“Weekend Stay @ Protea Hotel, Saldanha Bay - 5 -7 October 2012”

Protea Hotel by Marriott Saldanha Bay
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Saldanha
Edgemead, Western Cape, South Africa
“Weekend Stay @ Protea Hotel, Saldanha Bay - 5 -7 October 2012”
Reviewed December 21, 2012

We, as a family, have been regular visitors to this hotel, and it has sentimental connections with us. However, this last stay, may well be our last one. We just found it disappointing as a whole, although I must say the staff that we were involved with, were all very pleasant & polite.

Having said that, I made a complaint to the Manager, Izelle, about a month after our stay, as I had realized that we were missing 2 cut glasses that we had taken with and hadn't come home with. I explained that I had scanned the room twice, before leaving, to make sure that all our belongings were out, and the glasses could not have been there, else I would have seen them. (on the table where the kettle was, I had washed them myself and they were clean)

She said she would investigate and let me know. She herself did not seem to know what a cut glass was, and I had to explain it to her.

I had to phone back 2 weeks later, as she hadn't yet contacted me, and she said that she hadn't found them yet, but that we would definitely get them back.
A lady called Maria did phone me back about a week later, saying that they hadn't yet found them, but was going to look in the bar to see if they were there.

Since then I have heard nothing at all.

These are not hotel supply glasses and the cleaning lady that removed them must have been quite aware of that, plus they were clean and did not need removing.

I subsequently remembered that my bottle of shampoo also did not come back with me and can only suppose that it also went missing the same way, as I definitely did not see it in the bathroom and it was a large bottle.

What can I say, but that we are very disappointed by the outcome of our stay and the subsequent lack of interest in sourcing my property.
At the end of the day, it boils down to pure theft in my opinion, and who would want to revisit a hotel that condones theft, especially after it being reported ?

Dawn Marks

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
friendtoprotea, General Manager at Protea Hotel by Marriott Saldanha Bay, responded to this review, December 22, 2012
Firstly, please accept our sincere apology for the loss of your personal belongings – in no way do we condone theft at the hotel and I can assure you that your comments have been taken to heart and addressed with the people concerned, and that corrective action has been taken. I would like to sincerely thank you for your feedback, with which we are able to rectify our shortcomings, strive for service excellence, and assist us in creating a commitment to ensure that situations such as these do not arise in the future.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (47)
Sussex, Wisconsin
Reviewed December 11, 2012

We stayed here for three nights, driving there directly from Cape Town airport. We hadn't visited a Protea Hotel before but we wanted to stay in this area and we have a loyalty card with Protea Hotels so we used it to get discount on meals. Saldanha Bay is industrialised but the setting of the hotel made up for this. It is set on the water's edge and most of the rooms have a fantastic sea view. Ours was light and sunny, clean and comfortable. The bathroom did need modernising but was clean with an excellent shower and constant hot water. The room also had a fridge. The hotel bar/lounge had sweeping views and a lovely outside terrace. There was also an outdoor pool. We ate in the restaurant, the food was good (especially the chips) not gourmet cuisine but simple and tasty. The breakfasts were very good, eggs freshly cooked in front of us; my husband loves a fresh chilli omelette which they were able to do. Some friends who have a home in S Africa stayed there after us and also enjoyed their stay.

Room Tip: Probably the best rooms are on the top floor, for the view
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
friendtoprotea, General Manager at Protea Hotel by Marriott Saldanha Bay, responded to this review, December 14, 2012
THANK YOU for your most valued feedback! I am happy that you enjoyed your stay and that everything was to your liking! We have some great news: we are in the process of getting approval for a total refurbishment, and would love for you to see the rooms once it has been done!

Have a blessed festive season and prosperous new year!!
Johannesburg, South Africa
Reviewed October 10, 2012

I went to Saldanha for training 10 2012 and returned to the Protea, an old haunt I used 5 years ago during project phases in the area. It is perfectly located. Great for business trip. Staff always friendly and helpfull. Rooms with lovely view. Food last night super. A definite for business trip to area.

• Stayed October 2012
friendtoprotea, General Manager at Protea Hotel by Marriott Saldanha Bay, responded to this review, October 19, 2012
GUESTS' perceptions of the service they receive whilst staying with Protea Hotels is the only true yardstick we have for measuring whether or not we have met their expectations. I should, therefore, like to thank you for your positive feedback, and to assure you that your comments are being used constructively to maintain and improve, where necessary, our service standards and facilities.

We were delighted to receive your commendations about the impressive service offered. Please be assured that I will congratulate our TEAM for doing a great job!

Thank you for choosing to stay at Protea Hotel Saldanha Bay and we look forward to welcoming you back again soon. Please do not hesitate to contact me personally for any further assistance you may require in future.
Johannesburg, South Africa
Reviewed September 22, 2012 via mobile

This must be the most horrific hotel in South Africa.
After staying at Fire & Ice, Protea should be hugely embarrassed by this property.
Rooms are decorated in pre-historic style, bathrooms have not been updated since the 70s!
No aircons in rooms.
Maintenance in complete shambles.
Inside of hotel smell like grandma's sister

Stayed September 2012
friendtoprotea, General Manager at Protea Hotel by Marriott Saldanha Bay, responded to this review, September 25, 2012
Thank you for your feedback with regards to your recent visit to Protea Hotel Saldanha Bay.
Our GUESTS' feedback is of great value to us as we use this in our day to day operations to improve our services and facilities.
We apologise if our hotel did not meet with your expectations and we would gladly welcome you back after our planned refurbishment has been completed.
Somerset West, South Africa
Reviewed September 19, 2012

A weekend away and a time to relax and unwind. The hotel is located right on the waterfront of the harbour. The hotel service was excellent. The restaurant's dining menu is limited, however, being a small town with not that many visitors, it's understandable. We have a wonderful visit. Dolphins were swimming nearby on the morning before we departed and we could view this from our suite. Really a great time of relaxation. We played table tennis downstairs which gave me a new experience at a Protea Hotel and we enjoyed our visiting very much - totally relaxing.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
GUESTS' perceptions of the service they receive whilst staying with Protea Hotels is the only true yardstick we have for measuring whether or not we have met their expectations. I should, therefore, like to thank you for taking the time to give us your feedback regarding your stay with us, and to assure you that your comments are being used constructively to maintain and improve, where necessary, our service standards and facilities.

