“excellent kitchen”

Terra Mare
Ranked #1 of 93 Restaurants in Paarl
Good for: Romantic
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: This spot has a well-deserved long-standing reputation. Expect to find consistent food (that ever-elusive ingredient to success) and friendly, efficient service thanks to the personal care of the owner, Olivier, and his family team. This popular Paarl restaurant offers an intriguing mix of European-style dishes with the best that this area has to offer. The owners, Olivier and Delenia Jaeggi-Wright, he being Swiss and she of Italian descent, bring a European sensibility to a cuisine that is never precious, but concentrates on maximum flavour in generous portions - the kind of cooking that has made it a favourite with the locals for many years. Helping Olivier with the cooking is Thabo Nqadini, who has been at Terra Mare for 9 years, adding his very own African touch to the Swiss style of the house....
Berlin, Germany
“excellent kitchen”
Reviewed November 1, 2012

We went to the restaurant with a group of tourists of 28 persons in October 2012. The eat - three course menu - was perfect. Salmon parfait as starter was decorated wonderfully and aesthetically. The fillet of beef a dream. The service was frendly and attentive, the wine recommendation were suitably for a meal and, Oliver, the boss has even willingly explained his preparation method of the main corridor to us. Many thanks for it gastronomic highlight on our wonderful tour of South Africa. We will come back.
Karla, Berlin, Germany

Stellenbosch, South Africa
“Always a winner!”
Reviewed November 1, 2012

Having been to Terra Mare multiple times in the past, I have always been really impressed how Olivier and his team keep up the high standards. And last night was no exception. We had a great time with awesome food, good wine and great service. You can basically try anything on the menu, it is guaranteed to be delicious. And it is served by friendly, efficient staff while Olivier overseas everything with an expert's eye!

I can strongly recommend TM as the best restaurant in Paarl.

Morné

Paarl, South Africa
“Best by far!”
Reviewed October 30, 2012

I've been going to Terra Mare for years, since it's opening in fact, and I have never been disappointed. After ANOTHER superb meal this past Friday I thought I had to let the world know... I saw someone in another review remarked that it's a 'hidden gem' or something to that effect. What a pity as Terra Mare (and its staff) really deserve to be anything but hidden. And yes, even if they are filled to overflowing (as it was on Fri nite) everything went smoothly - my husband had a brilliant steak with all the trimmings and my gnocchi - yet again - was one of the best gnocchi's I've ever had. I highly recommend their risotto as well (my usual order!) but also their tuna and they make salads that should not even be called salads - they deserve a new noun. And then their antipasti... Okay, I can go on and on; suffice to say that they are by far the best in Paarl... and I need something to nibble on... pity I'm not in Paarl with some free time on my hands right now...

Visited October 2012
Dublin ireland
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“What a hidden gem”
Reviewed October 28, 2012

We were staying in Berghof Guest House, which was also a treasure of a place! ....and passing the TerraMare that evening 16th October, we wondered whether it was open. We drove into the car park at the rear and were shown the rear entrance by kitchen staff.
We were among the first to arrive around 18.30 hours. What a gem of a place! It was packed to capacity with patrons within an hour on a Tuesday evening! The food was wonderful, beautifully presented by courteous and knowledgeable staff. The owner was charming. Alas! - it was the last day of our vacation. Back in Europe now, I tell everyone that this restaurant is a 'must' for those visiting the Western Cape. What a gem! Lucky and privileged are the inhabitants of Paarl.

Addis Ababa, Ethiopia
“Always a great meal at Terra Mare”
Reviewed October 25, 2012

We made another visit to Terra Mare - always a guaranteed great meal there. My husband was anticipating the kudu special, but springbok was being offered that night instead. It was delicious. The staff at TM are attentive and helpful, and the owner, Oliver, 'works' the floor and helps with service like few others. You won't go wrong with a meal at TM. Make a booking on weekends, as it can fill.

Visited October 2012