1,484 results
All reviews oasis pool red door spa golf course wig wam bocce ball historic resort bar and grill water slides beautiful grounds ping pong phoenix area walk in closet great resort main pool resort fee bell staff pool staff
Reviewed March 6, 2014

The WigWam is a beautiful property outside of Phoenix. The property is well kept, the staff is professional and the amenities are good. I enjoyed both the pool and the restaurants on the property and if you are there for golf, the WigWam is close to heaven. There is also some shops and restaurants in walking distance the hotel with a historic small town feel, which add to the overall experience of the hotel.

The one area where I have a major complaint is with the WIFI service. The WIFI is included as part of the $20/day resort fee and is barely useable. This is a problem for even simple connections, email, and web browsing. The internet would drop and reconnect at random and speeds were slow enough that 1995 had a good laugh. If this had not been an issue I would have certainly rated the WigWam 5 stars.

Hopefully the fix this issue in the future, because it truly is a great place.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled on business
1  Thank ElGuru71
TheWigwam, General Manager at The Wigwam, responded to this reviewResponded March 10, 2014

Thank you for choosing The Wigwam for your recent stay in the area. We are delighted that you enjoyed the many amenities our resort offers and appreciate your gracious praise for our staff. Since it is our hope to accommodate the needs of all our guests, we deeply regret any inconveniences that you may have experienced with our Internet services. We are happy to report that with your feedback, we have increased our bandwidth for the internet to accommodate our guest’s needs. Please come back and see us again soon.

Reviewed March 5, 2014

The WigWam's grounds are beautifully maintained and manicured but that is almost the best thing I can say about this property. My king bed was comfortable and had good linens, but my suite, though spacious was oddly and inconsistently furnished and bore a few similarities to the furnished university provided apartment I had in graduate school. There was a sliding glass door in the bed room with both a heavy and sheer curtain but the large window in the living room had only a heavy curtain. That would have been good to keep out light if I were sleeping on the couch but forced me to choose between having the curtain closed so that the room was dark like a dungeon or have the curtain open and be totally exposed to all who passed by (each room is on the ground floor) during the day. Several windows in the bedroom were covered with shutters and one other bedroom window had a beat up mini blind. Neither the shutters nor the mini blind could be closed fully to prevent light from seeping in when the sun rose. However, since two of the three mornings of my stay I was awakened at about 5 am by something that sounded like a back up beeper, I did not have to worry about the sun waking me up. The third morning I was awakened by a blower that was left outside my room and when I poked my head out to see where the gardner was and try to ascertain when he would be finished, there was no one there. Just a blower that had been left behind and on. Unfortunately though, there were more problems than aesthetics and peace and quiet. The hotel charges $20 a day as a resort charge which includes (supposedly) a newspaper, internet and some free golf when one buys a round or something like that. I hate resort charges. Just build the cost into the price of the room, especially in a location such as the WigWam where practically nothing else is around and you are there for a resort. However, the resort charge at the WigWam was truly a rip off because even what one was supposedly paying for wasn't provided. I did not get a newspaper until I asked for it. The wifi was so awful that it not only did not work, but it interfered with the roaming signal on my phone so that I could not get any email or text messages or calls until I finally disabled my phone's wifi capacity. The conference organizers kept reporting the problem to hotel staff but the problem continued to persist for everyone despite having been provided with new (but not improved) log in codes. The resort might be ok for a burly male golfer but it was not appropriate for a conference and would be awful in bad weather because all of the rooms are scattered across the property and most are a 5-15 minute walk from the restaurants and conference center. The rooms have both doors and sliding glass doors and don't seem secure for a woman traveling alone. If I have a choice, I never stay at a property with an exterior entry (rather than interior corridors). Numerous women attending the conference I was at reported that someone banged on or tried to open a door to their room in the middle of the night and when I arrived the day before my conference began, the place was overrun with drunk, cigar smoking guys from another conference making much too much noise. The property wasn't particularly well lit which made it disconcerting to walk back to one's room at night and to make it worse, hotel staff thought nothing of zooming along the paths in their golf carts. On more than one occasion, I had to jump off the path onto the grass or dirt in order to avoid being run over by some kid playing race car driver. I really like the Phoenix area but this is NOT the place to stay unless, as noted, you are a burly golfer. It isn't in a particularly attractive area of Phoenix and is about 40 minutes southwest from Phoenix Sky Harbor airport in what is now a suburban area (it used to be more rural). One really needs a car to get to the resort unless you take a shuttle because a cab is prohibitively expensive but once you are the resort, you don't need a car because there isn't any shopping or sites unless you count Walmart a few miles away off the highway. The WigWam isn't awful and the ambiance in the mail building is nice. Room service was efficient and some of the staff including the man who oversaw our conference were very helpful but there are many reasons I would never go back and can't recommend the property.

