“Floral Paradise in the Dessert”
Review of The Wigwam

The Wigwam
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Litchfield Park
GreenLeadersBronze level
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
“Floral Paradise in the Dessert”
Reviewed July 10, 2011

My husband and I were celebrating our one year wedding anniversary when we stayed at the Wigwam for our first night in Arizona. THe beautiful atmosphere (flowers, and gardens and birds singing) was very paradise like. From the minute we arrived at the Wigwam, we enjoyed our stay. The sweet woman who checked us in upon arrival, Kate, was delightful. I mentioned it was our first wedding anniversary and she gave us a bungalow near one of the pools, and across from the Elizabeth Arden spa. The room was so nice, the bed comfortable and the pool so refreshing. I took advantage of the $99 facial, manicure, makeup deal and loved every minute of my visit to the Elizabeth Arden Spa. THe staff is top notch! My sister in law had sent us a gift basket and the hostess brought it to our room after we returned late from having dinner and drinks. It was so nice of her to walk it down to our bungalow for us, rather than make us come pick it up. We will certainly stay at the Wigwam again, if we travel through that part of Arizona.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
TheWigwam, General Manager at The Wigwam, responded to this review, July 31, 2011
Congratulations on your first anniversary! We’re honored to have been a part of this momentous occasion and it’s nice to hear how our staff helped to make it more special. The Elizabeth Arden Red Door Spa offers many fabulous treatments and we’re glad you enjoyed your time there. We hope you’ll find your way back to Arizona soon as it would be our pleasure to welcome you back to The Wigwam!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (433)
Goodyear, Arizona
Reviewed July 7, 2011

A few years ago, my daughter and I stayed at the Wigwam and enjoyed ourselves. The food was good, the rooms had refrigerators and the atmosphere was laid back. I was very excited that the Wigwam had been bought, renovated and was under new management for several reasons. One, we are moving to the West Valley and two, we desperately need an upscale resort in the West Valley.
The check in person was friendly enough, although I had to ask him where the restaurants where on the map which prompted him to tell me but did not prompt him to tell me which ones serve breakfast, etc. or anything else about the property. It's a huge property. Our room was by the Oasis pool and when I asked him where the pool with the slide was, he circled it and said, "It's not a long walk."
The room was nice- big bathroom, comfy beds, and nice size balcony. The TV was an older flat screen model, we ordered a movie and the picture was fuzzy!! How could that be in this age of HD? The balcony was filthy- I am not saying it was just dirty like someone hadn't swept or washed it down in a week. It was filthy- bird poop, spider webs, debris. The door to the balcony locks automatically behind you, so if you don't put the latch in the door frame to wedge it open...you will be in trouble. I did just that the second morning and thankfully was able to wake my tween up to save me.
The food served by the grill at the pool, on the first day, was excellent. I had a fantastic grilled chicken salad and my daughter loved her chicken tenders. Our room service at night was also good- although the room service menu is extremely limited.
The food at the pool, the second day, was not good. I won't go into it here but, we were both extremely disappointed and I brought it to the manager's attention, she was gracious enough to accommodate. I will say that the waiter, although polite, was clueless about the menu he was serving.
The internet access was sketchy at best and was down for most of our second day. On our final morning- the water would not turn on.
I have to say that I liked the Wigwam better a few years ago. Maybe it was because I didn't expect too much then and now I expected the resort to be more in line with the resorts in the East Valley after they sank money into it.
The resort's renovations leave it feeling discombobulated. It doesn't feel like it has a core. We had a hard time finding our way around. The signage for direction is poor. When you stop and ask an employee- their directions are poor…perhaps because they don’t know their way around?
The room- I am 5’ 5” – pretty average height. However, the chair for the desk is too low so it's not comfortable to work on your computer at the desk. It's hard to find an open outlet in the room to charge your computer, etc. (This is a hotel pet peeve of mine- why they don’t put a few strip outlets in is beyond my comprehension). There are two garbage cans in the entire room- one under the desk and one in the bathroom. There is not a garbage can in the coffee bar area. Also, the makeup mirror is in this area and not in the bathroom which I find odd.
The housekeeper knocked on our door on our first morning at 9AM to clean! I told her to come back later- she handed me towels and never, ever came back. Aren't there enough people checking out that they could clean those rooms first? Why oh why would they knock on anyone's door at 9 AM when they know the guests in that room are staying another night?
The coffee in the room is Starbuck's; however the coffee served in the grill is not and it's not good. The coffee pot in the room is outdated and should be replaced by one of those one-cup machines.
They do supply toiletries- lotion, soap, shampoo and conditioner; although it is not what you find offered in upscale resorts. It's cheap.
The new pools are nice, although the Oasis pool was warm, like bath water and there is no service there. The Lodge pool is a good sized pool. The slide was not operating on our first day there -"maintenance" problems. Personally, I think the lifeguard just wanted a day off after the busy 4th of July weekend. The second day it was operating, but not consistently throughout the day. In fact, it was closed more than it was open.
The grill at the pool closed at 5 pm on both days- drinks and everything!!! Are you kidding me!?
The resort's website states that the $18.00 resort fee includes internet access, free parking (big deal), internet cafe (no one ever explained to us what this is) and bottled water. I usually bring water with me to hotels but, after reading this I decided not to. Big mistake! When we got into the room- they offered small bottles of Fiji water for $5.00 each, I called the Operator to see if this were the bottled water that were offered with the resort fee? I was told, “No, your bottled water is given to you upon check out." And now, that I am sitting here writing this review, I realize that we were never given our bottled water!! I don't mind buying the resort bottled water but $5.00 for a small bottle of Fiji!?
Which brings me to my final gripe (almost) - there is not a shop on the premises. There is no where to buy a decent coffee or sunscreen or bottled water or a snack! I know the Litchfield area so; I walked off the premises to buy water. Years ago there was a market in town, but that is no longer there so I bought some bottled water at a pizza place.
Upon check out- I was asked, "Did you enjoy your stay?" I said, "Well, not really. For example, we did not have water this morning in our room." She said, "Oh, I'm sorry." I said, "And there were other things...." My voice trailed off thinking she would follow up. She didn't. Please don't ask if you don't care!
The West Valley needs an upscale resort; Wigwam is not that.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
8 Thank lada3
TheWigwam, Manager at The Wigwam, responded to this review, July 13, 2011
The level of detail that you’ve shared is deeply appreciated. It is apparent that we did not achieve the best experience with you during your time here at The Wigwam. Although there were some successful moments such as comfortable accommodations and dining, we recognize that the level of consistency and customer relations were not up to the standards that we expect to deliver to each and every guest. Your input has given us insight from a guest’s unique perspective which will be used to address the areas that need attention so that we may continue to inspire return visits. Thank you for your candid feedback and we hope you’ll give us another opportunity in the future.
Scottsdale
Reviewed July 6, 2011

I recently stayed at the Wigwam Golf Resort & Spa for one night with my husband. We had a wonderful experience! The resort is about 45 minutes away from our home, so we enjoyed a nice "staycation."

After checking in, we were greeted by Les, which was one of the highlights of our stay. Les has been working at the Wigwam for more than 40 years, and was a wealth of knowledge about how the area's changed over the years. The Wigwam seems to value its history, and chatting with Les was a treat.

The resort recently underwent some renovations, and we enjoyed the new main pool and restaurant, Litchfield's. We hung around the main pool all day on Friday, and it was busy but not overly crowded. Litchfield's was the same that evening, and food was enjoyable (I ordered pasta and my husband ordered steak). After dinner, we listed to a two-person band and lounged out on the patio.

All around, a great resort experience at a reasonable price!

ATL
Reviewed July 5, 2011

A beautiful property with outstanding service in a great location. Just outside the hustle and bustle of downtown Phoenix but close enough to join the action with a short drive.

The property is located in an quaint little town with a few restaurants/bars across the street. Between the hotel's watering holes and those nearby, you'll never be thirsty.

As with every Destination Hotels and Resort I have stayed, the service is phenomenal.
We stayed in a suite which was more than room enough for the family of four. We spent almost as much time on the balcony overlooking the pool as we did in the pool(s).

Highly recommend and I will stay at the Wigwam at the next opportunity.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled with family
Lapeer, Michigan
Reviewed July 1, 2011

We just had a short stay in Phoenix so we did not get to use all of the amenities, but the room was roomy yet cozy, very clean and well stocked. The room service was prompt and courteous, the food was absolutely delicious. About the only thing I can complain about was there being a charge to have an in-room refrigerator, $25 per stay. I had never heard of that before and just assumed that the use of the small in-room refrigerator was included in the room, but apparently not. Other than that it was a pleasant stay.

Peoria, Arizona
Reviewed June 29, 2011

The renovations to the rooms, main pool, main building and Red's look fabulous and we enjoyed every minute of our time there. The staff was extremely friendly and helpful, the front desk even informed us of a promotion that we could utilize for our next stay. Although the walk to the new Red's location is a bit far in the Valley's summer heat, it was well worth it for the delicious food and service.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
Los Angeles
Reviewed June 28, 2011

I have been to The Wigwam twice now... both times the grounds were really beautifully done. Back in May everything was brand new, green green grass, new plants, gorgeous landscaping. Looked really promising. The lobby and main common areas are ASTOUNDINGLY BEAUTIFUL. So well done, so comfortable, so classic and homey feeling at the same time. The main lobby breaks off into tons of little pocket rooms where you can lounge and enjoy yourself and read a book, enjoy a fireplace fire, or play a game. I can't even express how much I love these areas, just blissful and beautifully renovated. Absolutely some five star decorating going in in there! And the restaurant Litchfield's is superb. Honestly one of the best meals i've ever had in my life!
A little bonus is that you can choose to valet your car or park near your room. There is ample parking so if you don't want to completely unload your car you don't have to!
The only drawback are the rooms. The rooms were not renovated when I first stayed here back in May, and I hoped that they would be when we recently visited again this June, but were told they were not. When we stayed, the beds were godawful uncomfortable, they caved in the middle and were springy and horrible. The rest of the room was fine, nothing great, but nothing awful.
The televisions were small 1980's looking tube televisions though, which was almost laughable in this day and age, especially for a hotel with such luxury appeal elsewhere! But the real drawback was the bathroom. Oh man. The bathrooms.... they are small and dingy, yellowed white tiles that look like they have been there longer than most of the visitors there have been alive! The toilet was shover right up against the wall and was awkward and uncomfortable. Really, it was just gross. I'm in this area frequently and would love to stay here on a more regular basis, but not until the rooms get the same treatment the rest of the property has been given. The bathrooms are really bad enough that I willingly drove an hour out of my way twice a day to stay at the Four Seasons because I knew that wouldn't even be an issue.
The Wigwam has the potential to be an extremely impressive property, but the rooms and horrendous bathrooms are really holding this place back. Once that gets remedied the Four Seasons might have some serious competition!

• Stayed May 2011, traveled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Litchfield Park
Camelback East
Royal Palms Resort and Spa
Sanctuary Camelback Mountain
#1 of 5 in Paradise Valley

Been to The Wigwam? Share your experiences!