for a pen.

One of the guys asked me for my credit card and CHARGED me for a couple of nights stay, without even asking how many nights we were actually staying nor did he consider the fact that we had already prepaid our stay, which we had. The woman at the reception had to explain to him that he had looked at a different reservation. No apology except “Oops we had a slight mix up, would you like us to refund your card or would you like us to keep it until check out” Really??? Did you really think that I would spend 3000ZAR on a wine tasting?

Of course I wanted them to refund. The thing is that they didn’t even consider the foreign exchange issue with debit and credit and that their stupid mistake, which I had no fault in, cost me 100ZAR, so I actually paid for their error. In retrospect I wonder if they were all hung over or just plain ignorant.

Luckily we managed to find staff at the Asara wine estate that were professional and service minded. Geraldo, working at the Sansibar restaurant as well as some of the other guys at the same restaurant.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
AsaraManagement, Front Office Manager at Asara Wine Estate & Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded March 27, 2013

Dear Guest,

I thank you for taking the time to post your comments following your stay in January at Asara Wine Estate and Hotel. I have recently joined the team at Asara and have been working closely with the Front Office team to ensure that we only offer the best possible five star standards.
I was extremely concerned to read of your disappointing stay with us and I apologise most sincerely for the inconvenience you were undoubtedly caused upon arrival.
I would very much appreciate the opportunity to discuss your experience further, please contact me directly here at the hotel.
I do hope that we are able to restore your faith in Asara Wine Estate and Hotel and that you will allow us the opportunity to redeem ourselves in the future.
I look forward to hearing from you.
Yours Sincerely,
Paul Rivett
Front of House Manager
foh@asara.co.za

Reviewed March 14, 2013

I loved this hotel. On arrival, we received a fantastic welcome. Staff were very friendly. The hotel is located in the most beautiful spots I have seen. It had great amenities, swimming pool, good restaurants and a nice deli.
I would come back here again..

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 14, 2013

Our group of 5 spent 3 nights at this beautiful retreat. The service was fantantic and the rooms luxurious. The staff went out of their way to be helpful and attentive. The rooms were spacious and very nicely furnished. As a travel agent I had done considerable research when planning our trip and was not disappointed with our choices. The location was excellent, and we used it as a base to tour the area, We had dinner one evening in their restaurant that was far better than the one we had at another local stablishment. Their breakfasts were scrumptious, a la carte supplemented with a breakfast bar.
Since returning I have recommended it to our clients, who in turn were equally impressed.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed February 23, 2013

Had lunch here this weekend and it was fantastic!

The view over the vineyards, lake and with the mountains as a back drop is just stunning.

The food was great. I had the pork belly and my mother had the lamb shoulder.

Great service, a really special place.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Bryce Y
Reviewed February 23, 2013

Having spent two glorious weeks in South Africa our final night was spent at this hotel. What a disappointment. I am amazed at all the positive feedback received from other guests. Perhaps their experiences were very different and their expectations lower.

First I do not expect to have to settle the bill before staying in a hotel. Not one of the other hotels we stayed in in Franschhoek, Prince Albert, Knysna and Cape Town required full payment up front.

Our luggage was loaded onto a buggy as it transpired our rooms were a five minute walk from reception. No issue there, except the luggage was then scattered all over the ground within 30 seconds and no hint of an apology. On arrival at our room via bleak concrete steps and walkway the key card did not work but the nice guy that showed us the rooms let us in and then hovered waiting for a tip. I suggested he go and get us a new room key that worked first. I tip generously but do not feel it should be a given.

The rooms are of a type that I really don't like. Personal taste I accept, but tired faux antiques with appalling art (would not look out of place on the railings of a London park) does not work for me. The neighbouring rooms had identical furniture and art, nothing individual here. Small corner (yuk) bath in a large bathroom, why? An empty fridge (guests cannot be trusted to declare consumption) with a suggestion you call reception for a drink.

The bed was comfortable and the view lovely, but the ugliness of the hotel detracted from the experience and so we skipped breakfast, although paid for and rushed off to Babylonstoren gardens which are truly magnificent. The rooms also look much better there.

If you like bland homogenous hotels which are about big televisions, lots of aircon, and internationally standard fittings but no character this may be the place for you. If you like unusual, boutique and charming, go elsewhere. There's lots of choice.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with friends
3  Thank Charles H
AsaraManagement, Front Office Manager at Asara Wine Estate & Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded February 25, 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your valuable feedback regarding your stay at Asara Wine Estate and Hotel. I was most concerned to learn of your disappointing experience during your stay with us and I would very much appreciate to further discuss with you the details of your feedback. I would be most grateful if would kindly please provide us with your contact details and a convenient time to get in touch with you. Please rest assured we are taking this matter extremely seriously as we always strive for service excellence. I do hope to hear from you at your earliest convenience.
Paul Rivett
Front of House Manager
foh@asara.co.za

Reviewed February 20, 2013

We stayed for one night at this hotel and found it to be better than expected. Great food and service and a lovely view across the vineyard looking at the mountains.

Rooms were very big and all with a lovely balcony to enjoy the view. Breakfast was very good too.

Room Tip: Rooms in the high numbers are further from receptions etc