“Okay, but not 4 star”

Ranked #51 of 75 Oudtshoorn B&B and Inns
Port Elizabeth, South Africa
“Okay, but not 4 star”
Reviewed April 10, 2007

We have booked a 4 night stay at Rooderandt, but stayed only for 3 nights. It is marketed as a 4 star guest lodge, and although it wasn't an altogether unpleasant experience, a 4 star it is not. True to the brochure, it is very nicely decorated and the cottages are kept nice and clean. However we were a bit taken aback when we got back from sightseeing the second night to see our wet and not so clean towels still in the bathroom. Upon our request for clean towels we were told in no uncertain terms that we could expect clean towels only every second day! Although we visited in the midst of the world cup cricket, there was no guest TV on the premises, which was a bit of a drawback for my husband. I took my hairdryer with, but to plug it in I had to unplug a bed light and there was no mirror in sight. I mentioned this to the owner, who unfortunately seemed to be insulted by my suggestion that maybe a plug near a mirror would be a good idea. There was only one key for our cottage, and we had to hand it in before going out so that the cleaning staff could get in. We were treated with an icy stare every time we knocked, which contributed to our decision to leave earlier. My last comment would be that people who are in the hospitality trade should really like people and make them feel welcome. A good attitude goes a long way!

• Liked — It was close to Oudtshoorn and it had airconditioning. It had nice little touches like welcoming sherr, coffee and rusks.
  • Disliked — There is a busy road that goes past the property.
  • Stayed April 2007, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
1 Thank Tibby53
HelpfulOudtshoorn, Owner/manager at Rooderandt Hillside Lodge, responded to this review, June 15, 2008
Dear Tibby
Thank you so much for writing your review on Rooderandt Hillside Lodge.

There are just a few things you've mentioned in your review which are not entirely correct and we would like to comment on that as follows.

At the time of your stay, Rooderandt was NOT rated at all, thus we can not see how you can critisize us for not being a 4-star. We have also never marketed/advertise ourselves as a 4-star establishment. We only got rated by the TGCSA as an excellent 3-star accommodation AFTER your stay with us.

Maybe you did not see or read the "house rules" which are displayed in all our rooms. Amongst other things, the "house rules" also advise guests that all bedding/towels are changed every alternative day. It further request guests who prefer to have their towels changed sooner/daily, to leave them on the bathroom floor, which you did not do.

The reason why we requested to have your key in the morning, was because the previous guests took our "spare" key by accident with them. They have been so kind as to post it back to us thus we apologise if this caused any inconvenience, but we have 2 sets of keys for every room.

We also do not advertise any TV's in our rooms in any of our promotions/
advertisements. We promote our establishment to be unique with it's genuine old sandstone houses which was built in the 1800's and decorated with genuine old antique furniture and fireplaces and try our upmost to give guests/visitors a feeling of peace and tranquility - i.e. to sit at the fireplace in the evenings or to view our spectacular sunsets/views.

I really try my upmost to give excellent service to all of my guests/visitors as I also tried to do with you. Unfortunately it seems that I did not succeed in your case which I sincerely regret. I do remember however, that I did not quite know how to please or accommodate you after the 5th time you knocked with dissatisfaction.

My last comment would be that all of us in the hospitality trade knows, no matter how hard you try or how friendly you are, there are some times the exception of succeeding to please a guest/visitor.

My sincerest apologies to Tibby from Port Elizabeth in not succeeding in keeping her happy with all of her requests!

Solo
Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)