“Nice cuisine, little bit nose-up” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Tokara Restaurant

Tokara Restaurant
Ranked #9 of 244 Restaurants in Stellenbosch
Cuisines: European, International, Contemporary
Good for: Romantic, Scenic view, Special occasions, Families with children, Local cuisine, Business meetings, Large groups
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Full Bar, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: Leading contemporary South African restaurant located atop of the picturesque Helshoogte Pass outside Stellenbosch, included on the 2014 Tripadvisor Travellers' Choice SA Fine Dining Top 10 list.
“Nice cuisine, little bit nose-up”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 30, 2014

We were there for a quick lunch. They obviously were not too amused with that (as you could feel). Just wanted a main dish, and did not drink wine (had to drive, and to much wine tasting before), but just tonic. They looked a little dimissively.

However, food was very good. Try the beef fillet, it was perfectly prepared, with nice sides. Views are great, although not as good as with Delaire Graff, just 5 minutes away. Service very attentive. Prices ok for this upscale and fine-dining restaurant.

If it weren't for the feeling that they only want 5 course eating guests, it would be perfect. I obviously can understand for dinner, but at lunchtime not everybody wants a 2h lunch.

Very hard to get a table, need to reserve well in advance. As everywhere in SA, extremely inflexible with tables.

1 Thank Authumbla

• Turkish first
Dartmouth, United Kingdom
“Almost Perfect”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 28, 2014

We asked for a good table with an unobstructed view over the valley - & that's exactly what we got.
A really excellent meal with beautiful views & wines tastings I fondly remember.
The setting is superb & the service was very good.
Comparing it with two other lovely restaurants in which we we ate, I believe this to be a tad below La Colombe (Tokara's setting is stunning) but much better than Clos Malverne over the valley.

Cape Town Central, South Africa
“Very, very disappointing.”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 27, 2014

We arrived at 1.30 as per our booking and were shown to our table. Our booking was confirmed by the Tokara that morning. The waitress then informed us that we had to get our food orders in by 2pm as the kitchen was closing and we would have to leave by 3pm as they had to prepare for a wedding. It was too late to go to another restaurant. I think this attitude and lack of communication is totally unacceptable. The food was ordinary and the service terrible. They were not trained in how to poor wine or manage a table. No manager or person in charge came to the table to apologize. I personally will not go back to this restaurant. I can get better service and food at many other western cape restaurants.

• 3 of 5 bubbles
Clitheroe, United Kingdom
“Great food and view”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 26, 2014

Lovely lunch on the porch overlloking the valley.Menu is very 'cheffy' with a good choice plus daily specials.Food was main courses of springbok and sirloin,both of which were excellent, and a dessert of ice cream which was unadventurous but very good.A Tokara shiraz completed the meal.

Pretoria, South Africa
“It cannot be faulted - Fantastic!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 26, 2014

This will be my 4th review of this restaurant. We always go for a lunch during our holidays, and I'm writing this review 3 months after our visit, but looking at my pictures I just had to write another review.

I'm not going to bore you with all the food details, as I have written about them in all my previous reviews, but all I can say is that the standard of food, service and attentiveness in this restaurant has not faltered since my first review.

We yet again did the chef's menu and were surprised at the end with another Richard Carstens creation that wasn't on the menu. I'm salivating again.

Our love for this restaurant has only grown, and we will be back time after time. This place has it all, architectural restaurant, exquisite view, brilliant service, fantastic wine, and to top it off one of the best chefs in SA (according to me).

We shall be back!