“My daughter's 21st Birthday party”
Review of Sante Hotel & Spa

Sante Hotel & Spa
Ranked #10 of 14 Hotels in Paarl
Johannesburg, South Africa
“My daughter's 21st Birthday party”
Reviewed September 5, 2012

Thank you SO much Bruce, Philiipe and team for a FANTASTic themed birthday( arabian Nights), as well as good service and gopd accommodation.

My daughter and her friends said it was the BESt weekend of their lives!

They will brinf back more people to visit

PS - and the MOST excqisite views

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank Antoinette G

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (55)
Newlands, Western Cape, South Africa
Reviewed August 24, 2012

I have in total been to Sante Hotel and Spa 4 times in the past year and cannot say a bad word.

Sante has become that place to get away from the hustle of business and the city and just switch off and relax.

The rooms are exquisite and the service is always first class. I get updated newsletters and personal birthday wishes on my birthday. I absolutely love their loyalty program and The spa is one of my favorite places.

The therapists are always professional, treatments are amazing and I always feel so welcome.

I would recommend this establishment to anyone.

I have had some gastly experiences at hotels and spa's around the world who claim to be 5 star, but Sante always goes above and beyond expectation.

Regards
Pascale Dorp

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank Pascale D
Orionsante, Manager at Sante Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, August 29, 2012
Dear Pascale

Thank you for your review, we appreciate your feedback and look forward to seeing you back at Sante soon.

Best Regards
The Staff and Management
Durbanville, South Africa
Reviewed August 7, 2012

My wife and I visited Sante Spa for one night. Our reservation went a bit astray, but Jenni at reservation remedied that. Luckily our bookings for treatments were okay. It was pouring when we arrived. We were ushered to our Spa Suite, which was extremely spacious, albeit in need of some upgrade. A fire was packed in the fireplace and we were off to the treatment centre. The full body massages were really good and relaxing (1 hour of bliss) , then off to the jacuzzi, rain forest showers, steam room, massage chairs and sauna. After another shower, back to the room, getting ready for dinner in the Sommelier Restaurant. We had a pre-dinner drink in the bar area, which was very cosy. We then went to our table, right next to the fireplace. We ordered a Salmon Trio to share as a starter, which was really fantastic. As main course I had the lamb shank and my fie the Cape Salmon with pesto. My plate looked a bit bland. The shank was tasty, but not as tender that was expected. My wife was not very impressed with the fish, but the side dishes were very good. Service was very good. We did not have any deserts. Back to the room, for a good night sleep. It was still pouring! After a good night sleep, my wife opted for the shower, but the pressure was so low on the hot water, that I decided to take a bath. Then off to breakfast. It was quite a spread, and very tasty. Coffee and juices were very good. Eggs had to be ordered from the kitchen, and we both opted for Egg Florentine. These dishes were really fantastic! Then it was back to real life again! All in all , an enjoyable experience.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank HeinOos
Orionsante, Manager at Sante Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, August 17, 2012
Dear Sir, Madam,

Thank you for your review, we really appreciate your feedback and are alctively using this as the foundation for us to grow and improve our service to all of our customers. We would love to see you back at Sante and hopefully soon.

Johannesburg, South Africa
Reviewed July 19, 2012

I have put off reviewing this hotel since November 2011, because I haven't wanted to talk about our experience publicly. But 6 months on, I am still angry about what happened and how we were treated by management afterwards.

In short:

My husband, my 7-month-old baby and I were held at knifepoint and robbed of our valuables in a traumatic incident in our room at this hotel, and management made promises (including paying for trauma counselling) but did nothing.

The details:

My husband, my baby and I were staying in one of the hotel's villas, as part of a family celebration on the estate. The villa housed 4 couples - 2 upstairs and 2 downstairs. We were downstairs. On check-in, we were given a key to the front door of the villa and the other 3 couples were given individual room keys. We were not. We requested one, but it never came - even after a second request.

