88 Baron van Reede Guesthouse
  • Pool
Boesmanskop(Oudtshoorn)
  • Restaurant
View Hotel
All reviewsb bone nightguest housefantastic hostslovely couplecango cavesold friendson arrivaloff street parkingfriendly ownersplaces to visitsense of humourlocal restaurantssecure parkinglocal knowledgegarden routehomemade jams
FilterAll languages
Reviewed December 15, 2012

From the moment I was greeted by owners Huw and Zoe when I arrived, I knew I was going to love this place. 88 Baron van Reede Guesthouse is a well-kept, comfortable property with everything I needed - good beds, a decent bathroom, air conditioning, excellent breakfast, convenient location, very reasonable prices - but it is the welcome from the owners that set this place apart for me. I felt like Huw and Zoe truly welcomed me into their home and wanted to get to know me as an individual. I only stayed one night on a brief stopover while driving Route 62 back to Cape Town, but if ever I find myself in Oudtshoorn again, i'd love to stay longer.

Room Tip: We were originally booked into a ground floor room; when we arrived, Huw recommended we switch to a first floor room in the annex building at the back of the property. This was a great recommendation.
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed December 11, 2012

This place is a gem in this town, Zoe and Huw do an excellent running it.
They care for you, rooms are clean, big enough, very quite, safe parking.
Zoe helped us with some hints regarding the highlights of the area.
Breakfast was very rich with a great choice.
restaurant next door served excellent food as well.
Nice place to be recommended.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed December 10, 2012

A brilliant 2 night stay in comfortable, clean & stylish accommodation with neat & tidy garden areas, easy access to restaurants & shops. Zoe & Huw are brilliant hosts. We received a warm welcome. Once unpacked, Huw, sat down with us on the verandah & over a glass beer told us of all the interesting places to visit i.e. Cango Caves, Swartberg Pass Waterfall & Driving Route. Recommend the chocolate muffins, Huw, makes for breakfast. Well worth the visit!
Mike, Raff, Birmingham
Weena & Richard Wilson

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed December 6, 2012

Spotlessly clean and well cared for and although we only stayed I night, we could not have been made more welcome. Don't be put off by the main street location, it is blissfully quiet at the back of the house and the cleanest pool we saw in 3 weeks. Easily on a par with other guest houses we visited and better than some, Zoe and Huw are natural and understanding hosts.

Room Tip: The steps to the loft could be an issue with some people.
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank oldfogies
Reviewed December 5, 2012

88 Baron van Reede guesthouse is by far the best guesthouse we've ever stayed at. Zoe and Huw go out of their way to ensure you have the most wonderful time staying with them. On arrival Huw told us about lots of very interesting places (like the ostrich farms) and restaurants to go to while in Oudtshoorn. Following his recommendation (he also did the booking for us) we had dinner at the Buffelsdrift Game Lodge which was really excellent, good food in a fantastic location. The rooms in the guesthouse are very nicely decorated, big and very clean of course - great for relaxing. The pool is nice but quite small, great to cool down though. Breakfast ist very yummy and there's plenty to choose from: cereals, joghurt, fresh homemade muffins, full cooked English breakfast ... very delicious. If we ever come to Oudtshoorn again we'll definitely want to stay with this lovely couple again - thanks for the wonderful stay Zoe & Huw!

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple