“An absolute must do experience”

Zwartberg View Mountain Lodge
Randburg, South Africa
“An absolute must do experience”
Reviewed January 8, 2013

From the time I entered the Lodge, I was blown away. I thoroughly enjoyed my stay at the lodge, I loved the whole set up, the decor, even down to the little bush pig!! Jann was a wonderful host and I had the best meal of my whole holiday at the Lodge. The sunset was just breathtaking, and watching the moon rise above the mountains, was just so beautiful. I wish we could have stayed longer ....... Well done Jann !! Denise Roos.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (71)
Gauteng
Reviewed January 7, 2013

We stayed at Zwartberg view for 2 nights and we (my wife and I) really enjoyed our stay here.

Jann makes a lot of effort with the food and this lodge truly offers great value for money - the food is first class! thanks Jann.

It is also a great experience to have animals (Spring bok, Bush pigs, Zebras etc.) around whilst enjoying some time around the bush TV (Camp Fire).

This is truly a place where you can just escape from the world and enjoy the solitude of the Karoo at its best.

For those who are looking for a truly relaxed experience, a couple of nights would be perfect but for the more adventurous 1- 2 nights would probably be more suitable.

The lodge has 3 Chalets and they all appear to be the same from what we could see, they are quite private and has everything you need in them.

My only major critisism of the lodge is that you're basically forced to share the evenings and breakfasts with other guests staying at the lodge since there is one big dinner/breakfast table that all the guests staying at the lodge has to share. The braai area is also communal. This is perfectly fine if you're out to meet people but I found it a bit of a hinderance to a romantic evening with my wife. I would recommend that 3 individual tables with privacy be provided for going forward. It would also have been great if there was a place to swim as the 'swimming pool' was not well kept since it had no water in it.

Will I stay at the lodge here again? If I'm in the area looking for a good place to spend the night (maybe 2) the answer is Yes.

Would I spend a week here? No, since the surrounding area doesn't provide enough entertainment in my opinion - not the fault of the lodge.

All in all, a truly unique experience awaits you at Zwartberg view!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
jannharoldbader, Owner at Zwartberg View Mountain Lodge, responded to this review, January 7, 2013
Firstly, a huge thank you for an excellent review !!! Deeply appreciated.
I would like to comment on the suggestions made for us, which are quite clearly in order to assist us going forward and equally deeply appreciated.
We do not have a swimming pool at all. For me personally, building a swimming pool and taking more than my fair share of the water that has to sustain the farmers and indeed villages
would not be fair. We have a rockpool that relies entirely on rain water to flow down the gully.
In January, it is dry here and the rock pool will also be dry. We do not ever advertise the existence of the rock pool.
We only sleep six people here and it is my experience that having one dining table enables people to interact with each other, often, exchanging tips for further on with their tours, sometimes even meeting up again elsewhere. Having three tables would isolate people and might result in us having to have 3 fire decks - also, not all our guests come in groups of two !
Zebra Walk Cottage is ideal for people who want to be on their own whilst at the lodge !
There is one point of disagreement though, and that would be on how much there is to do in the region !
Once again, thanks for a wonderful review and I hope you do indeed come back !!
Cologne, Germany
Reviewed January 4, 2013

Nothing!! What do you need more? Absolute remoteness in incredible landscape, excellent supper freshly cooked on the braai by the friendly Jann (with a good sense of sarcastic humor though) and the quiet -always smiling- Amanda. Nice and clean accommodation in the three huts. A lively wild-pig and a relaxed dog joining the zebras and the springboks while you enjoy your sundowner at the campfire and watch them....30 feet away from you. This is no "Feel-good-in-holiday-machinery"..this is just real...
But wait: There IS on thing missing: more time!...Go there, you'll like it...

Best wishes from Tom, Sabine, Michael and Jolanta

Johannesburg, South Africa
Reviewed January 4, 2013

We had a lovely stay with Jann. He is an excellent cook and host and if anyone is looking for a stay in the Karroo outside Oudtshoorn to stay this is the place with springbok, tame pet pig and friendly Zebras and of course a fantastic view of the Karoo. It is owner run and his care is everywhere to be seen.

brussels
Reviewed January 3, 2013

We stayed two nights of our honeymoon in this lodge. It was something very different from all other places we have seen during our trip in SA. If you are traveling in the little karoo and you are looking for a place to stay it is definitely the right one, you will have the chance to experience sundown on the mountains in the middle of nowhere. The location of the lodge, quality of the food and the tasteful accommodation will make your stay unforgettable!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank so much for this review. Your sentiments are exactly what we have tried to achieve here
in creating a place that somehow reflects the Karoo of old - clear skies, wild animals, nature,
extreme friendliness and a relaxed atmosphere which is why establishing that our neighbour
at Thabile has decided to concentrate on fulfilling the needs of the biker community comes as very good for us and our guests as we have always struggled to provide the adrenalin rush
and the high energy activities bikers seem to enjoy. so, one thing our guests can always look forward to here - no motorbikes, as one would expect from most game reserves !!
Aberdeen, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 29, 2012

2 families traveling with kids from 7-16 stayed for a truly memorable night. Arrived in the afternoon to very high temperatures , no ac , no swimming pool and no wifi. Kids and wife giving me a hard time for going out of our way for this special location. As the sun began to set the mountains lit up and the wildlife slowly came out of the bush. By 7. 30 we were having drinks on the deck with jann zebras a wild pig and a variety of deer. Now the tone had changed to what a great job I'd done finding this truly special location with a wonderful host who patiently answered all our questions about people , culture and wildlife. The amazing night sky, peace and tranquility topped off the evening. This is a truly different experience and the story of how it was made is a great read.

from my 10 year old daughter Jenna : " a really lovely place, pretty views, I really enjoyed having dinner with wild zebras and antelopes. I wanted to take his dog and pig home and enjoyed his jokes!"

Room Tip: Stayed in the zebra cottage, which has the advantage of having a pool where wildlife drink next to i...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank jasop
jannharoldbader, Owner at Zwartberg View Mountain Lodge, responded to this review, January 2, 2013
This review is a case in point !
The reviewer found himself in deep water when his family discovered that we are a bit off the beaten track and that we don't have ALL the facilities of our in-town competitors.
But, once the Zwartberg view magic took hold, he went from zero to hero in less than 10 seconds !
Now, his daughter is doing her homework every night, and he is treated to a home cooked meal all week long. And all because he had the foresight to bring the family to us !!
This review is sheer proof that our magical place lives on long after the sunsets, the dancing
piglet and the storytelling !
Thanks for staying, and thanks for the review !
Jann.
Reviewed December 27, 2012

We stayed unfortunately for one night only, but thoroughly enjoyed this 'lodge with a difference'. We are reasonably seasoned travellers throughout South Africa, and have stayed at many different lodges over the years, but host Jann has really managed to make his 'handmade' experience superbly enjoyable and memorable. From the tasteful decoration and quality and cleanliness of the accommodation, to the great dinner venue and excellent food served in the evening, this is certainly a Karoo stop-over that we highly recommend to those seeking a unforgettable holiday memory rather than a thirteen in a dozen overnighter in the bush elsewhere.

Stayed December 2012, traveled with family