“Beautiful Grounds But That's About It!”
3 of 5 bubbles Review of The Wigwam

The Wigwam
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Litchfield Park
GreenLeadersBronze level
Los Angeles, Ca.
“Beautiful Grounds But That's About It!”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 18, 2013

Wow, talk about a let down. The hotel grounds and main buildings are beautiful! The rooms for the price NEED A LOT OF HELP. To the people who love this place, I say yes if you show up there with a car full of kids and you are stuffing everyone into a room, bungalow or suite and you don't care that the rooms were possibly re decorated 10 - 15 years ago because you can't wait to get in the pool or out to play golf, then GO FOR IT. However, if you feel that for between $200.00 and $300.00 dollars a night for a bungalow room on a fairway, you should be able to get a room that is nicely decorated, smells fresh, doesn't have mold, mildew and deteriorated bathroom walls, has some colorful wall hangings, maybe some up to date bathroom fixtures, then you better book a room somewhere else!
I read a lot of reviews about this place and can't believe how many people rave about it. I really must be nuts or blind! The front desk person was nonchalant and dull upon check in, which was on Valentine's Day evening, the Wig Wam charges you a $20.00 resort fee that really doesn't cover much of anything that another property wouldn't give you for free. Oh, I forgot, it does cover a FREE BOTTLE OF DRINKING WATER AT CHECK OUT however if you open one of the two bottles in your room, THAT IS A $5.00 FEE PER BOTTLE. I could go on about how let down we were but I'll just bite the bullet, eat the hefty room charge and added resort fee and get the Wig Wam back the old fashioned way, by telling my friends NOT to spend their money there and for us, not returning again.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
TheWigwam, General Manager at The Wigwam, responded to this review, February 25, 2013
Words can’t express how disappointed we are that we could not meet your expectations in terms of your accommodations. We would like to clarify that the resort fee you mentioned includes a variety of amenities and services such as guest room internet, fitness center access, local and 800 calls, bottled water upon departure, in room Starbucks coffee, overnight self parking, daily newspaper upon request and unlimited golf with the purchase of a paid round at rack rate. Your feedback is welcomed and we appreciate the time you have taken to share it here with us. We hope that one day you will visit us again and we can provide an experience that exceeds your expectations.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (423)
Surprise, Arizona
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 16, 2013

I live in the area but have never stayed there till the conference. Very nice establishment. Was there for a week and every day was good experience. I do plan on staying there again. The food there was excellent as well as the staff. Thanks for the good times.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
TheWigwam, General Manager at The Wigwam, responded to this review, February 19, 2013
We are delighted that your stay with us for the conference was enjoyed so much by you. The Wigwam staff is committed to creating a memorable experience for each and every one of our guests and we are glad that we could provide you with a great experience. We hope that you can return soon either for business or for leisure. Thank you.
tri-state
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 14, 2013

Hi Wigwam! We have stayed at your resort for the last four years and really love it. Our family lives in Glendale and when we come to visit from NJ we split our time bw the family home and the Wigwam. This trip was just as wonderful as previous stays. Bitsy at the front desk was awesome, Essie at Concierge was terriffic. Your pool bar manager was incredible. Actually, I have to say that every single member of your staff is the reason we come back and stay again and again. They know your name when you come in the door, at the pool and restaurants. They really go above and beyond in a warm fashion. The Wigwam feels like a home away from home for us. Any problems we ever encounter were dealt w/ immediately and remedied to our standards and approval. Your resort is just beautiful. Thank you so much for helping us create such wonderful family vacation memories.

See you next time!

Love,

The Fernandes Family

Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank laynie o
It is always our pleasure to welcome you home to The Wigwam. We’re thrilled to learn that your most recent stay was just as wonderful as your previous visits. Thank you so much for your gracious praise for our team members; it means the world to us. We look forward to seeing you again and we hope it’s soon.
Wheaton, Illinois
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 13, 2013

This is the third year we have gone to Wigwam for a golf trip. Each year the trip has gotten better. The resort is a beautiful and historic property. The golf courses are very well kept and are friendly to golfers of all skill levels. The most impressive asset of Wigwam are the staff who serve you. Every staff member, from the reception, to ground keepers, to restaurant staff, etc. are extremely helpful and friendly. It is clear that they want the guests to have a very positive experience. They succeeded with us. This is the best resort at which we have stayed over ten years go golf trips to both Arizona and Florida.

Room Tip: All rooms are very clean and modern.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
It was delightful to hear that you enjoyed the comfort, the service and the personal attention provided at The Wigwam. Our staff is committed to ensuring that our guests’ time at the hotel is memorable and we thrilled that we were able to succeed in our goals. Your gracious praise and compliments are all very much appreciated, thank you. Please visit us again soon as it would be our pleasure to welcome you back.
Phoenix, Arizona
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 11, 2013

Went for an informal lunch with a friend and was impressed to find an oasis in the desert. A private resort tucked away out of sight with beautifully kept gardens. Food was excellent matched by the setting. Suitable for the whole family.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank quintlowe
Thank you so much for your lovely review. We’re elated that your dining experience was so wonderful. Your compliments for our resort grounds and cuisine are greatly appreciated. We hope that you will visit us again at The Wigwam.
Alexandria, Virginia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 10, 2013

I lived in Phoenix, AZ for two years, and in fact, really lived in Litchfield Park, pretty much right across the street from the Wigwam. I never stayed there while I lived there. However, I had to go back to the area for work and the Wigwam was running a pretty good special so I stayed here for about 7 days. Some days by myself, some days with my fiancé.

