“It's ok. Nothing personal, special, good for 1 night overstay”

Protea Hotel by Marriott Oudtshoorn Riempie Estate
Ranked #5 of 9 Hotels in Oudtshoorn
Cape Town Central, South Africa
“It's ok. Nothing personal, special, good for 1 night overstay”
Reviewed January 1, 2013

Staff tries hard, phoned ahead to find out about arrival time and inform about specials. Well done, but on arrival A does not know what B does and there is obvious confusion. Some staff members read instructions before their shift, others did not. Rooms are ok, room no 25 is small. Would not recommand it if you have to stay longer. Noise travells well at this place. Breakfast buffet offered a wide selcetion and was ppened in time. Well done - specially in New Years Day!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
Gulph Mills, Pennsylvania
Reviewed December 29, 2012

I was a bit concerned having read some reviews but found the property clean and well appointed (coffee maker, flat screen tv, desk, etc). The "rooms" are quite interesting - I was in a larger room than my friend and found that it was quiet albeit a bit cold even with the heater on as my room had higher ceilings than most. The bed was comfortable and front staff friendly to provide an adapter for charging. The location is fine if you have a car, as I was on a tour, getting to restaurants in town required a cab. The night I stayed the hotel restaurant was closed due to the local prom that was taking place there so I had to go to a restaurant in town. The buffet breakfast was filling and had many options. I think it is a fine place to stay for an overnight -

• Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
Cape Town Central, South Africa
Reviewed December 19, 2012

Stayed 2 nights, good location around Oudtshoorn local tourist attractions. Well manicured garden. Good food friendly staff always eager to help to make you very comfortable. Convenient stopover .The rooms quite pleasant a little bit tight as i had a cot too. But overall i do recommend. Value for money.cherry on top are the 2 resident Ostriches. My Son loved watching them

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Lier, Belgium
Reviewed November 5, 2012

We stayed only one night at the riempie estate during our trip in south africa.
The location is good and the gardens are quiet and well kept.
The rondavels are kept very clean but are a bit outdated. Good and helpfull personnel. If you are on the road this is a good hotel for a one night stop. Nice breakfast.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Wilmslow, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 23, 2012 via mobile

We only stayed one night whilst travelling the garden route and the hotel was fine, it was very quiet and we were actually allocated the honeymoon suite which was nice and had a sofa too. The rooms had most things you needed, except a safe, but they just felt a little dated, they had a lot of character as they are thatched rooms. It was cold when we stayed and the room heater did not work, being English I'm used to the cold but also used to heating! It could be a very nice hotel with a little modernising, fine for one nights stop over.

Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Tashwa31
Tokyo Prefecture, Japan
Reviewed October 16, 2012

We had our school reunion at this hotel and quite a few of the alumni stayed there as well. Elmarie Goosen, General Manager and her staff were superb in their service delivery. The property grounds are well kept and in an immaculate condition. The rooms is basic, but clean.
Elmarie and her staff organised the greater part of our reunion dinner without much input from us, as we stay 1 300km from there. The food was outstanding, the service even better! I would recommend anyone to stay over at the Protea Riempie Estate and with an open heart recommend using the Protea Riempie Estate for your functions!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
Ilminster, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 14, 2012

I am a wheelchair user and booked a handicapped room. I checked with the hotel before we left England and they confirmed in writing -

I have received your e-mail. We have allocated you in a room with a roll in shower.

Kind Regards

Elmarie [--]

GENERAL MANAGER

When we arrived, we discovered that the toilet / shower room door opened into the en-suite and blocked access to the toilet. The 'roll in shower' required a ninety degree turn up a step then through a glass door and was impossible to get in with a wheelchair! My wife tried without me in the chair and failed.

We complained to reception and were told the room was the only one with a roll in shower. The duty manager was not available.

After dismantling part of my (standard size) wheelchair, my wife pushed me backwards into the en-suite, closed the door and pulled me nearer the toilet. She then had to climb over me so I could use the toilet. The sink was just reachable but despite trying very hard, there was no way to get in the shower. After a 6 hour drive, I really needed a shower.

The next morning, we met the manager who told us she was aware of the problem and had plans to make changes to allow better access. We told her that the hotel had emailed that a roll-in shower would be provided. She told us that she had sent the email! Elmarie [--] - GENERAL MANAGER

We were not given an apology or any offer of compensation.

I also want to comment on the meals. The evening meal was a buffet. Although we were there early evening, there was only beef available, no other meat.

Breakfast was also a buffet but this time we had a good choice. Service was dreadful, The staff were misserable. We felt sorry for them.

The bedroom was cold and noisy.

Thank goodness we were there for one night only.

Never again

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank rochesterhouse
ElmarieGoosen, General Manager at Protea Hotel by Marriott Oudtshoorn Riempie Estate, responded to this review, October 17, 2012
Goodday Sir,

Firstly please accept my sincere apologies for any discomfort caused during your stay.

It was not my intention to do you any harm. We had a lot of disabled Guests in that room before, without any problems. I have learned out of this, that we should know what the condition of the Guest is before placing them in that room.

I will do my upmost best to better the disabled rooms.

If you should travel to South Africa again, please contact me. I would like to offer you accommodation as soon as changes to the room has been made.

Have a lovely day!

Elmarie
Protea Hotel Riempie Estate

Travelers are raving about these Oudtshoorn hotels