“Great Staff, Gorgeous Grounds, Room Very Dated”
Review of The Wigwam

The Wigwam
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Litchfield Park
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed November 7, 2011

First the many, many positives:

The grounds of the resort are immaculate, and beautiful. You truly feel like you've stepped back in time to an old-line Arizona resort. The staff, almost to a person, were incredibly friendly and helpful. Restaurant was really good, bar was fun. Main lodge has been recently redone so it combines old world charm with updated amenities.

Which brings us to the room. It looks to have been redone last in the eighties maybe? I know there's a push button phone by the toilet, if that tells you anything. The room was clean, bed was great, linens were mostly nice (a couple of the towels seemed also to date to the eighties.) So there's just a big decor issue here: you're paying $300 night you expect the room to be, well, a bit swanky rather than tired.

There were also functional issues, the shower head leaked so water pressure was poor. I mean I'm huddling under the shower-head trying to get wet in a $300 a night room? Come on! In the shower itself the caulking was coming out between some of the tiles, paint chipped on the door frame. Etc etc: very tired.

Some of the staff said they are redoing the rooms. This is literally all the place needs to be a sort of perfect oasis. But in the meantime unless you get a heck of a deal on the room rate I'd stay away. Come for dinner, schedule an event there (so long as no one has to spend the night) but until rooms are redone this isn't a good value. I feel bad saying it because the staff were all so great but...

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled on business
2  Thank Zaraselby
TheWigwam, General Manager at The Wigwam, responded to this reviewResponded November 15, 2011

We would like to thank you for highlighting those aspects of your stay that you found to be so positive, such as our staff and our 440 lushly landscaped acres at The Wigwam. Exceptional guest service is the ultimate goal and top priority of our staff and your gracious praise of their efforts is greatly appreciated. We do however regret that your room accommodations were not up to your expectations and that you experienced some functional issues as well. It is encouraged that our guests share any concerns with us during their stay so that they may be addressed promptly to create a better overall experience. We hope that we have the opportunity to welcome you back again.

There are newer reviews for The Wigwam

Reviewed October 31, 2011

We recently stayed at the Wigwam, booking 2 rooms for our family. We had a problem right from the start when they would not honor the price quoted by their reservation staff for a 2 room suite. We thought we were set, even given a confirmation number, but when the emailed confirmation arrived it was almost twice the quoted price. After several calls to the hotel, and speaking with the manager, they said "sorry we made a mistake" and would not come down at all on the price. We wanted to stay at the Wigwam since several more family members were coming to golf the next day, so we ended up booking 2 single rooms. The rooms were fine, but we were disappointed. I did think it was odd that the rooms don't have a mini-fridge, especially since it was so hot outside, it would have been nice to have cold water and a place to put left-overs. We ate breakfast at Red Allen's both morning - the food was good and plentiful. The grounds of the resort are beautiful and well kept. In general it was a lovely place to stay.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank Allison B
TheWigwam, General Manager at The Wigwam, responded to this reviewResponded November 8, 2011

We do understand how frustrating it can be when information is not conveyed correctly, and we hope that time with family on the links made your stay more enjoyable. Refrigerators are available, upon request, for a small fee per stay. Please let us know if there is anything we could have done to make your stay at The Wigwam more comfortable, and we look forward to having you stay with us again very soon.

Reviewed October 10, 2011

We booked a room for a single night for a "staycation" in Phoenix and to take advantage of Spa Week at the Red Door spa (and my birthday). When we arrived, a local merchant market was taking place in the parking lot, which was nice. Reception greeted us well and our room was ready at noon. That was great because we really just wanted to sit by the pool for hours and read.

When I booked, I asked for a quiet room with a patio/balcony and I liked the idea of a soaking tub based on the tub I got a Loew's in Tucson. They recommended the Adobe Terrace room, which was a slight upgrade from their traditional rooms. We got to the room and weren't quite sure what to make of it. The room was huge, but sparse - a lot of empty wasted space. It seemed like it needed a couch not a chair, but it was too square to accomodate one. It had a small wet bar sink, but for no real reason that I could see. The patio was a bit odd - pretty much straight open to the tennis courts, and the bathroom was freakish. The soaking tub was just a deep tub - not like the Loews that was big enough for two and luxurious. This looked like it would be in a hospital. And it was an oddly laid out bathroom - long and thin. And overall, it just looked a little shabby and smelled very musty. But it did fit my requirements - so that was that.

Then we got changed to go to the pool. My barefoot husband immediately noticed that there was water around the toilet on the bathroom floor, and the front entrance carpet was soaked. I called to the front desk and they sent an engineer immediately. The engineer blamed the wet carpet on when housekeeping washes off the cement outside the front entrance (which just seemed wrong to me - the room next door wasn't wet, and why would they make a habit of that if it results in a wet room?). Then he said the toilet just suffered from a loose valve. I asked if we should get another room and he said no, he'd get housekeeping to dry the floor. While we were getting set to go to the pool, he came back and said he talked to housekeeping and that the previous guests had spilt water in the entrance, and they'd bring a fan. Ok - then why did they give us this room if they new the carpet was wet? Whatever - it was pool time. Four hours later, we came back to the room and there was with a big fan running, a still wet carpet and a toilet that was running non-stop. And no note from management apologizing for the problems. I called the font desk and asked for a new room.

