“Nice setup but becoming touristy” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Pontac Manor Hotel

Pontac Manor Hotel
Ranked #11 of 14 Hotels in Paarl
Cape Town Central, South Africa
“Nice setup but becoming touristy”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 24, 2013

We've stayed at Pontac Manor a number of times over the years, but it seems to have lost the boutiquey charm and now caters for volumes of tourists. The outstanding restaurant has been replaced by a Cattle Baron. For the cost, we would probably search out a homely B&B with involved owners...

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank WestvigK

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
Paarl, South Africa
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 30, 2013

I would like to take the time to express my utmost disappointment in the services of Pontac Manor Hotel – never have I EVER felt so humiliated before in my life. On 15 February 2012, I [specifically] made a booking for the honeymoon suite, for the night of 15 December 2012 – just to check in to some standard-nothing-special room, on the first night of our wedding (15 December 2012). After hours of initially looking for the perfect overnight opportunity, I chose Pontac Manor. That must be the worst mistake I have ever made in my life. I was very ashamed towards my beautiful wife – who did not deserve this type of “romantic treatment”…

I was shocked to see that the “honeymoon suite” was not what I saw on the website (http://www.pontac.com/paarl-honeymoon-accommodation-cape-winelands). Even worse, that it was not what was described by the hotel manager, telephonically. The room we stayed in was next to the restaurant and dining area… We had the most unpleasant and rude awakening the next morning with staff preparing breakfast in the kitchen and guests having breakfast. Not to mention the two single beds (for honeymooners?) that we had to sleep on… Not the ideal overnight/ wake-up for honeymooners...

I was even more flabbergasted to find out that the actual honeymoon suite had been allocated to some well-known internationally acclaimed artist. Seriously! I have confirmed the booking on February 15 already and was not informed of the "change" throughout the whole year! Clearly Pontac's thoughts must have been that we would not even realize the difference…

In my opinion – I think the way that we have been treated; what was offered to us, is to say the least – shocking – in every sense of the word. I trust this is not the way that Pontac Manor wishes to conduct business. Our wedding’s service providers were some of the heavy weights in the industry – that is the main reason I chose to make the booking with Pontac and I am sure they could've done without a low-rating review. The manager did, in fact, contact me to apologise and offer a complimentary voucher or 50% refund. I declined this kind gesture, because no night will ever make up for the first wedding night - as I am sure most married couples will agree.

By accepting Pontac's offer of only paying 50% of the amount we paid, I assume they are holding me accountable for the other 50%... I had no hand in this matter and suggested to the manager he turn to his staff to pay up the other 50%.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
8 Thank RuanduP

Travelers are raving about these Paarl hotels

darmstadt
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 4, 2013

Well located in the middle of town, in large garden and quiet grounds. Large and comfortable althoug somewhat worn rooms in the main building. Airconditioning works well. A closer look reveals that some modernization would be good. The staff is very friendly and accomodating. The hotel has a pool and a reasonably good (for SA standards) steak house on the grounds. The large and comfortable terrace is a plus. The free wifi works well.

Room Tip: avoid room # 17
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Cape Town, South Africa
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 5, 2012

Spent a wonderful autumn night at this special hotel. Found the room great and the service special. Appreciated the friendliness and service from the staff. Breakfast lovely and could enjoy it outside. Will definitely be back.

Room Tip: A room with a view of the front garden!
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank amanda_ctza
Berlin, Germany
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 21, 2012

On your way back from garden route to cape town we stopped in the "wine" town Paarl. We were looking for a hotel for one night - and did not want to pay 400 Euro for the Grand Roche Hotel. So we ended in this 4 star hotel off the main road in a quiet area. At the first sight, the hotel building looks very nice (from a distance). The rooms+ bathrooms are large, breakfast is included, parking free. If you take a closer look, you can see that the details are not as at first sight. There is a tremendous lack of maintenance, all pavements are uneven, the pool not prepared for guest, the showers very old, liltte dirty and the general manager standing and looking around. the biggest disappointment was the breakfast. we were asked of having "eggs done to your liking" but what we got was a bit disgusting. boiled eggs with strange colour and water inside. all food was of poor quality, the cheese plate consisted of ONE kind of cheese, the sausages looked disgusting and the cereals were not worth even looking at. What a shame, as it could be much nicer there if ....well if.... I would rate this hotel not more than 3 stars and for the overall quality you get, the price is to high. By the way: we had diner at an italian restaurant called Bossa Nova, just within short and safe walking distance. We had "Meltz" and can recommend the place and food.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
5 Thank TDBBerlin
Johannesburg, South Africa
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 13, 2011

Good choice for business or holiday - the atmosphere and the service was excellent

Room Tip: Very quiet rooms, ideal for business travellers - table to work on.
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled on business
Wilderness
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 14, 2011

What a lovely place. From the drive into the garden up to the sprawling verandah, gives one a sense of peacefulness. Almost in the town, yet with the quietness of a country home. The rooms are spacious and airy, and although a little dated, one would just not expect to find a modern fitting in this grande old dame. The restaurant on the grounds makes it even more convenient. The breakfast room was a little full on arrival in the morning but no time was wasted in setting a table up for us in the lounge area, which suited us very well. We thoroughly enjoyed our stay, and all I can say is. Do not compare, rather just enjoy. You will not be sorry.

Room Tip: We had a corner room on the first floor. Careful booking this room should you have knee or back prob...
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled with friends