All reviewsboat cruisespot animalsplant lifefriendly animalscape mountainstaying nightsgame drivesoff roadan incredible experiencefish eaglesother guestsmossel bayovernight staypiece of heavenhuge bathroomfantastic staybreakfast and dinner
Reviewed May 5, 2015

We booked here as a two stay/two day package with their sister location at Botlierskop in Mossul Bay. We had done Botlierskop a week earlier. Both places have great rooms and reception/dining areas and wonderful food. The big difference is in the amount of game to see and this was important for us. Botlierskop has been established longer and has far more to see. Madi is only two years and with different terrain means much less game. On our morning horse ride we did not see one animal. That said they do have "pet" meerkats, serval cat and baby springbok that really add to the charm. We did ask if there were any walks to be had but told not to go outside the compound due to wandering animals? So you are a bit restricted especially given the 10 km dirt road into the lodge.

• Stayed: April 2015, traveled as a couple
MadiMadi2014, Manager at Madi-Madi Karoo Safari Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded May 7, 2015

Thank you very much for your review. We appreciate all our guest comments and take them very seriously.

I am so pleased that you found that both our lodges had great rooms, dining areas and wonderful food. We always enjoy the fact that our guests feel comfortable in our lodges.

The best thing about the best of both special is that you are able to experience two very different lodges.
Madi Madi is located in the Klein Karoo where the biome is very different from our sister farm. The Klein Karoo has some fantastic wonders, and as the word says "klein" meaning small our focus here is on the little things. We have free roam game on the farm, and it is always fantastic to be able to view them, but this also means that we cannot guarantee animal sightings when we go and explore the bush. This is why our guides will also teach about the smaller fauna and flora found in this area.
It is a real pity that you didn't see any other animals on your horse ride. I trust that the rolling hill, unspoiled nature and magical experience through and over the hills and horseback was as magical to you as it is to us.

We do offer guided bush walks here at Madi Madi as one of our activities, where you can walk with one of our guides and experience the Klein Karoo fauna and flora even further, looking for small hidden animals and insects, learning the medicinal purposes of some of the very unique plants that we find here. Unfortunately we have free roam game on the reserve and we cannot send our guests out on walks without a trained guide. This is merely done for your own safety.

I am pleased that you enjoyed the rescued animals at the lodge. The meerkats, Serval and Springbok are also completely free. It has been such an honor to have been part of their second chance.

One of the best attributes of Madi Madi is the remoteness. With that comes the pure nature, silence and serene surroundings that we offer. For that, we do however need to be quite a few kilometers from towns or roads.

Thank you again for your kind review.
I trust that you had safe travels home and that you enjoyed the rest of your holiday in our beautiful country

Reviewed May 3, 2015 via mobile

It's only taken me six months to leave this review and still Im struggling to put the experience into words. When you get through madi madi's gates your well aware that you have a considerable drive to the lodge. They've already told you how far it is but whatever you expect it to be. Double it!! It goes for miles and miles. You think your about there and there's another informative post telling you there's still several Ks to go. As you go round the final bend you realise exactly why the lodge is where it is. The view is sensational. Suddenly you feel excited and happier than I would have ever thought possible.
What struck me on arrival was the way everyone comes outside to greet you. And greet you by name!! From that first welcome to madi madi Natasha will remember your name (or possibly check the computer from time to time) and everyone will make you feel welcome and for a short time your part of the family. Nothing I don't think would be too much to ask for. We stayed in an executive lodge which was truly outstanding. Being a person that looks for attention to detail this place nailed it almost everywhere.
We did the night drive, horse back safari, river cruise. Tried to fish and gained a new respect for ostriches.
This is a place we have to visit again. When you leave you feel your leaving your friends behind. The entire experience will stay with you for the rest of your life and bring a warm smile every time you think of your stay here
Oh I almost forgot. There's animals here too lots of animals :)
Ian & Gillian

Stayed: October 2014, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Ian P

Hi Ian and Gillian,

Thank you very much for your kind review. I appreciate the time you took to write it for us.

It was such a pleasure for us to have you here with us and we certainly hope that we will see you again in the near future.

I am so pleased that you fell in love with Madi Madi as much as I certainly did. I am also very happy that we can still bring a smile to your face through memories.

