“My African Farm”

and 1 more site!
Altes Landhaus Country Lodge
Ranked #14 of 77 Oudtshoorn B&B and Inns
Reviewed October 20, 2012

This was the second visit and can't recommend it highly enough, the setting is perfect and the staff extremely welcoming. The owner makes it her business to welcome each and every guest and make them feel special. The well prepared, home cooked food offers local specialties such as kudu and ostrich for the adventurous amongst you and tried and tested chicken pie for those not so. A must visit for a taste of the "real" Africa.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Altes Landhaus Country Lodge

Reviewed October 17, 2012

We stayed here for one night this week on Monday night October 15 and wow was this place special. From the minute we met the lady that runs it and owns it with her husband we fell in love with the place. The service by Albert and the team is perfect. We had dinner there and met some really nice people from England and Ireland. The dinner was great tasting and special with the atmosphere even when Zinzi the dog showed up for some attention. Actually the other dog was there but we forgot its name. I add the dogs because they we polite, clean and added to the feeling of being home. Overall a great place and was the cleanest place we have ever stayed in the world. A must place to stop at if your dong a self drive through this wonderful country.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 9, 2012

The hotel is relaxing, in a very quiet area and surrounded by beautiful gardens.On arrival at the hotel we were offered an upgraded room for no extra charge, the room was comfortable and well furnished, the pool was a good size and set in a relaxing position. There is an honesty bar at the poolside but it was locked and we had to get the key from reception. It would have been convenient to have a fridge in the bedroom. We had set three course evening meal which was fine and breakfast was good with plenty of choice. We unfortunately only had one night here we wished we had stayed a bit longer so that we could see more of the lovely local countryside.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 8, 2012

This was our fourth stop on a months motoring holiday celebrating our Golden Wedding and what a lucky find this was. We parked our car under a shaded area, walked through an Archway across a bridge over a gurgling pool and an Avenue of scented roses to the front of this lovely old Cape Dutch style building. At reception we were given the choice of upgraded acommodation in a lovely and very comfortable apartment. Our Hostess, Helen then brought us a very welcome tray of tea which was served on the terrace overlooking the beautiful and immaculate gardens. The Lodge is beautifully furnished and very tastefully decorated with many interesting antiques. Breakfast is excellent and for the evening meal we decided to try Ostrich, but found it rather tough going and not to our liking, but the pudding was very good, however, it would have been nice to have some sort of choice of menu rather than a set meal. Sadly we only had two nights here and with such a lovely pool, garden and acommodation we wished it could have been longer,especially as we were very spoilt by Helen and Abel who went to great lengths to make us welcome. Thank you and we look forward to returning again one day. The Lodge deserves every one of its five star rating!!

Room Tip: Room with a view of the lovely gardens
  • Stayed: February 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 2, 2012

We stayed two nights in this beautiful house and garden some 10 miles outside Oudtshoorn but near to the caves. After being shown our room I discovered that the hotel information folder in the room was empty. The receptionist when telephoned said that this could not be the case as it was in a leather folder. When I told her there was only one sheet of telephone numbers there she replied that she did not have any spare copies. But some time later she appeared with a copy. However the information provided was very sparse. No details of meal times or any information on attractions or things to do in the area. The room was very pleasant but there was no fridge or minibar to store water. The bed was the shortest I have ever tried to sleep in and we had single duvets (on a double bed) with no oversheet. I admit I am taller than average at 6ft 3in but this was the only place in South Africa where I had a sleepless night.Furthermore the air conditioning went off at 0630. and could not be turned back on. Next day we went to use the swimming pool. The Owner was there but quickly disappeared without saying anything to welcome us. A little while later I went to the pool bar to get some cold drinks but found the drinks refrigerator was padlocked. I had to walk up to the house to find someone with a key. I enquired whether we could possibly have a light lunch but was told by the owners wife that they did not have the staff to do lunch. She was very vague about whether there was anywhere nearby open for Sunday lunch.Our first dinner was a disaster as we both chose Ostrich which proved to be so tough as to be inedible. When we departed the owner and wife were having breakfast and said goodbye to us without bothering to get up.
This was by far the least welcoming and poorest stay in our whole holiday.A great pity that such a beautiful setting is not better managed and made more welcoming.

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled as a couple
AltesLandhaus, Owner at Altes Landhaus Country Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded March 9, 2012

Tripadvisor is a wonderful site in order to obtain information from guests that have experienced a property and take the time to write a review. I thank you that you did take the time.

I have read your review and would like to reply to your comments.

First of all, I would like to thank you for bringing to our attention that the full information folder was missing. When Alicia brought this to my attention it was rectified immediately. We do however not list meal times as they may change occasionally. Guests are informed when being shown around, what time breakfast and dinner are served. In our complete Information sheet we do list activities and attractions in the area. We also have a comprehensive rack with brochures on all the local Oudtshoorn activities and attractions as well as in the surrrounding areas.

We purchase our beds from one of the best suppliers in South Africa. When your request came through for the suite, it was explained that it has two twin beds together but that a special converter would be put on to make it into the size of a King. The size of the bed is 2150mm wide X 2000mm long. We did leave the two 3/4 duvets on the bed but should you have required one big duvet, a simple request was all that was necessary.

In the evening when guests have retired to bed, we do lock the pool fridge. My husband came up to breakfast and I noticed that you had just gone down to the pool area. I instructed Abel to open the pool fridge mmediately but unfortunately you had got there before he was able to open it.

Aircondition temperature is set either by ourselves at guests request or guests prefer to do it themselves on occasion. When the selected temperature is reached, the aircondioner will turn off. The sensor will pick up that the temperature is not in the selected range any longer and will automatically turn on again. Therefore the only explanation that I have for the 06:30 turn off was that your room had reached the desired temperature.

