“Good Food in refined environment at fair prices”
Review of The Colony

The Colony
Ranked #12 of 48 Restaurants in Oudtshoorn
Cuisines: International
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed December 23, 2011

Very nice restaurant upstairs in Queens Hotel. Steaks, Rack of Lamb, Loin of Springbok and Grilled Line-Fish are all excellent mains. Good service and very fair prices.

Reviewed December 21, 2011

Good vegetarian dishes, which is difficult to get in far away places in the Karoo. Highly recommended.

Reviewed December 6, 2011

Sells itself as a South African styled menu, but like the host hotel, has lost track. Spicy listed foods are dull and have no character, indeed were sent back. The rest of the menu is standard main street. The wine list has none of the close-by cellars, relying on old standard entries. Genelally dull.

2  Thank chrisuniondale
Reviewed December 6, 2011

The best Ostrich-steak ever, I would like to go back for it ;-) Too bad it's a 12h-flight from Belgium!

It's a very charming restaurant, going back in time, I felt like a queen!
The staff is very friendly.. In my room (we were staying in the Queens hotel) I already smelled that there was a delicious desert in the oven, so after diner, I asked were the wonderfull smell came from ;-) Apparentely they were trying something new with chocolate, which was not on the menu so I couldn't order it, but after 5 min the cook came with a very nice plate, just to let me try! It was sooo sweet ;-) I just loved this personal touch!
Price was very good too!

Reviewed December 4, 2011

We were advised to go here by the guest house management and it was well worth it. It is in the Queens Hotel right in the centre of town and can be walked to from most of the hotels and guest houses. White linen table cloths, immaculate service and superb menu. The price for Oudtshoorn is quite expensive but for UK visitors it is really cheap. If you can only do one restaurant during your visit this is the one. It is busy though and a booking is advised, our guesthouse made it for us.