“after a slow start......” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Cango Ostrich Show Farm

Cango Ostrich Show Farm
Ranked #7 of 30 things to do in Oudtshoorn
More attraction details
Owner description: The Cango Ostrich Show Farm offers the ultimate ostrich experience with exciting and informative guided tours (daily from 9h00 to 17h00), a fantastic curio shop, a fine selection of award winning local wines; and a coffee shop / restaurant serving a lovely variety of light meals. We host groups and schools, whose itinerary often includes delicious pre-booked meals. Situated 14km outside of Oudtshoorn on the road to the Cango Caves.
Toronto, Canada
8 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“after a slow start......”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 24, 2013

There were lots of staff hanging around while we were waiting for the tour to start. Way more staff than paying customers, but none of them seemed interested in us after they had taken our cash. the tour was quite late starting, but was very interesting. We really enjoyed spending time with the big birds. They have some fun routines to get the ostriches involved with the guests. Worth the trip, we would like to think we just caught them on a bad day!?

Visited June 2013

• Czech first
Bangkok, Thailand
89 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 104 helpful votes
“Ostrich riding & neck massages!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 21, 2013

I think this is the highlight of our visit to Oudtshoorn, the "ostrich capital of the world". Didn't see any butterflies, just ostriches. The gamekeeper was very knowledgeable with a dark sarcastic sense of humor, making it amusing. We learned how the males are black & females are grey, and their big toe claw can rip a man's belly open.

Smaller-sized guests are allowed to try ostrich riding, with 2 of the gamekeepers running along to catch you if you fall. Some of my friends tried and they lasted on less than 10 seconds. I asked if I could try but the gamekeeper said I'll need to stand on 2 ostriches due to my big size (that's a joke). One of the gamekeepers also demonstrated his ostrich riding skills, and he was able to "steer" the ostrich by using its neck like a joystick.

Finally I tried the "ostrich neck massage". They let me hold a bucket of food and stand with my back towards the ostrich pen, and the ostriches would bend down over my shoulders to ferociously eat the food, "massaging" my neck.

IL
32 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 103 helpful votes
“poor things”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 18, 2013

we went to the Cango ostrich farm assuming it'll be a pleasant experience for the kids, looking at ostriches roaming around a farm. The actual experience was far from pleasing. The guide was boring and the animals were treated with little respect. they are hunted down for the crowd amusement, a sack is put on their head and the tourists are offered a ride on the poor animal that can't really see what's going on. it kept trying to break loose of the grip, while the staff nailed it down.
The feeling was of a tourist trap.

2 Thank Tal M
London, United Kingdom
31 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 49 helpful votes
“Great fun and done respectfully”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 16, 2013

I am always worried when visiting farms as you sometimes find they are managed for tourists or visitors and not for the comfort or well being of the animals. Although I don't like the idea of their hides being used for handbags and belts I do like seeing them close up to understand their existence. They are very comical animals and they do take advantage of the tourists just as we with them. The guide was respectful and treated the animals kindly and gave some very interesting information. I've seen these animals abused in other countries so it was nice to see that they were looked after and cared for in the farms.

Adelaide, South Australia
8 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 7 helpful votes
“Impressively professional and fun!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 4, 2013

The moment we walked into the reception area we felt that this was an organised and professional setup on a smaller scale to the large masses setups. The staff were extremely friendly and knowledgeable and engaging. Geraldine, our tour guide, was fantastic. She charmed us with her humour and her knowledge and the way she made all of us part of the experience to learn about these striking animals. They provide small meals and refreshments, and the shop is stocked with all sorts of goodies. If only I could have afforded one of those gorgeous handbags......expensive because there is so much work involved in making the hides. Oh well, keep dreaming!!! I can highly recommend this place!!!!!!