“The personable zoo”

5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 15 helpful votes
“The personable zoo”
Reviewed May 28, 2012

We live across town (as in, across the Phoenix metro area) and even after growing up in the Phoenix zoo, my now-grown children MUCH PREFER this zoo. It's casual and laid-back. The animals are right next to you in enclosures that fit each animal's habitat needs. To stand just a few feet away from 2 female wallabies with babies in their pouches, watching those babies interact a bit blew our mind on our last visit!!

One of the best relaxing 15 minutes in Phoenix is the overhead Skyride. Leisurely watching animals, going through trees, feeling the breeze...ahhhh......walk around the 2nd half of the zoo and cool off with a trip on the log ride. (not cheap, but well worth the price!!!!)

It can get hot and dusty on Arizona summer days....plan for that in advance. Good news is that the greenery is growing nicely around the zoo and with some newer additional shade structures built around the park, you can almost make it all the way around the zoo in the shade.

On the plus side, there's none of the hard and hot asphalt sidewalks you'll find at the "other" zoo in town. The down side there is that the natural walkways can get a bit dusty some times of the year. Pick up your feet (and encourage your kids to do the same) and you'll be fine, though.

However, if you get too warm, hop on over to the aquarium area!! The assortment of aquarium life is unbelievable!!!! LOVE the sea horse exhibit!! The moray eels are astounding! Young and old squeal with glee at the ray-petting area. I put my hand over the side and a ray came to me and pushed his/her body against my hand. I felt like I'd be hand-hugged!!!! Obviously the rays love the attention and they are amazing to feel!

Thank heavens we don't live closer! I'd get nothing done at home.

Visited May 2012
1 Thank LivinInParadi5e

Arizona
22 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 62 helpful votes
“What a pleasant surprise!!!!!”
Reviewed May 24, 2012

We had coupons for $4 off each ticket (Subway has some or get them online). We live in the East Valley - but headed out to the West Side see what all the hoopla was about. WELL worth it!!!!! HUGE place - a lot of walking. Very educational. There is an Aquarium side and the Zoo side - we opted to pay for them both. Each building on the Aquarium side was labeled for what was inside. Very well maintained and each exhibit has a description. The Zoo side - same deal - very well maintained and details on all the animals. Too bad the train/air lift and safari ride was more money on top of the pretty pricey entrance fee - I think that should all be included. You need the map to get around so you don't miss anything....there is a lot to see! It was exciting to see that they are still building on my exhibits for upcoming attractions. It is in the middle of NO WHERE :-) Restaurant attached next to it (looks like a BBQ/rib place - Dillon's Restaurant)- so if you plan everything right - you can make a whole day out of it. EXCELLENT FOR ALL AGES!

Visited April 2012
Surprise, Arizona
31 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 82 helpful votes
“Spendy, but worthy...”
Reviewed May 23, 2012

Offers very close viewing of animals, and a wide variety of animals...not at all what one would expect in its location.

Buckeye, Arizona
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Family Fun”
Reviewed May 17, 2012

loved that there was so many animals to see and they were right in front of you.

Visited March 2012
Joliet, Illinois
17 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 27 helpful votes
“Great”
Reviewed May 5, 2012

If you are into seeing animals and camels this farm is great for you. I had a wonderful experience and I even got to feed the animals. I would suggest this farm to anyone that has small children.

Visited April 2012