“I HIGHLY recommend staying here”

Backpackers Paradise & Joyrides
Kolda, Senegal
“I HIGHLY recommend staying here”
Reviewed August 8, 2013

We had a great experience all around. The owner was so accommodating and helped us set up all the activities we wanted to do. Backpackers Paradise has their own daily bike trips that leave every morning where they drop you off at one of 3 spots on the way up a mountain and then you get bike back down. If you are wanting hardcore mountain biking on dirt trails, this isn't it; it was more of a leisurely ride down a nice paved road. This hostel gets you discounts at local attractions, so we took the bike shuttle up to the Cango caves and road down to the hostel from there, stopping at the Cango Ostrich Farms. And both of those stops were awesome!! The hostel had a big kitchen with lots of dishes and cooking space to use, parking in a locked gated area so it felt very secure, and a restaurant as well as a bar with wifi.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
Reviewed August 8, 2013 via mobile

Can't recommend staying here enough. The staff are fantastic and very friendly. The facilities are great, clean and fully equipped. We pitched our tent while we stayed here so can't commend in the rooms for cleanliness but the bathrooms bd kitchens were immaculate. The ostrich egg for breakfast was. Nice touch too. If you are staying here you must try the carrot cake also - tasty!!

• Stayed July 2013
Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed August 8, 2013

Oudtshoorn (said like “Goat’s Horn” with a silent ‘G’) is one of the stops on the BazBus route which requires a shuttle transfer from George (about a 45 minute drive), as well as a suggested minimum two-night stay – and so, whether it’s worth the time is an oft-heard debate. For my money, the George-to-Oudtshoorn drive alone, through the Outeniqua Mountain Range, is worth the time and the small amount charged by Backpackers Paradise for the transfer; which meets the BazBus (no waiting)! I loved Backpackers Paradise from the moment they collected me, to arriving in time for the every-evening fire-pit Ostrich Braai, until when I departed.

Paradise itself is a centrally located collection of buildings in a code-secured garden setting. Come and go as you please, no lock-out. The bar (with an indoor pool-table) skirts the fire-pit BBQ and outdoor garden areas, and is just a courtyard across from the combined dining/ lounge/reception (which has a fireplace, TV & free wifi) – making for an expansive common zone; perfect to either mingle or find your own space.

I stayed a self-contained street-front room – spacious and very clean. Didn’t experience the street-noise mentioned in other reviews, but there is overspill from the nearby dorm. Refundable deposit for a towel, but bed linen included. Credit cards accepted. There’s a blackboard system to signup for the paid activities on offer (all organised by Paradise), and is a great way to see who is doing what and who you might like to join. A fellow French traveller highly recommended the Swartberg Pass cycle, an approx. 50km one-way journey which you do at your own pace and stop along the way where you want (you get dropped at the mountain top on a bike at around 7am and finish depending on your choices). I loved the Cango Caves and a great tip is to ensure you get there at opening. A German traveller and I managed to be the first through and scored a group with just the two of us (much better than being one of anywhere between 15 and 35 – & having to wait for everyone to climb through the chambers). I skipped the Ostrich Farm but hear it’s good if you like that sort of thing. I, instead, whiled away an afternoon at the local “La Dolce Vita” pub, a great little spot with a small indoors and fabulous outdoors area, and with a fantastic music playlist. Seems a bit of a haunt for locals and is run by the very welcoming Christof and Lisa. Is stumbling distance back to Paradise.

My travelling timetable, and that of the BazBus, wouldn’t have allowed me to spend the suggested two nights in Oudtshoorn, but for a small extra fee, Petra and Marius (owners of Paradise), offered to drive me to Wilderness on the day the BazBus didn’t run. They were terrifically generous hosts and their establishment, Paradise (and Oudtshoorn, in which it is based) is each a worthwhile reason to make this stop. I loved every moment.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank SoozSolo
Peterborough, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 5, 2013

School trip 28 students 15/16yrs, 5 Adults. Stayed Monday 29th July 2013. Our South Africa Tour Guide picked this up of the internet having never stayed himself. What an experience. Seven days into our visit one night at the Backpackers. Boys in two rooms, 12 girls in one large dorm . Adults in double rooms in house. Great atmosphere, very friendly people, students loved it. Fires lit and a lovely Ostrich braii. Clean warm accommodation, good breakfast. What more could you ask for. We will definitely be back. Feedback from students. BEST OF THE TRIP.

Room Tip: Didn't see single travelers accommodation. All adults stayed in the house. Double rooms, clean...
Potchefstroom, South Africa
Reviewed July 26, 2013

The owners were very accommodating and helpful. My friend and I arrived after 2 in the morning and they went out of their way to make us feel at home.
the restaurant has great food, the fire place is the perfect thing during winter and the lounge is really relaxing.
Thank you!
=)

Tacoma, WA
Reviewed July 9, 2013

...but you can't beat the price. Only cost us R12 to stay in a dorm room. We stayed 2 nights. This being the middle of winter, we had the place to ourselves the first night. A couple of tours showed up and there were a lot of people the 2nd night, but the staff didn't place anyone else in our dorm room, so my wife, my daughter and I got to have an 8 person dorm room to ourselves for another night. However, if I were to stay here again, I would pay a little more to get a family room as the bathroom is inside. Our bathroom was outside and required a short walk to get there.

The staff was nice and gave us coupons which saved us money on our visits to the Cango Caves and the Ostrich farm. That was appreciated, but there was no wifi in our dorm room and I couldn't get it to work on my computer in the office area either. They have a couple of desktops in there as well, but you have to pay extra to use them.

Room Tip: Pay a little extra for a family room which gives you a bit more privacy and an interior bathroom.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
San Francisco, California
Reviewed June 19, 2013

Stayed one night at this property and am glad that was it. There is a possibility that our stay was slightly affected by the very loud, inconsiderate Boland Kickboxing Team from Hermanus. The kids in this group were just loud and obnoxious. But, in the end, the property is lacking.

Positives:
- Friendly staff
- centrally located
- inexpensive
- good shared kitchen
- the cafe and bar were decent

Negatives:
- Our double was right on the street so the street noise was significant
- our double was right next to a large dorm room (which housed a large group of loud, inconsiderate children)
- the mattresses are thin and worn
- there were pubic hairs on the sheets
- there was no coffee available at 8am (the machine was still "warming up" and Nescafe does not count as coffee...no).

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends