“High on hill”

and up
Cape Town City Pass including Two Oceans Aquarium and District Six Museum
Ranked #3 of 53 things to do in Paarl
Reviewed March 16, 2013

The history of the monument and design was very informative and architectural. You have to walk up hill a lot of steps to reach the monument. It is cool under the monument and quiet with a good view of Paarl. We had milkshakes at the little cafe and it was flavourable but thin.

1  Thank Jagluiperd

Reviewed March 15, 2013

We visited here but were not expecting too much as we had heard it had got a bit run down. However we found the small entrance charge (R15) was well worth it. We had a free short guided tour for just my husband and I as we were the only visitors there, the booklet explained the symbolism of the monument which is very well kept as were the surrounding gardens, there is a small shop and cafe serving light meals and drinks and a lovely seating area inside and out with fantastic views of the surrounding countryside.If you have an hour to spare well worth a visit!

1  Thank popeadventure
Reviewed March 15, 2013

Walking around the monument you will find a lot of information. The views from the top of the Taalmonument are amazing. Nice restaurant but service is slow.

1  Thank Jasper L
Reviewed March 14, 2013

I took two friends (English and French) to this symbol of the Afrikaans language. As I am passionate about my home language, Afrikaans, I explained the symbolism to them. I was proud to see they perfectly understood and embraced it. The terrain is well kept, the view is unique. Perhaps management should fine people that litter in such a place.

1  Thank obiekwa7
Reviewed February 21, 2013

We went there without any expectations and were pleasantly surprised! There werent any people when we went so we sort of had the whole place to ourselves. The drive up is really nice and once you are up at the monument site, the views are superb and absolutely picturesque. The area of the monument is well maintained and is really beautiful. They have picnics on full moon evenings but we weren't able to attend them. But it is really beautiful, really interesting and nice to spend an hour or two.

1  Thank HrishiS