“It should have received the Excellent award”

Asara Wine Estate & Hotel
Ranked #8 of 16 Hotels in Stellenbosch
Oslo
“It should have received the Excellent award”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 20, 2012

Ok, so here we are in the midst of Stellenbousch -could there be more places that are better in customer care, quality of food & wine, ambience of the place and exquisite staff than the 5* places you´ll find here? I wouldn´t think so. And in total our experience of this particular hotel, was indeed worthy of all the five stars that they´ve got.
We a family of four, two adults and two sons aged 2 years and 8 months, were given the most warm hearted and friendly welcome and given one of the best rooms they´ve got. Cleaning service perfect and so was the evening service. Perhaps this is the routine in all 5* hotels, but we found it a bit peculiar that the fridge wasn´t filled -absolutely not the biggest flaw a place could have -you simply fill out the form of what content you´d prefer and leave it at the reception and they will fill it for you.
The room was spacious and the bed king sized, large bathroom with a good sized bathtub and an equally good sized shower.
We had dinner at the Sanzibar two nights -wonderful food -though not fancy at all, simple and good. The third night we had a dinner without the kids and oh my. This is a chapter for it self. But instead of bringing the story here, I´d rather send an e-mail to the management and let them handle it as it should be done. The place dosen´t deserve such a feedback here on this public channel. The breakfast is gorgeous and absolutely lots and lots of wonderful healthy and "unhealthy" options -just like you want it to be :-) Probably the best breakfast table we´ve seen throughout our in total of 7 months of round the world travelling with kids. Even though the service in general was good, there are still a few "flaws" that a 5* hotel never should have. But again, better to take it directly with the management.
I wouldn´t hesitate to recommend this hotel to anyone -you really want to stay here and enjoy every bit of it while also having a go at tastings on other wineries in Stellenbousch. Love it and would definitely return!

Room Tip: Ask specifically for a room that has a direct view of the wineyard -there are a good few rooms that...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (156)
  • Polish first
UK
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 19, 2012

We arrived in Stellenbosch after 10 days camping to be in the lap of luxury. There is nothing about this hotel which isn't excellent. We were greeted with real warmth, and felt that our welcome was personal and tailored. There is never any feeling of being just another number. We booked 5 nights there, our last in South Africa - thank goodness, as it was the perfect end to our holiday. The suite was outstanding,truly stunning. The views across the wine estate and the mountains is glorious. We had a huge balcony from which to enjoy them, as well as French windows, so that out or in we just enjoyed the glorious scenery. The staff are superbly trained and the service was faultless. Food was excellent - breakfast was an excellent meal, masses to choose from, very good quality. Dinner was equally excellent, and there is a good wine selection. Very good value. Hubby was delighted with the cigar bar, where they mixed him more than one excellent Manhattan. Praise indeed! The tour of the wine cellars was interesting and the wine tasting conducted by knowledgable and friendly people. I had an in room massage and facial. It was well done and again very good value. I couldn't find any fault, it was perfect.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a view of the lake. Stupendous.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Royston, Hertfordshire
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 14, 2012

Wow, I just cannot start to describe our experience staying here ! My partner and I visited Asara from the the 6-12th October 2012 as part of our travels across South Africa. From the moment we arrived until the very sad time that we had to leave, we were treated so very well. I celebrated my birthday whilst we were here and was throughly spoilt by the staff, with a personalised chocolate cake in our room, chocolates at breakfast AND tea - both of which were served on an inscribed platter !
So, how do I actually begin to describe this stunning place ! Asara is set amoungst beautiful rolling hills and vines. The main restaurant, which doubles as the breakfast room is beautifully decorated and overlooks a lake. It has to be the most amazing place we have ever sat and had breakfast ! All of the staff (and i mean ALL of the staff, from the security man at the entrace to the driveway, through to housekeeping, restuarant staff and reception staff) greeted us so warmly every time we saw them and were genuinely interested in our well being and what we had done during each day.
The food was fantastically presented and very reasonably priced. The breakfasts were included in the price of our room and the selection of food available was excellent , from full cooked breakfasts, through to cereals, pastries, cheeses, fresh fruits, meat and salmon. In the evenings, we ate mainly in the Zanzibar lounge, but celebrated my birthday in Raphael's restaurant. This meal was the icing on the top of a wonderful day, where my boyfriend had proposed to me on top of Table Mountain !
Alot of the food is produced on site as there is a fabulous deli which makes the most amazing chocolates, fudge and macaroons - all of which I had to sample for research purposes !!
Asara is situated just outside the stunning town of Stellenbosch and only half an hours' drive from the Airport and forty minutes from the centre of Cape Town and the V & A waterfront shopping mall. It is also perfectly located for all the other wine estates if you decide to venture away from Asara. One recommendation is to take a tour around Van Ryn's Brandy distillery, and enjoy sampling the 10, 15 and 20 year old brandy. Van Ryn's is five minutes drive from Asara. Our guide and host at Van Ryn's (Simon) also helped with local knowledge of a fantastic jeweller who was able to sort me out with my beautiful engagement ring !
We stayed in one of the courtyard rooms at Asara, which was beautiful and perfect. The room was huge and beautifully decorated. We loved the little extra's such as the turning down of the bed, the slippers placed neatly by the side of your bed each night and the little complimentary piece of home made fudge on the bedside cabinet every evening on our return.
Another guest described this place as '6 star service' and we would have to agree !
I was so overwhelmed by the place and our stay that I was very upset to leave. Suffice to say, we have already recommended Asara to several people and have spoken about returning next year on our honeymoon. Thank you for making our stay such a memorable one. As I said on checking out, I can't think of a hotel I have stayed in recently that comes anywhere close to what Asara offers !

