“Very nice, but...”
Review of La Plume

La Plume
Ranked #6 of 77 Oudtshoorn B&B and Inns
Reviewed January 22, 2014

My wife and I stayed here two nights ago and, all in all, enjoyed our stay. This place has impeccable service! The staff were friendly and very anxious to please. The breakfast buffet was very good and served in a beautifully furnished room. Now for the reason that I rate this Guest House "Very Good" instead of "Excellent": the bathroom and shower. The room otherwise was very nice, but the bathroom was small and the shower didn't drain properly. Lastly, the WiFi doesn't work properly.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
Corlu N, Manager at La Plume, responded to this reviewResponded January 31, 2014

Dear TourGuide-KEVIN

Thank you so much for your positive review! We really appreciate the kind words and are happy to hear you had a nice stay with us!!

Another big thank you for your constructive critisism: The bathroom in question is on our list of urgent renovations!! We are planning to enlarge the bathroom to add a bath tub as well, so you will have to come give it another try !! We have sorted out the drainage of the shower - thank you for letting us know!! WiFi is still a problem... We have added another tower, as well as two boosters and it still fluctuates between a very strong signal the one moment and close to nothing the next... Out technician is working on it as we speak!! The biggest problem however is the fact that the "mother tower" is on the wrong side of the Outeniqua mountains...

Untill we meet again!

Reviewed January 22, 2014

The position of La Plume is amazing, the accommodation is beautiful and the staff very friendly, helpful and efficient. We stayed here for three nights and had a meal each evening. My only very minor complaint is the evening meals were a bit repetitive.

Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple

Dear Rikbarb (my friends with a house on a hill on an island!)

Thank you so much for your review - we really appreciate it very much!

My apologies for the repetitive dinner menu - we do not have an a la carte menu, the set menu (buffet) is served every night. 99% Of our guests will only dine here once and we want to give them the widest spread possible (choice of 2 starters, 7 salads, 4 meats to choose from for the main course, 5 vegetables and 5 desserts). Since we are having (mostly!) new guests every evening, we have decided to do the set menu buffet. With the town only a 10 min drive away, some of the guests staying for more than 2 nights opt for one of the excellent restaurants in town.

I trust that the rest of your trip through sunny South Africa was everything you expected it to be!!!

Reviewed January 7, 2014

We stayed here on 16th and 17th December 2013 and I loved, loved, loved it. It was my favourite place. Everything was perfect. I have to say on the way there I started reading the notes in our Travel Digest and I was dreading it because in the notes it said that Bartel and Karin had 3 rooms, 3 children, 3 dogs and 3 CATS which I am terrified of. I was picturing going into the reception area and cats all over the place. Instead we were met in the car park by a gentleman (unfortunately I have forgotten his name) Our bags were taken out of the car and taken to our room and we were invited on the veranda for a drink. Then invited to have dinner there or given several menus of local restaurants that they would book for us if we wanted to go. Needless to say we didn't. We had a wonderful meal and excellent service. Our suite was amazing . It was all the trinkets and bric a brac and attention to detail that made it special the complimentary sherry, the pool, everything was perfect. The only very minor negative was that we had asked to have our coffee in the lounge and started chatting with another family for about half an hour then they left and it would have been nice to have had a drink or another coffee but there was a man who kept popping his head around the corner making it very obvious that it was time we went to our room so he could lock up.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
Corlu N, General Manager at La Plume, responded to this reviewResponded January 10, 2014

Dear Jennynorthwales

Thank you so much for your kind comments - it is people like you who make all the effort a true pleasure: Thank You!!!

I'm glad you have liked your stay with us! (We are only a flight away, so do come visit us again!!) I'm sorry that you have experienced the attention you got from the waitron as a sign to go to bed!! That was never the intention. You were of course more than welcome to order another drink or some coffee. He was popping around the corner at regular intervals to make sure you don't "run dry" - just because we're situated in a semi desert does not mean your throats should feel like a semi desert! And just for the record: He doesn't lock up, I DO!! I live in the main house, so i lock up when everyone had gone to bed. Next time: ORDER your drink, we will never tell you it's too late!!!

I hope the rest of your trip through South Africa was a memorable one!

Kindest regards
Corlu (the gentleman who met you at the car!)

Reviewed January 5, 2014

The only slightly disappointing stay during our South Africa trip was the stop in Oudtshoorn. The staff here were very 'efficient' but not anywhere near as friendly as other hotels. We were keen to see ostriches and as we were staying on an ostrich farm that offered tours we thought we would take the opportunity to go on the farm tour. Unfortunately we came away from this tour feeling a little ripped off, the over priced tour ended up being a 30 minute drive along the main road looking at the fields from the car and not really getting to see ostriches.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 4, 2014

We arrived here at 9 pm, after a long long drive from Cape Town. We were hungry and grumpy to have missed the ostrich dinner, which my husband and I had been thinking about all day. However, our grumpiness soon faded when we saw our beautiful room (think antiques and colonial, bursting with character) and were met by a lovely member of staff. I'm afraid I've forgotten his name, but he was an absolute star. He told us to relax in the lovely gazebo and returned with wine, a toasted sandwich and dessert. It was literally the most welcomed meal of our entire trip! It was like he knew exactly what would make us feel better. He was the star of the show really. He also recommended a visit to the cango wildlife ranch, which was a highlight of our trip.

You can't go wrong with La Plume in my opinion.

And my husband has just reminded me that although we were there for only one short night, our car was washed for us! Another example of great service.

Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple

Dearest drfi007

FINALLY!!! Someone who sees me for what i really am: an absolute star!!! LOL!!! ;-)

Thank you so much for your kind words and the lovely review - much appreciated! My Gran always used to say: "It's easy being nice to NICE people!" It was an absolute treat having you here and we are eagerly awaiting your return visit (perhaps with a slightly earlier check-in? Just kidding. My main concern is only that our guests arrive safely, regardless of the time!).

Thank you once again, but I must add that I work with a really special bunch of people who all take pride in their work - and if the guests are happy, we are happy!!!

Kindest regards,
Corlu (aka "The Star")

Reviewed December 27, 2013

What a magical place la plume was! It Décor, calm environment and staff are prefect host for person visiting oudtshoorn. It is very close to oudtshoorn ostrich farm. La Plume is an elegant Guest House where you are always guaranteed a memorable stay. After a long drive from cape town to oudtshoorn, it was home away from home feeling.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank ABBI1982

Dear ABBI1982

Thank you so much for your kind words - much appreciated. I'm very happy to hear you had a memorable stay with us: that is our aim after all!!

The sign at the front door says it all: "mi casa es su casa" - if this was your home away from home, remember that you are ALWAYS welcome to come home again!!!

Reviewed December 11, 2013

As soon as our car pulled up, we were greeted at our car door and walked over to our bungalow. We were asked if we would like coffee, tea or a glass of red or white wine, which we could enjoy on the verandah at the main house. The view of the vineyards was spectacular. Our room was comfortable and beautiful. It looked straight out of a magazine. Overall it was the perfect place to stay after a long drive on the garden route.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank brianonthego

Dear brianonthego

Thank you so much for your positive review - we appreciate each and every comment! If ever in South Africa again: You know where to find us!!!