This time the person on the phone had a clue, and upgraded us to a much nicer suite room on the fairway. It was a night and day difference. This was resort living! There were still bits of oddness (a wet bar with no fridge, mini-bar or corkscrew?) but the view was great, it was clean, perfectly quiet and very livable. I'm glad the 2nd person on the phone understood that we would leave with a very bad impression if they didn't give us a nicer room after all that oddness.

Overall the resort was fine - not as nice as some we've been to and far more expensive than many, but it had charm. Wi-fi and parking were covered by the resort fee and the drinks by the pool were plesant. The main restaurant - Litchfield's - was closed though (it was a Sunday) and the 2nd restaurant (Red Allen's) couldn't acommodate our diet (vegan) so we had to eat off site. Odd little details though - the first room had two robes, the second one had only one, the first room had two backup rolls of toilet paper, this had none (and the role was 3/4 gone). But those are minor details. The pool was good too, btw, but the spa pool was much more relaxing and quiet - so book a treatment and spend the day there!

Room Tip: Get a suite - they are much nicer than the traditional rooms.
  • Stayed: October 2011, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Soniab13
Reviewed October 10, 2011

I visit the resort for Computerword event, the facilities, the organization, and the service are excellent, but I like it is the place, it is as being in an oasis in the desert.

Room Tip: it would be a good idea to put some announcement for 10, where I need to leave to go to the hotel.
  • Stayed: September 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed October 9, 2011

My husband & I, family/friends, recently stayed at the Wigwam to attend a wedding. Our son was best man and lives in Phoenix with his fiancee, so we all enjoyed the beautiful amenities at the resort....from the beautiful view from our Oasis Terrace Room balconies..to the pools (loved by the grandkids!), to the outstanding Spa massages, to the delicious culinary offerings, to the wonderfully friendly staff throughout the Wigwam, and most importantly, to a magical wedding ceremony & reception! We've stayed at various resorts in the Phoenix area over the years, and can say the Wigwam was the most welcoming and best value! Thank you to Wigwam Management for offering the "Salute to the Heroes" program for those who serve our communities--whether military, law enforcement, fire fighters, or first-aid responders!

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed October 5, 2011

I visit Phoenix a couple of times a year at a minimum to visit my daughter. Normally I stay at one of the hotels in the Litchfield Park/Tolleson/Goodyear area with Comfort Suites being my usual choice. But this time around I found their prices had gone up significantly; $99+tax. On a lark I decided to try the Wigwam as I had caught a special back in 2005 that was very affordable. I got lucky again. For $20 more per night, I got a huge upgrade from my usual hotels.

The rooms at the Wigwam are huge. Mine was about 400 square feet. It was clean and well provisioned with big comfy beds, large desk, couch, TV and plush towels. It had a patio as well. The bathroom was large with big walk in closet and a shower with enough water pressure to strip barnacles off a ship. The only minus: no mini-fridge. But that's a subjective issue. For the three nights we were there, the rooms were quiet and I was able to get sound, undisturbed sleep. The rooms also have high speed wired and wireless internet which is free ( covered as part of the resort fee that is charged). This is worth mentioning since other "resorts" I've stayed at charged outrageous prices for their service.

The resort has two pools. Both are very large with standard hot tubs near by. The biggest of the two (see my photos) is family friendly. This is the one my daughter was fond of. It has a large lap-style pool with a small "lazy river" connecting it to a shallower kids area. A splash area sits off the the side for the smallest of kids and there is a double water slide (that unfortunately was undergoing some maintenance when we were there). This pool also has a bar and grill with food available pool side. It was yummy. Additionally, the staff keep you well supplied with ice water in the 100+ degree heat.

I only ate at one of the three restaurant on the property, Red Allen's over by the golf course. We had breakfast there and it was excellent. Coffee and juice were fresh. My daughter had the buffett and gave it a thumbs up. I had an omelet that was rather large and very tasty.

A special mention for the staff. All were friendly and seemed happy to see us. Upon check-in, a valet followed us to the room, carried in our bags and showed us the amenities. One day I left my camera at the pool. A staff member picked it up and turned it in to lost and found. When I noticed it was missing, they front desk was on it and had it to me within 10 minutes. Huzzah for honesty! The staff at Red Allen's were all very friendly and service was excellent.

So in summary, if you're staying on the west side of the Phoenix metro area do yourself a favor and look into the Wigwam. For the extra cost, it was well worth it when you compare what you get for your money.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled solo
1  Thank John R
Reviewed October 3, 2011

My wife and I recently stayed at the WigWam for 3 nights / 4 days on the golf package. It was exactly what we were looking for. We wanted a nice resort with a good pool that had easy access to golf. Our room was right on the golf course and was 100 yards from the clubhouse and 100 yards from the pool!

For golf, we played the Red (twice) and the Gold (once). Overall, I felt it was a great value for the quality of both courses. We never had to wait on a golf shot once and played the rounds in 3 hours and 15 minutes. The only negatives were that the courses were a little lengthy for women and the greens were not the fastest.

For price and convenience, I don't think there was a better property in the Phoenix area.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Adam P
TheWigwam, General Manager at The Wigwam, responded to this reviewResponded October 11, 2011

We are so happy to hear that you felt your recent stay at The Wigwam was great value. Our championship 18-hole golf courses are a favorite of guests not only for their challenge but also for their setting in a natural terrain of trees, lakes, canals and streams. We look forward to welcoming you back again and again in the future.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Litchfield Park
The Phoenician, Scottsdale
The Phoenician, Scottsdale
#21 of 75 in Scottsdale
Omni Scottsdale Resort & Spa at Montelucia

Been to The Wigwam? Share your experiences!