“Very anti social guide..... Don't do it!!!”

Sleepy Hollow Horse Riding
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 38 helpful votes
“Very anti social guide..... Don't do it!!!”
Reviewed November 6, 2012

I'll keep it short. I rode with the girlfriend... She can ride.. I can't. The horses did nothing. Tried to bolt a few times. Walked in single file for two hours and weren't allowed to get a photo on the beach. Poor maddy the guide refused to talk to either of us. I only know this was bad because I had been horse riding a week earlier in Knysna. The positive reviews seem to be made up.

3 Thank Mcdainty

common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 71 helpful votes
“Stay away!!”
Reviewed November 6, 2012

Really lame horses, wouldn't / couldn't do anything but walk in single file! Very unresponsive but easily spooked- definitely not right for beach rides where dogs/ surfers are!
Guide acted as though taking us out was the last thing she wanted to do, only spoke when spoken to & refused to take a photo of us even when asked!
We paid r800 for two hours of plodding along, the scenery is beautiful but we could have enjoyed it more alone not in the uncomfortable silence of our mute guide!
Every other horse stable I've been to in Capetown has offered a more enjoyable ride at more competitive rates!
Honestly the worse experience- don't do it to yourselves!!

1 Thank Rachaelsylvester
Geneva, Switzerland
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“The horses got scared and sent all of us to the hospital”
Reviewed November 3, 2012

WE found the ranch on a booklet from the tourist information. WE had already an experience in horse riding (about 15 times). We were very surprised by the way the handle the excursion. There was only one guide for 4 people (their website mentions guideS) and the horses were brought one by one. Usually guides would check that horses get along well but it was not done there. Some horses were actually quite excited and unresponsive to guidance. We asked to change but we were told that things would be fine. Suddenly, one horse got scared and started to gallop throwing his rider hopefully on the sand.The guide went to fetch the horse but herself did not manage to master her horse and the scared horse. At one point she had to give up and the scared horse ran away followed by all the other horse galloping behind. Two riders managed to jump off in the sand, but last one got hurt badly when the horse threw him down some hundreds meters away on a paved road (the person was screaming in pain). At this point, we were divided in two groups, one still on the beach and the other one in the residential areas.
The guide called somebody to fetch us by car, and when we inquired about the other group (the one who fell on a paved road when their horses got mad), the driver told us they were fine and already went back home. The truth was that the group arrived at the ranch and the people were shocked and wounded and two ambulances were called to the scene.
The medics suspected a spine injury and handle the wounded people very carefully. We all ended up at the hospital for treatment and checks. From the medics, we discovered that, contrary to what Sleepy Hollow people told us, regularly people were thrown off their horses at Sleepy Hollow.
One of the lady managing the ranch ask the medics where they get their blankets from!!! While medics were busy caring for the shocked and wounded people. There was no sorry or apologies.

In short, I would not recommend at all this place. People are dishonest and incompetent. Horses get scared very easily and the guide is not to be trusted.

When I mentioned the story to my friend, he said he had clients who went there and experienced the same problem. The daughter was badly wounded at the back and to stay several days at the hospital. His clients were experienced horse riders (every week). The issue is clearly with the way they train the horses.

This place must be avoided at all cost.
Their website is inaccurate on many issues. Stay away!!!

Visited October 2012
2 Thank D B
Cape Town Central, South Africa
15 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 16 helpful votes
“Fantastic!”
Reviewed October 15, 2012

My sister and I went on a beach ride with Cathy (our guide) and Rebel, Paddy and Cognac. What a fantastic ride! Since we're both experienced riders, we could trot and canter, although as I understand if there are novices this is not allowed (for obvious reasons!) and it's made very clear from the beginning.

I had a bad fall recently and my confidence levels weren't as high as usual, but Cathy made sure that I was doing ok the whole time. It was quite windy at the beach, so my favourite part of the ride was bundu bashing through the wetlands on our way back!

The horses are awesome, and Cathy was fantastic, telling us about the history of the shipwreck and interesting bits of info about Noordhoek and the animal and bird life.

I can't wait to go on a beach ride again and can definitely recommend it!

Visited October 2012
1 Thank MarilizeBurger
Noordhoek, South Africa
7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 6 helpful votes
“My kids ride at sleepy hollow twice a week.”
Reviewed August 13, 2012

Sleepy Hollow is great for the entire family. Good for lessons for kids and the BEST for once off (or as often as you feel) riding on the beach. Possibly one of the best beaches in the world to ride on.

Visited August 2012