“Proper bed and breakfast.”

Terra Bianca Guest House
Ranked #26 of 77 Oudtshoorn B&B and Inns
Reviewed November 27, 2012

This is the place to stay if you are looking for a comfortable room with a lovely view, a very sumptuous breakfast and most importantly a proper bed and breakfast experience. Morkel is running his guest house the old fashioned way. We were invited to enjoy a glass of wine with him and the other guests before dinner ( which we had chosen from a collection of menus from local restaurants provided by Morkel) -and we felt under no obligation to do this at all. Morkels gorgeous Yorkshire terriers provided great entertainment and he provided a very nice complimentary glass of wine and nice conversation. The next morning we were treated to a sumptuous breakfast on the terrace after a very comfortable nights sleep. Again we sat and chatted with the other guests and our host. We left feeling like we had stayed somewhere really quite special. If you want a faceless, anonymous accommodation experience then don't stay here. But if you would like to be treated like a real guest by a warm, open and individual host then this is the place for you. keep it up Morkel and good luck with every thing.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Annabriony1

Reviewed November 26, 2012

This guest house is situated in a peaceful part of Oudtshoorn with stunning views from our room. Very modern and neat room with the luxury of aircon. Morkel made our stay pleasant with recommendations of what to do in Oudtshoorn as well as where the best restaurants in the area are, and making reservations for us. We really had a stunning time!

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Carlin L
Reviewed November 21, 2012

It has taken me over a month to write this review, because I am not sure where to start. Stayed here in October and it was not the best experience. I actually find it interesting now that there have been no reviews since the beginning of 2012 and wonder if something happened over the past months. First let it be said, that the room was clean and very comfortable and we had a good nights sleep, however, my husband was a little perplexed with the artwork above our bed of a naked man! Unfortunately we found the host to be a little strange and very imposing on our limited time at the property. I think he was trying to be friendly but it just came over wrong. After driving for six hours through the mountains and pouring rain, the last thing my husband and I wanted was to meet him in the house for an hour to enjoy a glass of wine before our dinner reservation, but we really werent given an option when we were "invited up so that we could get to know one another". Although the guest rooms are modern and comfortable, the main house was dark and rather tattered, and when he lit the incense candles and played some awful CD I knew we were trapped. He insisted he knew exactly what time we would be up for breakfast the following morning, so everything could be prepared for our arrival. Goodness, I am on vacation and now I have to give him my exact timing. I want to relax. Breakfast was a fully cooked meal, which I am sure to some people is great. Problem is my husband has a heart condition and doesnt eat bacon, sausage etc. every other B&B we stayed in during the three weeks in SA offered us fruit, cereal, yogurt etc. Maybe if we had been asked what we wanted this wouldnt have been an issue. Not only that, but no sooner than we were served up food, he grabbed a cup of coffee, pulled up a chair at the table and sat down with us.

Morkel I think you need to find a few good B&B's in the area and check our how it is done. Definitely had a lot of things lacking, although I will give you a B+ for effort.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank englishgalinusa
Terra-Bianca, Owner at Terra Bianca Guest House, responded to this reviewResponded November 26, 2012

As a rule, I never respond on any of my TripAdvisor reviews(good or for the first time, not so good), but feel the need to respond to Bermuda Dunes remarks.

The artwork of a naked man. The original painting was done by Jacques-Louis David, of Patroclus, in 1779. It is a male nude yes, but not a frontal nude. It is the study of a male back. MY painting was done by the famous South African Artist, Marinda Combrinck(she was already fortunate enough to be invited to do a Art Exhibition in New York, which is a huge compliment for her and the work she does). Personally I think it's one of the most tasteful and stylish male nude studies I have ever seen. Feel free to have a look at the painting at the following address: http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Jacques-Louis_David_Patrocle.jpg

The story about the well come drinks. Upon arrival, I invite ALL my guests to come and have a well come drink at the main house(if it is something that would interest them) A well come drink can be either, wine(white or red) coffee, tea, juice or water. It is not at extra cost to my guests, but a gesture from my side to say: Well come at Terra Bianca and I do appreciate that you choose Terra Bianca Guest House as your destination in Oudtshoorn. It is not mandatory!!!

The story about the awful music. I play one of the following kinds of music...jazz, lounge or soft opera. Something that is soft in the back ground without being disturbing!!!

Time of breakfast. I serve breakfast between 7 - 9am, unless guests specifically ask for an earlier/later breakfast. My warm breakfast is plated meaning: If the guests tell me they want breakfast at 8:00am, I make sure that the breakfast is as fresh from the stove in front of my guests as possible. If you arrive 8:20am, it means that I had to keep your breakfast warm for 20 minutes!!!!

The cooked breakfast. You mentioned that you arrived at Terra Bianca in the rain. I figured it was kind of cold outside. In cold weather I will not even consider given any of my guests a cold breakfast unless they ask for it. I had guests in the past that were Muslim, vegetarian, Jewish, people with heart conditions! The only difference is that they will let me know in advance so that I can specifically cater for them. No host will automatically knows these things. My cold breakfast consists of muesli, yoghurt and a selection of fruits.

Grabbing coffee and sat at the table. Terra Bianca consists out of 4 double suite's. That mean that I am able to pay personal attention to all my guests every needs. I would like to think that it is exactly why guests book accommodation with Terra Bianca Guest House and not at a bigger guest house or hotel where you can get the impersonal service. I am sorry that I did not read you properly enough to give you that extra space. Terra Bianca is a one man show, I do every thing myself! Preparing breakfast, serving it, cleaning up after guests and attending the garden. I have no employees.

Bermuda, thanks for the B+ for effort...you are a very generous woman!!!!!!

Morkel Mulder
Owner of Terra Bianca Guest House

Reviewed November 15, 2012

What an awesome place to stay! The rooms are beautiful and spacious and on top of everything the linen is of excellent quality and the guest house is situated in a peaceful area which ensured that we had a good night's rest! The service is just excellent and our host was amazing! We can definitely recommend Terra Bianca!

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 30, 2012

We spent 3 nights at Terra Bianca in a tastefully decorated, large room with a comfortable bed and a nice bathroom with a separate toilet. The B&B is situated on a quiet street about 5 minutes by car from restaurants and shops. All air-conditioned rooms are in an additional building behind the house reachable by some steps. The surroundings are very quiet. WIFI is complimentary and works best on the terrace in front of the house.
There is no sign in front of the B&B telling you if you have reached the right doorstep, but keep in mind there is just one Cape Dutch style house in Taute street. We could park our rental car on the premises. The breakfast was very good and served on the terrace so you cannot miss the wonderful birds and the great view towards the mountains.

We especially enjoyed the chats with owner Morkel over a glass of wine prior of going out to dinner. It gave our stay a personal touch. He also gave good recommendations of things to do in and around Oudtshoorn and restaurants as well as making the necessary reservations. We came as strangers but left as friends.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Danielle M
Reviewed July 9, 2012

Great hospitality. The room is very big and cosy decorated. Wonderful place to stay with a great view.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 31, 2012

Terra Bianca is a great place to stay. The Guest house was beautiful and luxurious. Morkel was an excellent host. The bedroom is sophisticatedly decorated with beautiful furniture and I loved the big stone bath in the bathroom and the attention to detail. We enjoyed the fantastic breakfast at the main house and would defiantly stay again!

Room Tip: All the rooms are beautiful, you can choose one and will have a great stay!