“An oasis in the desert” 4 of 5 stars

The Wigwam
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Litchfield Park
GreenLeadersBronze level
Phoenix, Arizona
“An oasis in the desert”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2013

Went for an informal lunch with a friend and was impressed to find an oasis in the desert. A private resort tucked away out of sight with beautifully kept gardens. Food was excellent matched by the setting. Suitable for the whole family.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank quintlowe
TheWigwam, General Manager at The Wigwam, responded to this review, February 19, 2013
Thank you so much for your lovely review. We’re elated that your dining experience was so wonderful. Your compliments for our resort grounds and cuisine are greatly appreciated. We hope that you will visit us again at The Wigwam.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (386)
Alexandria, Virginia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2013

I lived in Phoenix, AZ for two years, and in fact, really lived in Litchfield Park, pretty much right across the street from the Wigwam. I never stayed there while I lived there. However, I had to go back to the area for work and the Wigwam was running a pretty good special so I stayed here for about 7 days. Some days by myself, some days with my fiancé.

Since I lived here for two years and drove by all the time, I wanted the place to be great and wanted to love it, but I did not. The easiest way to say it is the place is not nearly as nice on the inside as it is on the outside. That is the guest rooms anyway. The grounds are of course outstanding, immaculate actually, and the pool area is recently upgraded and very nice, and the main building are historic and interesting.

However, I was very disappointed in the guest rooms. The only compliment I can give them is they are larger than a typical hotel room. Beyond that, they probably have not been updated since the 70s, maybe longer. Very, very dated. I would not rate it about a 3 star hotel and sadly even that is pushing it. Also, for the size of this resort, which also functions as a country club for the locals, the gym was abysmal. Not the worst I have seen but not even close to the best and for a resort of this size I expected better.

Location wise, I assume if you are staying here from out of town you are doing so to play gold and thus, you'll be fine. But if you want to do/see anything else, you are a ways off. The closest area is the Glendale Stadium area, which is about 15 minutes...any easy drive. Downtown is 30 minutes plus and if there is traffic than upwards of an hour. Scottsdale is probably an hour as well. There are a lot of great food options nearby. My fiance and I ate at the main, fancy restaurant once and it was good enough. Beyond the food offered by the Wigwam, there a couple options at the end of the street, and after that you are looking at chain food restaurants in the Goodyear area.

If you do stay hear, and are looking for food options, go to ground control, just up the street. It is mostly just bar food but pretty good bar food and they have gelato as well. But be prepared to wait though as they are in no hurry (it is a bar/coffee house).

I really am not happy to hate on the Wigwam but it honestly is a run down, old place that does not command or justify more than $100.00 a night. The grounds and pool area are outstanding but the rooms themselves are a huge disappointment. Sorry Wigwam, you need to spend some of the money on the inside too.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
3 Thank Jeffrey D
TheWigwam, General Manager at The Wigwam, responded to this review, February 11, 2013
It’s disappointing that although you’ve shared an appreciation for our resort’s grounds and pool, we were not able to fully impress you during your stay. We truly regret that your accommodations did not live up to your expectations but we are grateful for your feedback. Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts with us, we hope that one day you will allow us the pleasure of welcoming you back again.
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 9, 2013

Came to the Wigwam for a scientific retreat and the place is just perfect for that. The conference center is well organized for meetings and the resort adds a little special to the meeting. I liked the ambiance, jazz playing in the grounds, and fantastic oasis pool. The atmosphere was particularly conducive to networking.

The best thing about the Wigwam is the customer service, which is better than I have experienced in a very long while. Everyone was attentive, gave attention to detail and went the extra mile. When I asked to stay for 3.5 hours past check out time, no problem. Everyone was friendly and gave the impression they genuinely wanted to help. The maid cleaned the room spotless and with attention to detail, I had a cold and took the tissue box near my bed, rather than take it back to the bathroom, I received a second box. The food servers were friendly and attentive to special request. This is of course what one expects at a good hotel but rarely gets it.

I stayed in the oasis area, which was newly renovated. The room was huge, comfortable, great bed and quiet. The room overlooks the Oasis pool, which is fantastic. Large, heated to a perfect temperature, lit at night. It was right out my room and with the heating, I went swimming in January, with 45 degrees outside and delighted in it. After some laps, the hot-tub next to the pool with colleagues. Fun and relaxation.