We do not serve lunches as the majority of our guests eat breakfast and go out on daily activities to return late afternoon and have dinner with us. I was not vague with regards to where lunch could be obtained, approx 2 minutes drive away. I explained that some of the suggested places may or may not be open on a Sunday.

Ostrich Fillet is a wonder full meat that is fat free. The best way for it to be prepared is Rare, Medium Rare or Medium. Guests are informed that should they require a Well done fillet, there is a possibily that it could become tough.

While we were having breakfast, we did say our farewells when you walked past. My apologies that I did not realise you would be offended that I did not stand up in order to say goodbye.

Myself, Management and staff do try to cater to every guests requirement and ensure the best comfort and personal service. Our guests that stayed the same nights that you did, only gave glowing reports in our Guest Book. It is really a pity that you did not have the same experience that they had.

Reviewed February 23, 2012

We had three nights here driving up from Plettenberg having stayed at Laird's Lodge. We arrived late afternoon after our leisurely trip via Knysna and other places and had a warm welcome form Madam and her staff. Shown to our room that was the honeymoon suite. Incongurous as we have been married 44 years!
Moving on rapidly: this is a very nice room en suite and overlooks part of the really lovely gardens. It was late spring/early summer and warm and sunny during the days, but from about 3.00 PM it cooled rapidly and was quite chilly by the evenings.Which was a pity as the gardens are quite something and it would have been good to have sat on our verandah and even round the pool had it been warm enough late afternoon. A very peaceful location and no noise from other guests, although there was never more that about 6/8 of us at the time and we were spread about the place.
And so the evening arrived on our first night and we looked forward to an aperitif and a good meal.
We found the dining terrace, partially outside and warmed by a few patio heaters. Strange, as there is an inside dining area. Anyway, we were pointed in the direction of the bar and lounge area by another guest and having found it, was disappointed by it's cold unwelcoming
atmosphere. Well, actually, it had no atmosphere. The bar, laughingly called, had a few drinks and some glasses to help oneself and record what taken. Only heating was a Valor gas heater, when there was a log fire set up, but not lit. OK we take the hint.
Having chilled out-literally-we went four our meal. Other guests very friendly and that was good. the menu was not that preposessing and quite pricey for SA. Wine list minimal.
I had a starter of shell fish and calamari "infused" with a curry sauce. Mmmm- hardly infused, but totally smothered and overpowering the mussels etc. Not very pleasant. Main course chosen was unspecified fish. Well when it arrived, I could not believe my eyes. One small piece of obviously overcooked fish. Tasted, it was inedible-revolting. I laughed, it was so bad. Madam saw my reaction and as she should, wanted to sort out the problem. This she did by having two pieces of fish freshly cooked for me. My wife had the same main course and this dish was not an acceptable standard. One reason being that the fish was Gurnard. Whilst a sustainable variety, it is cheap and I have never yet had a decent meal of it.
The pudding was a meringue with fresh fruit filling. I expected a homemade meringue, but it was one of those flat shop bought things that fire shrapnel all over the place once attacked by a fork! The fruit was dumped on top of it and that was it. Wine was not very good and whilst the staff and madam were perfectly efficient, this meal was a veritable disaster. Needless to say, we did not have our main meals here again. (See review of Kalinka).
Breakfasts were fine and as they should be.
The rooms was spotless and the small number of staff were friendly and helpful.
I have rated the Lodge as very good, because it is really lovely and as said the grounds are brilliant.
Nice place-pity about the food!

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled as a couple

I would like to thank you for taking the time to go on to Tripadvisor with regards to your stay at Altes Landhaus. I do think it is important to respond to your comments so that both sides can be heard.

The weather I unfortunately do not have control of but am happy to say that we do have an inside as well as outside dinning area. Guests may choose to eat in either of them. Our outside patio area is preferred by 99% of the guests. We have awnings with big windows that are put down and a log fireplace, which is lit as well as upright gas heaters which are placed at each table for guests comfort.

Our lounge does not boast a fully stocked bar but has a selection of the preferred drinks that guests over the past 16 years have been drinking. Guests can help themselves at the bar or be served by one of the attending staff. This is explained to all guests on arrival.

If one goes on to our website and looks at the picture of the lounge, I do not think that anyvbody would be able to classify it as having 'no atmosphere'. We do have a small gas heater to start the warm up of the lounge in the early afternoon and then light either one or both of our GAS fired fire places when the guests to to the lounge.

Our wine list has 17 different wines. Of the 17 wines, 7 of them are award winning wines both Locally and Internationally. The wine that you chose for the evening was a Rietvallei Sauvignon Blanc Special Select, which you referred to as not being 'very good', It won the International Wine and Spirit Competition, IWSC GOLD 2011 Best in it's class.

Our Seafood medley is one of the most popular starters that we have. I get repeated requests for the Piquant curry sauce recipe because of it's mild compliment to the seafood.

If you recall, before you left your table, I asked what was wrong with the fish we had served. Your reply was that you had tried Gurnard before and had not particularly liked it on the previous occasions. You said you suspected it was the consistency of the fish. You then went on to say that it was nothing to do with the food but that perhaps you and your Wife were tired. Perhaps one should not order something that you know you do not like.

Our Meringue basket is HOMEMADE and not shop bought. Perhaps if you would have eaten it normally and not attacked it with a fork (as you said you did), it would not have fired shrapnel all over the place.

I am very happy that apart from the complaints which have been answered above, you enjoyed your stay and I agree with you that we do have brilliant grounds.

Reviewed February 2, 2012

This guest lodge is located in an oasis about 12km outside Oudtshoorn. Many attractions nearby. Beautiful gardens and friendly service. Dinner and converstaions with other guests and staff were wonderful. I'm sure we will stay longer next time!

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled as a couple