“Average”

Cuisines: African
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed June 22, 2013

It was the first time I had visited the Red Herring in a few years. I would have given those past visits a solid 4 stars. However my last visit in April was nothing much to write home about. It was simply, average.

The view, setting and atmosphere are still brilliant but I felt that the service as well as the running of the place wasn't what it used to be.

The food:

Calamari - memorably good, tasty sauce.
Burger - Cheap, processed patty unfortunately.
Chicken salad - fresh greens but processed chicken.

---But if one is merely going for some slow drinks with a beautiful view and you don't happen to mind laid back service that is, at times,inconsistent, then I highly recommend the Red Herring.

But If you're wanting quality food and good service, you should consider going elsewhere. And in the Cape, you're spoiled for choice in this regard.

Reviewed May 11, 2013 via mobile

We had a leisurely late lunch sitting on the top deck over looking the sea. The menu is varied with something for everyone. The food was lovely and fresh with generous portions. The service was efficient and quick. All in all a fabulous lunch.

Reviewed March 22, 2013

My husband and I decided to return to this restaurant after not having been back for quite a while and we were not disappointed. I have enjoyed many of their delicious pizzas over the years, but we chose seafood on this occasion, namely mussels as a shared starter and calamari strips as our mains. The menu is simple and rather predictable as it features typical pub food, but the creamy, herby sauce on the mussels had us oohing and aahing! I also liked the fact that I could have a couscous salad instead of chips with my meal, which was tasty indeed. Ice-cold beer in a tall glass and a fruity chenin blanc for me rounded off a lovely leisurely lunch in a great atmosphere. Good service too!

Reviewed January 11, 2013

The sunset view is very nice! The ambiance is also nice, and inviting for a pub. However, the quality of the food is just under my expectations.

You go here for the drinks, and the view. The food leaves lots to be expected.

2  Thank CV39560
Reviewed January 1, 2013

What a lovely place. Outside dining with a view over the bay. Very friendly staff and a super ambience.