I would most gladly come back again for a meeting, but I would not come here for a vacation. The resort does not hold enough to entertain either a coupe or family staying all day and in is not located well for excursions being in the suburbs, neither in the city, nor is some beautiful spot. For a meeting, it is perfect.

Room Tip: Go for the Oasis rooms! Newly renovated, quite and near a great pool.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 stars
Thank you for your kind acknowledgement of the services you received at The Wigwam; our staff is committed to ensuring that our guests’ time at the hotel is memorable. We were elated that you enjoyed your time with us when visiting the conference and that you found the atmosphere of our resort to be conducive to networking. In addition to enjoying our pools and Jacuzzi, guests of The Wigwam can have fun getting in a round of golf on any of our three championship courses; play a game of tennis or bocce, working out in our fitness center and being pampered at the Red Door Spa. We hope that you will return soon as it would be our pleasure to welcome you back again.
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 8, 2013

For a business meeting, I felt so relaxed in the setting The Wigwam has to offer. The rooms were so nice and big; the concerierge staff at the front were always accommodating driving us around in golf carts. They had two great pools, with great prickly pear margaritas. Loved the restaurants, food was good, loved the Sunday fresh market on the lawn, the music piped in while walking the grounds, the fire pits and more. Loved Arizona and wouldn't mind going back to this place for our next meeting.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 stars
The Wigwam Farmer's Market is held on our front lawn and features fresh fruits, vegetables and handcrafted delicacies from the local area. We’re so happy you enjoyed the Sunday market as well as our accommodations, restaurants, and pools while staying with us for your business meeting. It would be our pleasure to welcome you back for your next meeting or for a leisurely getaway. Thank you very much for your review.
Orange Park, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 7, 2013

Just got back from a managers meeting held at this resort with a little over 340 fellow employees. I must say they handled our crowd with great ease. Their conference facilities were great and the staff was amazing.
The rooms were very roomy and clean as well as fairly modern. Pool was good with a great pool bar, and I highly recomend their Desert Rum Punch. Not to many of them though. The attached golf course was fair. It was in very good shape but if you are looking for a picturesque course, I would go else where. I saw several on the way from the airport.
We had a great dinner at a place they call sunset point. They built a fake western town facade and did an outside arizona style cook out with western games such as hatchet throwing, quick draw and roping. The view of the mountains at sunset and the smell of the ribs cooking on the grill were an amazing experience.
I dont know if this would be my first choice for an arizona vacation but if you want something quiet and relaxing with good access to the area it is a good choice.

Room Tip: I stayed in the villa style rooms. They were close to everything and very nice.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 stars
Thank you for your review of The Wigwam. It was a pleasure to having you stay with us for the conference as we truly enjoyed meeting and taking care of your group. Our resort offers a variety of indoor and outdoor settings for meetings and, as you mentioned, a dinner at Sunset Point, our signature Old West-flavored outdoor venue with a stunning backdrop of the Arizona desert. We hope that you will return soon whether it is for business or for leisure. Thank you.
Denver, Colorado
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 7, 2013

This resort feels like "old" Phoenix and it was the perfect backdrop for a relaxing weekend. There is something here for everyone here: 3 golf courses, spa, several pools, and a nice choice of restaurants all serving great food. The service is topnotch and all the staff was consistently professional and eager to help. Our room was lovely, with a very comfortable bed and large patio. We will be back!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars
At The Wigwam we thoroughly enjoy taking care of our guests and helping create a wonderful experience. We’re thrilled that you had a relaxing weekend with us. Your praise for our staff is greatly appreciated, thank you. We hope that you will allow us the pleasure of welcoming you back again soon.
Topeka, Kansas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 6, 2013

We loved our stay here!! We came to cheer on K-State at the Fiesta Bowl! The location was great and we enjoyed spending time on the resort grounds also. While on our vacation, I came down with the flu :(. I felt very comfortable at the Wigwam during my illness. The staff was very helpful and accommodating to me. I would recommend the Wigwam to everyone!!!

Room Tip: The rooms are very spacious and we could not hear any noise from outside or neighboring rooms.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
    • 5 of 5 stars
We’re delighted that you loved your stay at The Wigwam for the Fiesta Bowl but we are so sorry you were feeling under the weather. It is always our pleasure to help our guests in any way we can, including making them extra comfortable when they are ill. Please come back again for another visit as we would love to welcome you back.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Litchfield Park
Camelback East
Royal Palms Resort and Spa

Been to The Wigwam? Share your experiences!