Room Tip: A big hotel, yet it doesn't ever feel crowded and you are made to feel very special.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 14, 2012

The Asara is a wonderful place to stay, with excellent customer service, beautiful grounds, delightful wine, divine food and extremely comfortable and spacious bedrooms. In short, this hotel has it all.

From the moment we arrived the staff went out of their way to make us welcome, with complimentary champagne in our room to celebrate our honeymoon. We had a great sleep here with spacious comfortable beds, even if they were two pushed together, and the floor is heated which is fabulous. The only complaint is that sometimes we were woken by the sounds of water pipes from other rooms, but this didn’t ruin our stay.

The hotel is simply stunning, inside and out. The views are breathtaking; it’s like a picture postcard. Inside the hotel is very tastefully decorated with some of the best artwork of any hotel I’ve previously stayed in.

Needless to say, the food and wine are a-m-a-z-i-n-g, and sooo affordable (as little as two pounds for a glass of wine!). The high end restaurant ‘Raphael’s’ serves up really good food such as steaks, pork belly and local game, the fries here are also to die for! However the menu did become tiresome after a couple of days here and they could do with mixing it up more and having daily specials. The Sansibar is also lovely, offering service with a smile and a very knowledgable Irish barman. Food here is also great, and it’s the perfect place for a nightcap. It’s just a shame that people are allowed to smoke here.

Breakfast here is excellent, with a perfect backdrop over the vineyards; it really does not get better than this. The hotel also has immaculate music taste with great soundtracks in all it’s bars. It also has very speedy wifi throughout, which is a massive bonus.

I mentioned it before, but it really is the lovely staff here that makes your stay so pleasant. As an example, we needed to borrow a plug and within 2 minutes it had been brought to my room. On another occasion we needed some shirts ironed, this were done so speedily. I think it says a lot about the loveliness of African people, but we found the level of customer service outstanding.

A tip for travelers – a trip into Stellenbosch is definitely worth doing, this is a great little town with a thriving culture and great restaurants. But if you do hire a car, we recommend Tempest car hire and not Europcar(who were awful)!

Room Tip: All rooms are excellent, so don't worry!
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Cape Town Central, South Africa
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 10, 2012

I booked a standard room at Asara Wine Estate for a friends 50th Birthday. We arrived yesterday to a superb welcome, the staff were waiting for us, greeted us very warmly, wished my friend a very Happy Birthday, offered us a lovely glass of Asara Wine and to really top it all off they told us that they had upgraded the room to a suite!! We were completely bowled over. The suite was magnificent, absolutely beautifully furnished, superb accommodation. On our return from supper later that evening we were surprised to find a beautiful little cake with "Happy Birthday Dawn" squiggled on it !! A fabulous touch to a superb stay. The breakfast was fabulous and the setting overlooks the Stellenbosch Mountains and vineyards. I highly recommend this establishment to anyone looking for luxurious accommodation in the winelands. By the way, it is very convenient to the centre of Stellenbosch!

Room Tip: I can only say that the Bell Tower Suite was superb
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
Sao Paulo, SP
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 7, 2012

Wonderful place, amazing landscape. Staff very kind and helpful. Restaurants and food was very good. Prices are high, but the service was perfect.
Unfortunately, I had no time to wine tasting experience (Asara wines).
Hope to do this next time.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Carlow, Carlow, Ireland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 5, 2012

Recently I had occasion to stay at the Asara Wine Estate & Hotel and had my faith completely restored in quality service.
Feeling unwell as part of a tour group my guide phoned ahead and the manager - Tarynne - assured her an early check in was not a problem. When I arrived I was treated with simple, traditional care and attention. All I wanted to do was sleep so the manager delightfully allowed me to forgo the usual check in formalities and get straight off to my room.
And what a room it was. A complimentary bottle of wine and macaroons awaited me and a personal letter of welcome from the staff. The bed was enormous and comfortable, the bathroom lavish.
Some hours later after a disturbance-free sleep I awoke feeling better. In the lobby the staff gave me a comfortable chair in the lounge and offered to light a fire (it was rather chilly outside). I was then brought a pot of deliciously hot tea and pampered with everyone enquiring as to how I felt. It really was fantastic attention.
Feeling much better I discovered my bedrooms incredible balcony (Room 102) with views over the dam, vineyard and mountains.
The restaurant at Asara was one of the most incredible dining experiences I've ever known. The service was impeccable, discreet and accompanied by every piece of information requested on the meal's ingredients and the wine selections.
Next morning another surprise awaited me when I awoke; the clouds had lifted offering a clear blue sky and views to die for. Breakfast was taken on the terrace and came with a choice of buffet and set-menu offerings - all so tasty.
I was sorry to leave, but the one thing I can truly say about Asara - not mentioning its incredible location, views and luxurious surroundings - is the service. Service is not just about carrying bags and turning down beds, but its the human element of being treated the way you would like to be treated. This is a rare skill but one which every member of the Asara staff hold in spades.
Well done everyone and hopefully I will see you again some day soon. Thank you.

Room Tip: Room 102 has an enormous balcony with stunning views.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business