“Just great !” 5 of 5 bubbles

Buffelsdrift Game Lodge
Zurich, Switzerland
“Just great !”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 8, 2013

Great Location, wonderful tent, very nice and competent staff, Gourmet Restaurant and everybody was so friendly, viewing hippos just from our terasse, great Safary and nice Horse Ride..a outstanding stay and not the last time ! We will be back

Room Tip: Try to get a tent at the water
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

1 Thank Hansueli G

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (117)
George, South Africa
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 2, 2013

To visit Buffelsdrift is to experiance peace of an magnitude only the priviledge of a few. The staff are all stunning and unique in their own way. The setting, wild life and surrounds with the most stuuning sunset with the hippos a mere 50 metres from our tent cannot be beaten.To awake to the grunts of the hippos the final day was like a rare diamond. I Married mine 30 years ago on the 30th of April to spend this time with her......................... MAGIC.

Thank you Buffelsdrift and staff. You deserve all acolades bestowed upon you.

We will be back.

Hannes30

1 Thank Hannes T
Peterborough, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 17, 2013

My son & my 2 grandchildren & I were most fortunate to spend the two penultimate days of our first ever South African trip at Buffelsdrift....spectacular...even feeding the 3 elephants in pouring rain was not a downer!! Warming up in front of a roaring log fire in the restaurant after was most welcome, but not exactly what we had envisaged of SA!!
The hippos kept their distance...we did see 3 heads in the water & later, on a Game Drive one had managed to reach a fair distance from the water!!
I think we were forunate to see a fair number of the animals there, & retired gratefully to the amazing "tents" lakeside for a slightly noisy night. We had obviously been visited by some (not dangerous) animals in the night, judging from the "poos" around next morning.
Spent a lot of time watching the amazing weaver birds in the trees by the restaurant, which served excellent food at all times. Look out for the huge swallows nest on the way up to the reception area.
I hope to visit again...but if I don't then I have lovely memories. The guys who look after the three orphaned elly's (now all 10 yrs old+) are super!

Room Tip: Try to get a tent at the far end of the dam! Great views & near the wild bit!!!
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Hermanus, South Africa
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 29, 2013

Greatest place to visit!! A must do! Great food, luxury accommodation! Will def be back again. The elephant feeding is an added extra to an extraordinary place. A great place for couples for a romantic getaway.

Horsham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 24, 2013

We did not stay here, but we did have an excellent meal, for which the review is written under the restaurant's name. What I just wanted to say was that I unfortunately did not know one should book well in advance for the elephant safari. I did not and therefore missed out. I did however participate in the meet/greet and feeding session of the elephants. This was such a mind blowing experience that I came away quite tearful, having thoroughly enjoyed it. The head keeper was very informative and his two colleagues were very nice. I cannot describe how touched I was by the whole experience of learning about these beautiful creatures and having the experience of being able to sit on one and pet all three as well as feed them. Thanks for a time of my life.

Santa Rosa, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 23, 2013

Only one regret about Buffelsdrift: we only had one night here! A super-nice experience all around. We have timed our arrival for the afternoon Game drive, guided by the awesome Llewelyn, which my wife and I both totally enjoyed, first time doing anything like this. Rhino, a wide selection of "bokken", buffalo, hippos and giraffe, what a treat. And then a superb dinner on the Lodge patio, great food & drink, while watching the elephants come by. The "tentalow" housing was great - I loved the outdoor shower - comfortable, luxurious yet with a feel of being in the wild. Woke up early to watch the wildlife grazing along the shore across the lake from our porch deck, all kinds of ducks & birds flying, with the moon shining above before the early Game drive, another beaut of an adventure, before an ample and tasty breakfast - and turtles making an appearance in the waters around the Lodge. A truly wonderful stay and again: don't make our mistake, don't book just one night! We sure hope to return one of these years.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank AlasCon
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 21, 2013

My hubby and I could recommend Bufflesdrift more!
We stayed here for one night for a belated anniversary whilst on holiday visiting our family and neither him or I wanted to leave!
From the moment we arrived we were attended to with a very high level of service from all members of staff. We were taken to reception where a member of staff was waiting with refreshments to check us in, then shown to our luxury tented accommodation.
Shortly after we arrived we were ready for our elephant ride which was incredible! Unfortunatly due to the high temperatures (41-42 that day) I felt faint towards the end of the ride and had to stop and get off.
During this slightly daunting experience the staff could not have been more helpful. They had the elephant sit down so I could be lifted off and phoned reception to bring water and take me back to the starting point in a buggy. Two members of staff stayed with me and made sure I was feeling ok and whilst I felt incredibly embarrassed, I felt reassured and cared for, I couldn't thank them more!
The rest of the stay included an amazing three course meal overlooking the dam and the hippos, a very comfortable nights sleep, use of the pool which we had to our selves and an early morning games drive, where our tour guide Henk was very informative and friendly.
During our stay we phoned room service twice to request towels for the pool and both times they were taken to the pool immediately and were waiting for us when we arrive.
We would defiantly return to Bufflesdrift, it was the perfect way to celebrate our anniversary.