“OUR PERFECT WEDDING DAY AT GRANDE ROCHE”
Review of Grande Roche Hotel

Grande Roche Hotel
Ranked #2 of 14 Hotels in Paarl
Reviewed May 7, 2010

We decided to have our wedding at Grande Roche on Sat, 3rd April 2010 and planned the event in detail from the UK with the help of ECCO Tours Groups team in Cape Town and Willem Van der Merwe (Grande Roche Functions & Events Manager). I have to say from the start that my husband and I have stayed at many 5-star rated hotels in the past, including ships like the Queen Mary, and we have to agree without a doubt that Grande Roche definitely deserves its 5-star rating, as it is evident in every aspect from the hotel's premises through to the professional & courteous staff.

The Grande Roche staff were on-hand during our entire three day stay. The service was impeccable and every request sorted out without a fuss. The day itself went off smoothly without a hitch. The food, to commemorate the day, was presented to a very high standard and our guests commented on the exquisite meal & service provided. The staff were also extremely accommodating on the day, especially for our guests with young children / babies and ensured all ran to plan. The wedding vineyard venue itself was idyllic and decorated to a very high standard. The grounds and rooms were immaculate. The scenery is spectacular & provided a superb backdrop with the added bonus that everything is in all one place. We have the most amazing pictures of our wedding day showing the mountains and well maintained gardens in the background.

The romantic meal (part of wedding package) we had on the Sunday night after our wedding in the Bosman’s restaurant was “out of this world” and our sommelier was incredibly knowledgeable and provided us with detailed insight into wine pairing and we enjoyed his recommendations. We also recommend lunch on their terrace on a sunny day; the views of the mountains are incredible!!

We cannot fault the Hotel and service in any way. We could not have chosen a more prefect place and part of South Africa to have celebrated our wedding day and a memorable beginning to our honeymoon.

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank MacMorden

Reviewed March 8, 2010

Beautiful hotel in a lovely area of Paarl with lovely suites on 2 floors. They only had a very small pool area which meant you couldn't alweays get a sun bed. The only real negative I would mention is in the restaurant. I don't eat red meat but I'm not a strict vegetarian, eating fish & chicken. I wanted to try the tasting menu with my husband which meant asking the chef to change a couple of the 7/8 courses. The waiter was very rude & said they never change the menu. After asking him to check with the chef he made a big deal about having to change things & how this is not something they normally do. I felt extremely uncomfortable & told him that I had eaten in many Michelin restaurants & never had a problem before to which he stomped off to speak to the chef again. Eventually they did sort something out for me but it left me upset & dreading the following nights meal. Be warned!

• Stayed: February 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 19, 2010

This was our second stay here and it really is almost perfect. The staff cannot be faulted, the rooms are superb and breakfasts/sundowners on the terrace are truly memorable.
The main pool is super - 15m - Franschhoek is only 35 mins away, and many nearby passes, villages and vineyards are worth visiting.
Our only minus, and a personal one, is that the only Relais Gourmand restaurant in Africa was not quite us - rich small portions and the menu was the same every night. A fellow guest who was staying 11 nights was driven to ordering room service meals in the main restaurant just for some variety. To be fair, the hotel also has an excellent bistro, much improved since our last visit, and there is a very good restaurant - Terra Mare - at the bottom of the short access road to the hotel.

• Stayed: January 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 3, 2010

The service here is exceptional. From champagne with check in to our (regretful!) departure...

Can we have a late check out? "Is 4pm ok for you?"
Can we book a massage? "Is an hours time in your room ok for you?"
Can I check in online for my flight? "Go to the pool and leave us the details, we will take care of it."

We could not fault this place at all. If only all hotels were like this one...

The tasting menu with accompanying wines was fantastic and again the service was first class.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 15, 2009

Stayed for 2 nights in November as part of a 2 week trip around South Africa (Western and Eastern Capes).

Welcomed as we parked the car in the rain by two members of staff with golf umberellas. Check-in was done in the lounge whilst enjoying a glass of wine. So much better than standing at a desk!

We were in the 'Dahlia' suite. Recently updated, so decor was modern and top quality - particularly the bathroom and the very comfortable bed. Bathroom was actually a shower room - dark floor tiles with underfloor heating. Extremely large walk-in shower - 'rain' shower head and separate head held shower head. His and hers sinks. Free standing, full sized, Molton Brown toiletries.

Terrace area at the front of the suite with table & chairs and a couple of sun loungers.

Turn down service - turn down, bottles of still water and glasses by the bed, candles and underfloor heating switched on in the shower room - all very nice.

Two pools at the hotel. One heated, one not. Unfortunately we had some unseasonably bad weather whilst there, so couldn't enjoy the pools.

Dinner at Bosman's restaurant at the hotel on the first night. Absoloutely 1st class fine dining. We both chose the 5 course 'Southen Harmony' menu. Oustanding food. Right up there with the best I have ever had. Service was the perfect balance of formal & professional yet relaxed and friendly.