I promise you that I did not check the computer once, I really remembered your names :)

Reviewed May 1, 2015

Madi madi was stunning, if your looking for peace & quiet stunning wide open spaces yummy food, visits in your cottage from meerkats, springbok, horses then this is the place to visit. The horse ride offering majestic views was breath taking, the exec cottage was beautiful & the people were so warm & inviting......add to that cosy fires crackling in the night while you watch the cat hunt from the bath ......get booking!!! We left relaxed & connected....thank you!!

Room Tip: Last exec cottage brought all the animals daily!!!
Stayed: April 2015, traveled as a couple
1  Thank KelliJones13
MadiMadi2014, Manager at Madi-Madi Karoo Safari Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded May 2, 2015

Hi Kelli,

Thank you very much for your review. It was such a pleasure for us to have you both here with us and we hope to see you again in the near future.
I am extremely pleased that you found the soul resorting magic that Madi Madi has to offer. We agree that the animals around the lodge give an extra special touch.
We do need to teach the bokkie a few more manners! :)

Reviewed April 24, 2015

From the moment you enter Madi Madi to the moment you leave you are in a world that’s better than what you ever thought it could be. To clarify this is in Dysseldorp about 30minutes from Oudtshoorn and we got lost on the way because of roadworks.... so I recommend going early rather than late cause the drive is bumpy and not lit so get there as early as check in allows. Once you are through the gates the drive seems never ending but it’s worth it even though I felt like ripping up the signs giving distance updates. We didn’t do any game drives. The river hasn’t had water for some time so sailing is out but we came to relax, we had stayed at Botliers so didn’t think missing the game drives would make a difference. The hand raised meerkats running around were very entertaining. We had an executive riverside cottage facing, which included a double bed as well as two twin beds in the loft. Sitting outside watching horses graze whilst listening to fish eagles.... BLISS. We arrived to giraffes blocking our way but being “shy” creatures they scarpered off after giving us enough time to take photos. One of the best things about Madi Madi is the chef. Rustic, homemade food that taste better than most food I’ve had in top restaurants. Staff are friendly, helpful and know how to be unobtrusive. I’ll definitely visit again. Good wifi in cottages, but no phone and because they are unobtrusive its difficult to reach them unless you walk to lodge (less than 2min) away.

• Stayed: March 2015, traveled with friends
1  Thank tonitravelbuddy
MadiMadi2014, Manager at Madi-Madi Karoo Safari Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded April 27, 2015

Hi,

Thank you for the wonderful review.

I am so pleased that you had a nice relaxing stay here with us. The peace and quiet is indeed one of our best qualities. Thank you for noticing the effort that we put in to not be intrusive, but still maintaining a high level of service.

We did consider putting internal phones in the rooms, but decided against it as it could be disturbing and non fitting to the serene atmosphere we try to create to have ringing phones. And as you say it is only a few meters walk to the Main house where the staff will always be willing to help.

We enjoyed having you here with us, and I have passed on the amazing compliments to our chef.

We hope to see you here with us again in the near future.

Reviewed April 18, 2015

Madi Madi is located near the town of Oudthoorn, it is very secluded and is surrounded by beautiful mountain view landscapes. The area is surrounded by succulent vegetation, rivers and animals. The staff are extremely accommodating and friendly. On arrival you are welcomed with opened arms giving you feeling that you are part of a big family. Meals are prepared on the premises and Breakfast, lunch and dinner is served. There is are big main communal tables which can be used by all, this allows for people to be able to meet other visitors and for interesting conversation. The feeling you get is one that is very rustic and making you feel part of the surrounding nature. They also offer a few activities, I really enjoyed the horse riding and enjoyed the beautiful views. There is also a outdoor pool area with sunbathing chairs. You will also find a very friendly Springbok and Meerkats running around.

Also wanted to say an very big thank you to all the staff you guys are amazing, and will definitely be visiting again when next in South Africa.

Room Tip: Please ensure you follow the correct directions, if unsure please call....Very easy to get lost...The staff are very friend and will direct you.
  • Stayed: April 2015, traveled with friends
1  Thank esubben

Thank you very much for the wonderful review.

I have passed your message onto the staff. All of our staff here really love Madi Madi and the lifestyle that we get to have here. It really makes us happy when our guests feel like they have become part of our little family here, as this is exactly what we aim for.

I am so pleased that mention how easy it can be to get lost and how important it is to use the map provided on our own website.

I am hoping to see you again here with us very soon.