Two nights later, on our final night at the hotel, four men wearing masks broke into the villa and gained access to our room, where the door was closed but not locked. (They tried the other 3 doors, but found them locked.) They held us at knifepoint and robbed us of our valuables: jewelry, phones, camera, iPad, wallets, clothing, sunglasses. They were not violent but they were aggressive and the incident was extremely frightening, especially with a tiny baby present. When they left we raced to the security gate at the front of the estate, where the police were called and the on-site security alerted. We spent the night at my sister’s.

The next morning, having heard nothing from management (who had been alerted), we went to find them and were told that they were desperately sorry, would cover trauma counselling for us and would cover the costs of our losses, so that we did not have to claim such a large sum from our own insurers.

Well, after five months of avoiding us and making promises (in writing and telephonically), nothing happened and we decided to claim on our own end. We wrote off the loss but we remain devastated by the incident, and by the fact that staying in a hotel room on a country wine estate is no guarantee of safety.

Room Tip: Don't stay there. It's dangerous. We discovered later that our attack was the fourth such in...
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled with family
2 Thank TiffanyMarkman
Orionsante, Manager at Sante Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, July 25, 2012
Dear Tiffany

Thank you for your feedback on Sante’. We honestly welcome and appreciate your feedback and are excited that we have this forum to address each of our guests concerns and highlight issues that our new management team may have missed or need to address...

We are extremely shocked to hear of your experience from late last year and sincerely hope to be able to clarify where Sante is today and why you more than likely received no response from the previous management company running Sante.

Sante’ has been through a rocky path to get to this point in time, the previous management company was unfortunately put into liquidation and we took over the reins on the 01 of April 2012. At this point we took over a barely functioning shell that was neglected and understaffed, preventative maintenance was non-existent and we knew at this point that we had a task on our hands to return this property to its former glory.

I would assume the understaffing and disorderly affairs at Sante before we took over the property may have contributed to your nightmare of an event, unfortunately we have very little control over what the previous management group promised and where not aware of this event until your report was published. I do understand that this event took place around November 2011 and as such we had no involvement in the management of the property and its security…We are however extremely concerned about incidents such as this and our team is actively working on security issues.

Although we had no part and where not involved in Sante at the time of your unfortunate and stressful experience, as a company we do recognize that each customer is important to our success and as a gesture of goodwill would love to extend an invitation for you to experience a secure Sante under our new management team.

Thank you again for your review and we look forward, with your feedback and help to making the star of the winelands shine brightly.

The Management Team

Travelers are raving about these Paarl hotels

Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed July 15, 2012

Wish I had read these reviews before...I also was not provided with "promises"...the alcoholic welcome drink was juice...the "welcome foot soak" was a 2 minute foot wash...leading up to my two night stay the communication with JENNI GERBER the Reservation Manager was lax and unprofessional...it's a MONET---looks good from afar!!!

Good points: had a great massage by Josiah (think that was his names), and facial by Carmen.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank loveleighalice
Orionsante, Manager at Sante Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, July 26, 2012
Dear Sir / Madam,

Thank you for your review, we are thankful for your feedback and are using this forum as a management tool to fix areas that need work...We have recently taken over the property and as such have spent a large amount of our time recruiting new staff and training. Each hotel requires a lot of effort to raise the levels of service and maintenance to get Sante to the level our valued guests expect.

We are glad you enjoyed the Spa we are very proud of it and hope to have the opportunity to show you the revitalised Sante under our new Management Team.

I noticed you are from Boston, MA, Lovely part of the world... with lovely people, I have dear friends in Boston,as well as Marblehead and the elbow on the Cape...

Our sincere apologies and we hope to have you back soon

The Management
Cape Town Central, South Africa
Reviewed June 12, 2012

Despite the wonderfully warm reception from the staff, our stay at Sante was a total disappointment. A depressing air of neglect and clear indications of financial difficulties abound. Holes in the curtains, broken blinds, damp and freezing cold greeted us on entering our room. There was no min-bar (although advertised) and the tv was tiny, outdated with extremly poor reception and picture quality. It took over an hour once the fire was lit to warm the room up to a bearable temperature.