Thank you for choosing to stay at Protea Hotel Saldanha Bay, and we look forward to welcoming you back again soon!
Bologna, Italy
Reviewed August 18, 2012

After a very nice trip around Sout Africa, sleeping in different accomodation style, my husband, my doughter and I, decided to head to Saldanha Bay on Saturday the 11 th of agust to get the chance to visit the West Coast NP. We found the Saldanha hotel very old fashioned , more likely to be built in the '70 and never refurbished. The furniture looked more like a doll's house furniture than a business hotel (as we suppose it is due to its vicinity of steel industries) or even a summer holiday vacation spot for its north position of the bay.
The bathroom shower tent and the tubs sent us away any wish to get a shower there.
The room has no heating e no air conditioner.
In the architect mind the hotel probably meant to imitate a boat, but boats have doors to separate internal corridors to external terraces, thing that the hotel has not, in this matter air flows free along the corridors and if it is cold (as is winter supposed to be) it enters into your room as if the room was outside.
If you are assigned the -1 floor rooms, going down the stairs it feels exactly as going in one of those mediterranean ferries where cars and people board together , breathing and eating the smoke of vehicles.
Infact the – 1 floor or pool level rooms , face to the garage door, wich is always open, despite the wind and the smell. The same happens to the door leading to the internal court.
The internet connection did not work both in their computer or in your mobile phone, not even in the web site of Protea Hotels.
Beeing an insignificant saturday night of a cool winter, the best offer for the room was 970 rand (only o/n) while in Cape Town, in Protea Breakwater or Cape Castle for istance, (both more modern hotels), one could sleep for 799 and 880 Rand.
We ate there and found the buffet menu a bit modest both quality and quantity compared to the price required.
Considering the economical strenght of Protea hotels, the favourable position of the hotel either for business, leisure and also in a good location for northern routes, we really think the property could do more.
We headed there with the trust of a brand name but as explained it was disappointing and giving us many doubts about the chain as garanty of a standard.
The other face of the hotel is the staff , very kind and professional, room maids, waitresses, reception. We asked for a small heater and it was promptly given. In particular we thank you Mrs Lize Marie, she struggled to help us to find accomodation for the following nights in Cape Town wishing to reconfirm us in a Protea Hotel, suggesting us for our best satisfaction. We found her very motivated, serious, kind and very very patient. I also appreciated the commercial kindness to accord us the small reduction normally given to tour operators/travel agents travelling abroad.
Best regards

Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank marika r
friendtoprotea, General Manager at Protea Hotel by Marriott Saldanha Bay, responded to this review, August 26, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to give us your feedback and the constructive way in which it was done.
GUEST feedback is imperative for us to ensure that our GUESTS’ expectations are being met and exceeded. Without your comments, we would never know when we are doing right, but more importantly, when we are doing wrong! Thank you for assisting us to strive for service excellence.
Firstly, please allow me to offer you my most sincere apologies for the fact that the Protea Hotel Saldanha Bay did not meet your expectations. I can however assure you that our room will be going through a complete refurbishment shortly, and we would be honored to share our new look with you!!
You are an extremely important client to Protea Hotels and I assure you that your experience in no way represents the standard we're trying to achieve. We are as committed as ever to providing each GUEST with a most memorable and magnificent Protea Hotels service experience.
I am delighted to hear that the STAFF were so friendly and efficient! Your commendations of Lize-Mari in particular are highly valued, and I wish to assure you that we have congratulated her for doing such an outstanding job!
Ocean View, Western Cape, South Africa
Reviewed July 2, 2012

Not as elegant and stylish as our stay at Southern Sun Eangeni in Durban but the warmth and hospitality we received from the staff was really overwhelming. We were greeted with open arms and felt at home immediately. A lady by the name of Rene was such an excellent host. My children loved it so much that they wanted to return for my sons birthday. We just came back from our 2nd visit to the hotel. Rooms are clean and very comfortable. The lounge is a perfect place to unwind and relax. The kids are also free to enjoy themselves.... All in all an excellent venue to relax and unwind..... :)

Room Tip: We got room 311 on both visits. Lovely sea view..
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
, General Manager at Protea Hotel by Marriott Saldanha Bay, responded to this review, July 4, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to write down your positive feedback after your recent stay with us at Protea Hotel Saldanha Bay.
Your commendations of Rene in particular are highly valued, and I wish to assure you that we have congratulated her for doing such an outstanding job!
GUEST feedback is imperative for us to ensure that we are meeting and exceeding our GUESTS’ expectations. Your comments are therefore much appreciated, and we hope to have the privilege of welcoming you to Protea Hotel Saldanha Bay again soon!
Also consider these accommodations in or near Saldanha
Club Mykonos
Strandloper Ocean Boutique Hotel
Riviera Hotel & Chalets
Riviera Hotel & Chalets
#1 of 1 in Velddrif

Been to Protea Hotel by Marriott Saldanha Bay? Share your experiences!