Buffelsdrift Game Lodge
If you like this hotel, you might also be interested in
$62
$92
Queens Hotel(Oudtshoorn)
$60
Agoda.com
86 on Langenhoven Bed & Breakfast(Oudtshoorn)(Great Value!)
$52
$48
$135
1,035 results
All reviewsbush safarielephant feedingelephant experienceelephant walkoutdoor showerfamily tentluxury tentsthe reservewatering holewater holeelectric blanketsair conditioningfantastic experiencewestern capebeautiful placecango cavesmain building
FilterAll languages
Reviewed November 9, 2009

I loved buffelsdrift for many reasons: Apart from all the VIP reception and lovely accommodation it was the fact that I could sit out and listen to the sounds of nature. We were in tent number 3 on the waters edge. I loved being able to blend in with the natural surrounding, to wake up, to shower, to sit, eat and sleep with the sound of the animals.
I think if I could do it all again, I would have remained in the reserve without visiting the local sights as well. I think in a place like this you need to spend time to blend with the animals in their natural environment and just to relax. I liked the idea of a bath or shower in the open. It was definitely an experience I will never forget. To lie in bed and look over the water is a sight to behold. I did not think the breadfast cathered much for the sweettoothed europeans but I am a scramble egg and toast kind of person. MY italian husband was looking more for the sweet pastries. I would love to visit again but south africa is huge and there is so much to see.

Stayed: October 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank sandrabol
Reviewed November 6, 2009

We did not know what to expect but this place is fantastic. We were met at the car by someone to take our luggage straight to the tent while we were checked in. The first game drive (on the overnight package) is at 5pm so we had time to relax before getting in the army truck for a 2 hour drive through the reserve. They have 3 of the big five there (no lions) and we saw a lot of animals. The guide was very knowledgeable. In the morning there's another game drive from 7-9a.m where we saw even more animals and the rhinos close up. If you stay in 1 of the tents by the water (1-9) you are sure to have an early morning encounter with a hippo!
The food was not great here, however, but we found this was the case at a lot of top places where food was included in the price. Dinner and breakfast are included in the overnight package.

• Stayed: November 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Steve_Amy
Reviewed September 8, 2009

How we loved this place! If you are planning to go, make sure you book tents number 9 or 10, next to the water and the hippos. Early in the morning, make yourself a cup of coffee, put on your bathrobe and sit outside on the wooden deck to watch the hippos float by silently (well, mostly) a few meters away. What an amazing and serene experience. The game drives were good too and so was the restaurant, but the luxurious tents and the hippos were the clear highlights. And while in Oudtshoorn, try to take a drive over the scenic Swaartberg Pass to the sleepy village of Prince Albert for lunch.

Stayed: December 2008, traveled as a couple
1  Thank tessaonhols
Reviewed September 3, 2009

We stayed here for two nights in Aug 2009 with our young daughter in tent number 7, right on the lake and opposite the hippo's. We were lucky in that two days before our arrival a baby hippo was born so imagine our pleasure on having the best view in the game lodge. We found everything about Bufflesdrift fantastic, from our first game drive with Elton, a fantastic guide, to the tent location on the lake and to the food in the restaurant. We were off to a good start when there was only the three of us on a game drive, we saw all the animals which are habitual to the site, and had a nice cold cider with the Giraffes watching us from only 50m away.
I would recommend this Lodge to anyone it fulfilled all our expectations and more.

Stayed: August 2009, traveled with family
1  Thank johnnyroadmap
Reviewed July 5, 2009

BUFFELSDRIFT Game Lodge is a sprawling game farm in the fertile Cango Valley at the foot of the Swartberg Mountains. The accommodation is luxury tents situated on the waters edge with a wooden sundeck overlooking the dam. Fully en-suite bathrooms with a private outdoor shower with hot & cold water. The tent is equipped with a dual air-conditioning unit to cool you on those hot summer Karoo days & warmth on those chilly winter days. The management is envrionmentally considered and air con is automatically switched off at night times. You do not get the feelling of a fenced in 'zoo' experienc on the game drive as you do with some of the other gardenroute game lodges, there is enough field and natural food available for the animals. Although the setting is spectacular, the decor classical, the animals great with loads of habitat to roam around freely, it must be the friendly staff that is their biggest asset, from checking in with Hanneke, to our guide Elton, waitress Cailin and all the other guys working and attending to our every need! Thanks for an unforgetabble experience!
I can really recommend the kudu steak!

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled on business