Dinner the following night at the Allegro Bistro, more informal, but still great food with faultless service.

The hotel is set in beautifully maintained grounds and gardens and is surrounded by its own vineyard (we had the hotels own Cabernet Sauvignon with our meal - only 2 barrels produced a year I believe).

Staff were the best we encountered in South Africa (along with those at the Shamwari Townhouse in Port Elizabeth) - which is saying something as the service we experienced on all parts of our trip was brilliant.

An oustanding, real 5 star hotel that offers just about everything - beautiful setting, superb staff, luxurious, comfortable rooms and unforgettable fine dining.

• Stayed: November 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 28, 2009

No doubt that the Grande Roche is a top class hotel but I have to agree with some other reviwers that you can have nicer rooms for much lower price in the SA.
Nevertheless I must point out: Of course you can, but not in the Wine country and definitely not with restaurant of such a class!
The place itself, rooms, surroundings were really very good but not just perfect.
I would recommend this hotel to my friends but certainly not as a value for money.
So the probably the main reason why we would return is the restaurant - the cuisine was superb, one of the best we ever experienced and far the best from our SA trip!!!
The experience was "above the average Michelin star" restaurant :-)
One small (really small) spot was that some part of the restaurant staff (especially the older and more experienced guys) seemed to be so proud and selfconfident that their service was perfect but cold and without any warmth, it felt like "the guests should be grateful just to be allowed to sit and eat here", while the younger ones were smiling and ful of warmth.
Very good wine cellar, experienced sommelier.

• Stayed: March 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 10, 2009

We stayed at the Grande Roche for the first part of our honeymoon. It is an understatement to say that it was a PERFECT place, but I do not know how to better describe it in one word.

We flew from Atlanta to Cape town, and to be honest, the flight was not bad at all. Surprisingly enough the Delta crew on land in ATL were not very pleasant to deal with, or even helpful, but that has to do with another review :-)

If anyone is worried about the length of the trip, dont. The stop in Dakar halfway is a good break and you wait in a very nice waiting room area with TV, coffee facilities etc.

For ease of the review I will seperate the comments in the following categories: Transfer / Room / Food / Service / Activities

Transfer: I asked the hotel to organise a transfer from the airport to the hotel, and that was a seamless process. We landed an hour early, but still, the driver was there waiting for us. It was a very nice Mercedes and the fee was very reasonable. Wethen got to Grande Roche, and WOW what a beautiful property! It is in the Cape Dutch style, with thatched roofs, and is just stunning, and the service is true Relais Chateaux style... faultless

Room: We stayed in the Victoria suite and it was very nice, with views on the vineyards and the mountains. To be honest I dont think there is a bad room in the house. We had a living area with minibar and coffee and tea facilities. The bathroom was spacious, double sink, tub and shower. Molton and Brown amenities in the bathroom too, which were very nice. We had a drain problem in one of the Basins the first day but they came and fixed that. The bedroom was also very nice... nothing to complain about and the Housekeeping was very good

Food: I am not sure there is enough I can say about the food. It was truly excellent. They have two restaurants. Bosmans, is the fine dining and "main" restaurant and the food (and service) definetely at Michelin level... If you are a foody you will love it! And then there is the Bistro, which was also very good. Don't get mis-guided by the term "bistro". The food is in no way worse than bosmans... it is just a more casual atmosphere, and maybe slightly simpler food. We ate there a couple nights and enjoyed it throroughly.
Breakfast was also very nice. They had a beatiful continental buffet spread every morning, with everything you may imagine, and then a cooked option as well (eggs, omelettes, pancakes).

Service: Truly very good service. ALL the staff, from the housekeepers to the restaurant Manager were very courteous and helpful and no task and request was ever too much. T

Activities: We stayed at the GR for 5 nights and in that time organised through the hotel a Cape Town Tour, a Wine Region Tour and a hot air balloon outing ( a surprise for my wife!). Unfortunatey due to weather conditions (wind and visibility) we had to cancel the balloon trip... it would have bean beautiful because the landscape is just so spectacular... but at least we didnt have to get up at 5 am! The tours booked through GR were with a company called Vintage Cape Tours, and our guide was called Annette. She was excellent, and our private guide for two days. It wasn't cheap, but there is no way we could have seen all that we did, and learnt so much of the area had we wanted to do it ourselves. So this is definitely a must.

Even though we were on our honeymoon, and sometimes our thoughts of a place may seem jaded, trust me when I say that Grande Roche is definetely a place to go to. Both my wife and I are in the hotel business, and unfortunately can get picky about hotel operations and the way things are run, but they do it right!

Both my wife and I thoroughly enjoyed our trip and thank everyone there for a great stay!

• Stayed: April 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank littlerossi
Also consider these accommodations in or near Paarl
De Leeuwenhof Hotel/Guesthouse
Le Franschhoek Hotel & Spa
Le Franschhoek Hotel & Spa
#10 of 12 in Franschhoek
Franschhoek Country House & Villas

Been to Grande Roche Hotel? Share your experiences!