We should, however, have been forewarned as when trying to book it took 5 e mails over the space of 2 weeks to get our booking confirmed. Mere days before our arrival we were informed that the pool in the wellness centre was undergoing maintanence and would be unavailable - too late to change our booking at this stage! The poor apology that was recieved went along the lines of a problem only arising a couple of days before and that this was unavoidable. However, when reading other reviews on this site, it appears that this problem already exisited in at least May! We were clearly lied to!

All in all, our experience at Sante was a disgusting letdown. Certainly NOT a 5 star establishment!!

I would certainly not recommend!

Room Tip: i would not choose this establishment!
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Sandiman7
Orionsante, Manager at Sante Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, August 2, 2012
Dear Sir Madam,

Thank you for your review, we apprecaite each review submitted and use this as our new Management Team's scorecard for bringing Sante to the level that the property deserves. We have made huge strides since your stay with new staffing, our maintenance programs are in full swing and an energised Management Team is on standby to look after our guests needs.

We are looking forward to seeing more reviews on Santes progress over the coming weeks and would love to see you back at Sante soon.

south africa
Reviewed May 11, 2012

Our experience at Sante seem to echo that of many others, but we saw both the good and the bad. Fortunately I stayed here with a discounted voucher so did not pay the full price, and for that reason only I tried to rather focus on the beautiful setting, lovely view from the room and the friendliness of all the staff we encountered. Personal rave factor: the beds are extremely comfortable and provide a great night's sleep, and I did really love the view and architecture.

However, my first problem was that our room was not ready upon check-in, and we were told they are still cleaning the bathroom. We decided to have lunch while waiting and upon entering the room all looked pleasant at first sight. However, it was a cold and rainy day and I was really looking forward to the fireplace which is so nicely advertised, but it seems that is just for show and its not in working condition! I then went to sit by the window to take in the view, only to find crumbled crisps all over the window seat. We had booked a treatment at the spa, and as we were staying in a spa suite, I was expecting spa gowns and slippers to be available - but nothing was to be found. The bathroom only had one towel, and I called reception for extra towels, gowns and slippers. They brought the gowns, but no towels and no slippers, and we had to walk barefoot in the rain all the way through the hotel and to the spa on the far side of the grounds. The spa treatment was lovely though and cannot fault them, but the pool was cold and there is only one small jacuzzi which was occupied so we headed back to the room. Went for a warm bath before dinner, and saw old used bars of soap, other kids' plastic toys and a jungle full of cobwebs behind the bath - this after we were told housekeeping was busy cleaning when we checked-in? Not good at all! I must admit we both enjoyed dinner, the lamb and my chicken curry was really delicious and all presented beautifully, and I'm quite partial to a good breakfast which contained more than enough of everything!
Unfortunately our stay ended with another creepy issue, in that I noticed the ant infestation problem in the bathroom as I stepped out the shower the next morning. One corner and the floor was taken over by these insects, and we tried to get out of there asap. Will I stay here again...? Maybe, if its free / No if I have to pay the advertised rate as it is definately NOT worth the price tag. At a 5* establishment the little things have to make a difference, and here the little things let them down big-time!

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
4 Thank omnitravelix
Dear Sir / Madam,

Thank you for your honest and welcome review of Sante, as a new Management Team we welcome the honest feedback.We have taken over a Gem of a property and have been polishing and preparing the Gem to shine brightly...

We apologies for delays in check in and other items that we may have missed, rest assured the staff compliment is back up and the property is looking good...We are busy at present and more and more happy clients are coming to Sante every day...

We would love to see you back to see the positive changes going on at Sante

The Management Team
Also consider these accommodations in or near Paarl
Cascade Manor
#1 of 1 in Windmeul
Le Franschhoek Hotel & Spa
Le Franschhoek Hotel & Spa
#9 of 11 in Franschhoek

Been to Sante Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!