“False Advertisement, Manager gives bad impression!”

TAPS Signature Cuisine & Bar
Cuisines: American
Description: Taps is a neighborhood-friendly beer and wine bar. The 10-12 beers on tap are a great balanced selection - domestic, excellent Arizona micro's, and top notch imports. The wine list reads like the "Best Buy list under $20" in a wine magazine. Which is really not a bad thing. The food is - well, its bar food. The 2 standouts - "air-fried" New York style wings. They are cooked by a special high temperature high air velocity convection oven so no grease at all, quite lean and crispy.
Reviewed January 22, 2012

My wife and I purchased a Groupon for this restaurant several months ago. We decided that we would go this afternoon and enjoy the food and probably watch part of a football game on tv. We headed to Taps as it is close to our house and on our way my wife said "oh, they have a Groupon now deal for this place also for today!"

We got there and it appeared to be busy. We walked to the door and there was loud music playing from what appeared to be a blues band. The waitress came up to us and told us that it was $15.99 each and that there was a brunch going on. I told her we were mainly interested in off the menu items and she said they didn't have that available until after 2pm. I told her we had a Groupon and she said, oh, hold on let me check with my manager. I showed her my Groupon coupon and also my wife pulled up the Groupon now on her phone. The waitress came back and said the manager said the Groupon was not available until after 2pm. I asked her why not, she said she didn't know, but the manager said.

Although the manager was only 15 feet from us in clear view, he never once offered to speak to us. However, since we had to pass him on the way out of the establishment, I went up to him! I asked him how he could refuse to honor a Groupon Coupon since it had no restrictions on it? He said it was not valid for special events. I asked him about the Groupon Now and he said we don't have one going. To which my wife pulled up the Groupon Now and showed him. He said well, you will have to come back. We aren't taking those until after 2pm. And besides the owner must have done that I don't know anything about it. I again told him the coupon said only valid from 11 until 3pm. My wife showed him the Groupon now and he said that there was nothing he could do about it!

I told him I thought he was the manager, he said he was but that wasn't something he could do. I said to him "so rather than accomidate us because of your restaurants mistake, you would rather refuse service to 2 new customers that live here in town?" His response was he would certainly tell me owner about the mistake on Groupon in the morning.

At no time did he offer anything but an apology. He didn't ask us to return, didn't tell us he would give us something for our inconvenience, nothing. I thought the purpose of Groupon (and other similar sites) was to boost revenue and to build business, not to disappoint and turn customers away. I doubt if we will ever be back!

1  Thank Michael B

Reviewed November 14, 2011

The restaurant is located in a very nice neighbourhood. Maybe it would be better to call it a pub. My husband and I went there for lunch as we had a coupon purchased some months ago. There were not so many guests, but a group of people held a workshop in the mid of the restaurant. We both ordered a burger and since we were asked, we've ordered them well done. However they were served medium and my husband just couldn't eat it but it was also our mistake, that we didn't say anything. They came with a really small portion of potatoe chips. For my opinion this burger with the chips was totally overprized with over USD 9.00 and the waiter didn't ask whether we liked it as he saw that my husbands plate was almost untouched. For us it was disappointing and we would not go back, also it is a dark place inside, you'd think it is closed from the outside. Maybe it is a good place to hang out in the evenings when live music or karaoke is on. But for us not so much a place to eat.

1  Thank Rafi1968
Reviewed August 22, 2011

I went on a sunday evening and had a bad experience! We ordered pizza and was informed there was no pizza left! so we opted for sandwiches and wings. We got our sandwiches and asked about the wings and she said she would be right back with the wings she came back about 5 minutes later and said they were out of wings! This is a place that is a pizza and wing place! The service was horrible! she was more interested in watching TV then waiting on us!.........Very bad experience! I will never go back!

Reviewed June 17, 2011

A comfortable neighborhood bar just off the Wigwam Resort. Had good live music, not too loud, playing 70's-90's covers.

Reviewed August 6, 2010

Taps is a neighborhood-friendly beer and wine bar. The 10-12 beers on tap are a great balanced selection - domestic, excellent Arizona micro's, and top notch imports. The wine list reads like the "Best Buy list under $20" in a wine magazine. Which is really not a bad thing. The food is - well, its bar food. The 2 standouts - "air-fried" New York style wings. They are cooked by a special high temperature high air velocity convection oven so no grease at all, quite lean and crispy. Second, the brewed beef and French dip sandwiches. Succulent, well spiced, tender melt in your mouth beef. The rest of the menu - just average at best. Avoid the Costco-burgers - grill cooked to a pasty grey tasteless waste of time. The atmosphere is casual by both the employees and customers- almost like the owners and managers are more about the idea of being bar owners and bar managers than being self aware about the business itself. The staff is friendly, like going to your neighbors for a backyard cookout, and the service is pretty much the same level. You get the idea that the waiters-staff have little or no professional restaurant experience or skills, but one feels bad about not letting it go because they are just so like your own neighbors. They do have entertainment, some pretty good, some not so good. A duet called Copper Skies plays all the late 60s and 70s folk-pop ballads - pretty good. A 3-boy teen-aged band played very very badly, like the Jonas brothers without any skills age 12-15. It was enough to drive us away from those great beer taps and out the door. Yet some of the customers loved them, just as if your neighbors 3 sons played for you at their backyard barbecue. So have some patience, converse with those next to you while you are waiting on the service, order a beer or two, enjoy some spicy wings, and relax.