Since I lived here for two years and drove by all the time, I wanted the place to be great and wanted to love it, but I did not. The easiest way to say it is the place is not nearly as nice on the inside as it is on the outside. That is the guest rooms anyway. The grounds are of course outstanding, immaculate actually, and the pool area is recently upgraded and very nice, and the main building are historic and interesting.

However, I was very disappointed in the guest rooms. The only compliment I can give them is they are larger than a typical hotel room. Beyond that, they probably have not been updated since the 70s, maybe longer. Very, very dated. I would not rate it about a 3 star hotel and sadly even that is pushing it. Also, for the size of this resort, which also functions as a country club for the locals, the gym was abysmal. Not the worst I have seen but not even close to the best and for a resort of this size I expected better.

Location wise, I assume if you are staying here from out of town you are doing so to play gold and thus, you'll be fine. But if you want to do/see anything else, you are a ways off. The closest area is the Glendale Stadium area, which is about 15 minutes...any easy drive. Downtown is 30 minutes plus and if there is traffic than upwards of an hour. Scottsdale is probably an hour as well. There are a lot of great food options nearby. My fiance and I ate at the main, fancy restaurant once and it was good enough. Beyond the food offered by the Wigwam, there a couple options at the end of the street, and after that you are looking at chain food restaurants in the Goodyear area.

If you do stay hear, and are looking for food options, go to ground control, just up the street. It is mostly just bar food but pretty good bar food and they have gelato as well. But be prepared to wait though as they are in no hurry (it is a bar/coffee house).

I really am not happy to hate on the Wigwam but it honestly is a run down, old place that does not command or justify more than $100.00 a night. The grounds and pool area are outstanding but the rooms themselves are a huge disappointment. Sorry Wigwam, you need to spend some of the money on the inside too.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
3 Thank Jeffrey D
TheWigwam, General Manager at The Wigwam, responded to this review, February 11, 2013
It’s disappointing that although you’ve shared an appreciation for our resort’s grounds and pool, we were not able to fully impress you during your stay. We truly regret that your accommodations did not live up to your expectations but we are grateful for your feedback. Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts with us, we hope that one day you will allow us the pleasure of welcoming you back again.
New York City, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 9, 2013

Came to the Wigwam for a scientific retreat and the place is just perfect for that. The conference center is well organized for meetings and the resort adds a little special to the meeting. I liked the ambiance, jazz playing in the grounds, and fantastic oasis pool. The atmosphere was particularly conducive to networking.

The best thing about the Wigwam is the customer service, which is better than I have experienced in a very long while. Everyone was attentive, gave attention to detail and went the extra mile. When I asked to stay for 3.5 hours past check out time, no problem. Everyone was friendly and gave the impression they genuinely wanted to help. The maid cleaned the room spotless and with attention to detail, I had a cold and took the tissue box near my bed, rather than take it back to the bathroom, I received a second box. The food servers were friendly and attentive to special request. This is of course what one expects at a good hotel but rarely gets it.

I stayed in the oasis area, which was newly renovated. The room was huge, comfortable, great bed and quiet. The room overlooks the Oasis pool, which is fantastic. Large, heated to a perfect temperature, lit at night. It was right out my room and with the heating, I went swimming in January, with 45 degrees outside and delighted in it. After some laps, the hot-tub next to the pool with colleagues. Fun and relaxation.

I would most gladly come back again for a meeting, but I would not come here for a vacation. The resort does not hold enough to entertain either a coupe or family staying all day and in is not located well for excursions being in the suburbs, neither in the city, nor is some beautiful spot. For a meeting, it is perfect.

Room Tip: Go for the Oasis rooms! Newly renovated, quite and near a great pool.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for your kind acknowledgement of the services you received at The Wigwam; our staff is committed to ensuring that our guests’ time at the hotel is memorable. We were elated that you enjoyed your time with us when visiting the conference and that you found the atmosphere of our resort to be conducive to networking. In addition to enjoying our pools and Jacuzzi, guests of The Wigwam can have fun getting in a round of golf on any of our three championship courses; play a game of tennis or bocce, working out in our fitness center and being pampered at the Red Door Spa. We hope that you will return soon as it would be our pleasure to welcome you back again.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Litchfield Park
Royal Palms Resort and Spa
The Phoenician, Scottsdale
#16 of 75 in Scottsdale
4.5 of 5 bubbles 2,124 reviews

Been to The Wigwam? Share your experiences!