“Worth a visit” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Cango Caves

The Cango Caves
Ranked #2 of 30 things to do in Oudtshoorn
More attraction details
Owner description: Though damaged through shortsighted tourism schemes in the 1960s, these caves are still worth a visit for their eerie dark tunnels and stunning limestone formations.
Stratford-upon-Avon, United Kingdom
32 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 42 helpful votes
“Worth a visit”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 22, 2013

These caves are really impressive and worth a visit, unfortunately we went on a Sunday so there were a lot of children some of which were noisy so you could not hear the guide and others who took pleasure in shining their torches in your eyes so all very irritating. But apart from that and I blame the parents totally for that, it was well worth a visit. The guide is very knowledgeable though Spoke about the previous damage to the caves and did not stop visitors climbing all over the rock, so not sure why he mentioned it.
There is a cafe upstairs where you can sit outside with great views of the mountains.

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
Plettenberg Bay, South Africa
10 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 23 helpful votes
“447 Steps and I enjoyed everyone!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 20, 2013

I have not been to the Caves since I was 12 a massive 20+ years ago, and it blew my mind! Our guide was FABULOUS! Johnfred gave us the heritage tour like he was telling his own personal history! Johnfred most love chamber one and I agree with him and once he showed us all the reasons why I knew he truly loved it and it made the tour so much more amazing! You can hear the sadness in his voice when he talks about the vandalized areas. He made the tour!

Seeing all the different stalagmites and stalactites, columns and caves, the history on finding each of the caves and the journey the caves have been through, through the years is wonderful! We did not do the adventure tour cause there is no way I am fitting through the post box but I am sure for the brave it is a wonderful event!

This amazing piece of South African history deserves to be kept special and wonderful for generations to come!

Melbourne, Australia
34 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 86 helpful votes
“Well organised”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 20, 2013

We enjoyed our visit and our guide was very informative. She kept us entertained and she had an amazing singing voice when she demonstrated the accoustics in the caves. Well worth visiting.

Sao Paulo, SP
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 41 helpful votes
“Didn't expect it to be this good. I was wrong”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 19, 2013

Beautiful as few things I've seen in my life. If you're in shape and are not afraid of narrow spaces, take the athletic tour, you won't regret it. Otherwise, just take the regular one and enjoy the amazingly surprising caves. Indeed a highlight of our trip.

Visited April 2013
Calgary, Canada
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Worth a visit”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 19, 2013

Visited the caves while driving the SA Garden route. Spectacular. Large caverns that didn't. Ake us feel claustrophobic. Soooo glad we didn't opt for the "adventure" tour. Just one look at the stairs at the end of the normal tour scared the bejesus outta me. Got some great photos.