Stayed: February 2014, traveled on business
1  Thank AnAnthropologist

It is clear from your review that we missed an opportunity to create the experience you had expected of us. Although you have mentioned liking the ambiance in the main building and a few other aspects, we regret that not everything was positive. Please know that the comfort and safety of our guests are top priorities for us and we strongly encourage guests to let us know of any concerns so that we may address them promptly. We are very sorry that your time spent with us for your conference did not meet your expectations. All of your feedback is welcomed and will be shared with our entire team. One day we hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back and provide you with an experience that surpasses all your expectations. Thank you.

Reviewed March 4, 2014

I stayed at the Wigwam for a business trip. The grounds were very pretty. The pool looked great and had a water slide. The gym was pretty good, and the staff members were very friendly. For women traveling alone, however, it was a little disconcerting to stay in a room on the ground floor with two doors that open to the outside. You could hear cars in the parking lot at night. If the resort was gated, it might feel a little more secure.

I heard that some of the rooms have been renovated. I don't think mine had been, but it was OK on the inside.

While traveling on business, Wifi is critical, and the service when I stayed was extremely slow and spotty in the conference rooms and in the hotel room.

The conference food was pretty good, as was the on-site restaurant.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled on business

Thank you for letting us know about your recent experience at The Wigwam. While we are delighted to learn that you found our staff to be friendly and enjoyed several of the amenities we offer, it was disappointing to read your review and learn that some aspects of your visit did not meet your expectations. Since it is our hope to accommodate the needs of all of our guests, we deeply regret any inconveniences that you may have experienced with our Internet services. We hope that one day we will have the chance to welcome you back and provide you with an experience that exceeds all your expectations.

Reviewed March 2, 2014

The room was fabulous, service outstanding, and love the prickly pear margarita. Red's was had the best calamari I have even eaten. The waitress was wonderful. The first day I was there with my very pregnant daughter. Several days later, I returned and she remembered me and asked about my daughter who since had given birth. She sent a "little something" as an extra for her. I only wish I could remember her name. It was that extra that make me go to Red's every time I visit Phoenix

Room Tip: Patio near the adult pool.
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled solo

Thank you for your kind acknowledgement of the service you received at The Wigwam and the gracious praise you have shared for your server at Red's Bar & Grill. Our staff is committed to ensuring that our guests’ time at the hotel is memorable and that every guest feels welcomed. We are thrilled you had such a wonderful visit and hope that you will return soon.

Reviewed March 1, 2014

Went back for our second stay and the hotel is fantastic. Great service, ordered breakfast in our room and it was there in 20 minutes and was excellent. Very beautiful property, they have added a water slide which our kids loved. We had a guest that had mobility issues and they had a golf cart ready for assistance with transportation whenever we needed it.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled with family
TheWigwam, General Manager at The Wigwam, responded to this reviewResponded March 17, 2014

It was such a pleasure to welcome you back! Thank you very much for your comments. We are thrilled that you once again enjoyed the service, amenities and accommodations provided at The Wigwam. We hope that we will have a chance to welcome you back again soon!