“Bad food and a manager with an attitude”
Review of Flaming Ostrich - CLOSED

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
Flaming Ostrich
Cuisines: African, Swiss
Good for: Families with children, Business meetings
Description: Flaming Ostrich has a lovely court yard in the front and then a lovely inside dining area that goes out to the back with a lovely outside seatiing area with a little pond and cages with birds and bunnies. A lovely place to bring your family or to come for business or just to come and have a quiet dinner
Oostkamp, Belgium
“Bad food and a manager with an attitude”
Reviewed March 6, 2012

For many years I enjoyed the Swiss Bistro as one of the best in town. Recently it changed owners. I took my parents-in-law there and their main dish : the bushmansosatie was outspoken horrible, served half cold with chewy, bad-quality meat. I confronted the manager with this, telling him of me being a client for many years and taking a lot of people there. He simply started insulting me and even refused to take back the bad food. We had to pay in full. We left and NEVER went or will go back. A real disgrace for Oudtshoorn !! Shame ...

Visited June 2011
2 Thank Safari-gids

Durban, South Africa
“Avoid it at all costs!!”
Reviewed March 4, 2012

For the first time in my life I sent a meal back. How this place even has the audacity to call itself a restaurant and expect customers pay is beyond me. All I can surmise is that as there is a bar attached, most of the customers who eat there have had so much to drink they just don't care.
We were fairly early for dinner, so didn't think about the fact that we were the only customers. Enthusiastic waitress showed us to seat outside in a pretty little courtyard garden. How nice we thought. She gave us the menu - first warning flag! Not a single 'Swiss' dish in sight, apart from maybe eisbein, but that's pushing it a bit. Otherwise it was mostly burgers and toasted sarmies. We were hungry and had had a long drive, which included a flat tyre, so we just ordered lasagna and garlic bread.
Oh dear. The 'garlic bread' arrived - two very stale bread rolls that had been cut in half and vaguely smeared with very cheap magarine, and half a bottle of garlic put on top. Not even warmed.
While I was wondering how I was going to force this down, as I had bullied hubby into ordering it, so felt I needed to eat it, our lasagna arrived. A small slab of misery, flopped on the (cold) plate. The meat was grey, lumpy and gristly, after the first bit I just knew I couldn't eat any more. The 'white sauce' looked like glue, and wasn't even warmed up, and the pasta was half raw. A bit of grated cheese was put on the top and the whole put into the microwave (I'm guessing) to just get that to melt.
Although reasonably priced, this place was not a cheap fast food joint (or so I thought), and I just decided that I couldn't eat this muck, as did my husband. Poor waitress (I can't fault her) bounded up to ask if all was ok and I told her that no, in fact we just cannot eat the meal. She looked as if she was going to cry, and asked what was wrong. I told her (very nicely, also telling her it wasn't her fault) and she agreed to not charge us.
We eventually went back to our hotel - by this time we'd had a few beers so couldn't drive around looking for somewhere else - and had some cheese and biscuits that had been sitting in our hot car for two days and half a bar of melted chocolate each. Man it tasted good!!
No manager of chef, if indeed there was either, came near us to query the issue, so I'm guessing this place is on it's last legs.

• Visited February 2012