“The Cango Wildlife Ranch - Is Worth It!”

Cango Wildlife Ranch
Ranked #3 of 34 things to do in Oudtshoorn
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: Cango Wildlife Ranch is internationally recognised as one of South Africa’s premier tourism attractions. Conveniently situated en route to the Cango Caves near Oudtshoorn, the Ranch offers visitors a huge variety of awe-inspiring activities at one location for a value-packed price – suitable for the whole family and open 365 days a year! In addition to our wonderful encounter programs, where you can meet an ambassador cheetah, the ranch also offers two Firsts: Lemur Falls – the first interactive Lemur experience in Africa! - and Crocodile Cage Diving - a World First - where you can test your mettle against the dangerous gaze of a Nile Crocodile via a steel cage lowered into their watery domain! As a PAAZA (Pan-African Association of Zoos and Aquaria) accredited facility, a proud member of WAZA(World Association of Zoos and Aquariums), and a multiple winner of TripAdvisor's Certificate of Excellence, Cango Wildlife Ranch remains a unique world-class facility which strives to provide conservation through education by means of various conservation projects, initiatives and informative guided tours! A significant percentage of all proceeds go straight back into our conservation initiatives providing you with ethical and unforgettable fun and memories. For unlimited adventure for the whole family – visit Cango Wildlife Ranch!
Useful Information: Activities for young children, Activities for older children, Wheelchair access, Bathroom facilities
Reviewed May 9, 2014

My wife and I are on a world cycling expedition and were deciding on whether the trip to the Cango Wildlife Ranch was worth cycling the extra 70 - 90 miles and climbing two mountain passes (instead of cycling from Mossel Bay straight to George)! We were not disappointed! This facility allows you to get up close to some of the world's most famed animals, my favorites being the Cheetah and the White Bengal Tiger (baby)! The staff was professional, knowledgable, and very friendly! I would gladly cycle this again!!

countryhoppers.com

Write a ReviewReviews (1,933)
All reviews
in 118 reviews
"conservation"
in 104 reviews

Reviewed May 5, 2014

We had a great time in Cango Wildlife Ranch. Our tour guide for that day was the very informative, friendly, and bubbly Gabby. Thanks to her, she made the tour very interesting and fun. We were able to capture a crocodile jumping out of the water for food (hand-fed by Gaby!). We were also able to learn about their program of conserving and breeding lions, tigers, and the like.. and I think it is very impressive. I am torn about the issue of animal captivity (leaning towards against it) but with Gaby's insight, I can say I am very supportive of their organization's cause.

Going around the ranch, I noticed that the animals are well-fed and taken care of. Unlike some zoos or animal sanctuaries where it can get smelly and unsanitary, the animals in Cango Wildlife Ranch are in a clean environment. Some (playful) animals show their eagerness in human interaction which is a good sign that they are in a healthy environment and not maltreated.

The Natural Encounters with their "ambassadors" (cheetahs, lemurs, tigers, crocodiles, etc) offers you a chance to help fund their program and at the same time have your pictures taken with your chosen ambassador. You may bring your own camera inside but they also have their own photographer so you are sure to get a well-taken souvenir photo. Their ambassadors, in our case, cheetahs, are clean and calm/behaved. Joshua, Stanley, and our photographer did a great job in briefing, taking care of us and the cheetahs, and getting our pictures. Getting to pet a cheetah is one of the most memorable and enjoyable moments in this trip!

It is a definite must to visit this place. And if you do, please take time to learn and help their conservation and breeding program.

1  Thank Charissa C
Reviewed May 5, 2014

What an amazing experience. We were touring with Grand Circle Travel and on our way to the Ostrich Ranch when our guide mentioned that this was within 20 minutes of the ostriches. We were a little leery - who goes to Africa to see caged animals? - but when we got there we were in for the treat of a lifetime. With elevated walkways we were able to see all the animals there clearly and then we discovered that for an additional fee (relatively small amount) we could pet some. We chose the cheetah and the Bengal tiger cub. Not only did we get a photo souvenir of our experience but the helpers took our camera and added many more shots of us with the individual animals plus dozens of shots of the other animals like the civet that we couldn't see clearly from the walkway. This is an absolutely must see and pet experience. I'm pretty sure you won't be sorry. By the way, did you know that the cheetah purrs like a house cat when petted and that the tiger's fur is as soft as silk?

Reviewed May 5, 2014

I love animals. I love tigers. So when I saw the billboard with a tiger, I was there! We had a nice time on the tour, getting to see all the different types of animals. I found that the interaction was quite pricey.