“Good restaurant in Stellenbosch”
Review of Tokara Restaurant

Tokara Restaurant
Ranked #10 of 266 Restaurants in Stellenbosch
Cuisines: French, Contemporary, International
Good for: Business meetings, Romantic, Large groups, Scenic view, Special occasions
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Description: Leading contemporary South African restaurant located atop of the picturesque Helshoogte Pass outside Stellenbosch, included on the 2014 Tripadvisor Travellers' Choice SA Fine Dining Top 10 list.
Reviewed February 11, 2014

Whenever we stay in Stellenbosch we always eat at Indochine at Delaire Graff estate but this time it was fully booked so we decided to book over across the street at the beautiful Tokara.

Customer service is definitely different, it felt like many of the wait staff where young students just working there part-time, who knew very little about the wines and in general did not care so much about the customer.

The food was ok, we did enjoy the steak we ordered but the starters were mediocre.

The view itself and wine was very good and worth the trip out.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,110)

Reviewed February 10, 2014

We had made a reservation well in advance to have Sunday lunch here. The restaurant is part of a winery where you can also taste their superb wines.

The setting of this restaurant looking out over Stellenbosh is terrific as is the design and layout.

However, it is the food that is the true star. This is certainly not your traditional Sunday roast. Rather an amazing culinary experience.

Reviewed February 9, 2014

I recently visited Stellenbosch and Tokara was at the top of my list of restaurants to try. It did not disappoint, quite the contrary. The food is imaginative and tasty and the location is impressive, with amazing views over the valley and vinyards. I particularly liked the detail of the half-moon tables, where my husband and I sat side to side next to the window, thus both enjoying the best views. My starter of smoked trout with meringue and salmon ice cream was a highlight of my whole trip - and we ate at pretty awesome places. The main was a perfectly cooked, crisp duck with sushi rice. Beautiful and artfull decorations throughout the building also contribute to make a visit to Tokara a wonderful experience for all your senses. The one thing I'd say let it a bit down was the service - not that it was bad, but certainly impersonal. It did not detract from a great meal, though. I'll be back!

Reviewed January 31, 2014

Tokara probably has one of the best views of all the Stellenbosch wine farms. The restaurant there makes use of this and adds food that is just as great. It is very refined cuisine. The staff was very professional as well.

Reviewed January 28, 2014

To start off with i was offered the 'special' appetizer. It sounded weird, 'Baked Alaska with smoked trout' but I was feeling adventurous!
Then I had an excellent springbok dish, and as dessert I chose the carrot cake, which turned out to be carrot purée with a few cake crumbs on the top and some strange spiced sorbet with it!
The dessert should have been the starter and the starter should have been the dessert. It was awful. Too complicated, trying to be too sophisticated.

2  Thank RVsculpteur