“Super pizza, super view”

The Red Herring Restaurant
Ranked #4 of 14 Restaurants in Noordhoek
Cuisines: African
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed January 1, 2013

What a lovely place. Outside dining with a view over the bay. Very friendly staff and a super ambience.

Reviewed November 12, 2012

On a recent trip to Cape Town I made sure to have my obligatory stop at The Red Herring. No trip to Cape Town will be complete without a pizza and a beer there!
In my opinion it is surely the best pizzas is all of South Africa and the vibe is without a doubt a big contributing factor to this. Even the beer taste better there!!
The Red Herring clearly gets frequented by all walks of life and all the patrons seem to have an equally great experience.
Park your surf board outside and meet up with good friends, that is what this place is all about.
I hope it will still be open for many generations to come!!

Reviewed July 3, 2012

We were unable to get into any other restaurants nearby, as they were all hosting private parties. One of the men who was having his 50th birthday saw us a bit lost and suggested we try the Red Herring. It was tasty and cozy and the enormous house cat and sweet house dog really made our evening.

Reviewed May 28, 2012

We arrived late in the afternoon, early evening which, much to our dismay, meant that we missed the best part of the view! The restaurant together with a couple of other shops, forms part of a "trading post". So there's much more to do than just eat and have a couple of drinks. There is ample parking space available, however you do need to know exactly where you are going to find the place. Once you've found it, boy is it one of those hidden little gems!

Food, service, ambiance and the view, view view! All brilliant! We have a grand dining club-card which was eagerly accepted without any hassles! Although our stay was short, it was really pleasant and we would definitely return to this great... I hesitate to call it a restaurant, personally a trading post fits it much better!

If you are in the area, even if you aren't... take the drive, it is well worth it!

p.s. When I rated the selection criteria under view, I was looking for the 7th circle!

2  Thank Terrence C
Reviewed May 13, 2012

Arrived at the Red Herring on a bit of a tour around the Cape on Mothers Day. Wasnt planning on visiting the place but we came across it after driving down towards the Noordhoek beach. Weather was good for Winter so we decided to sit outside on the wooden benches. I think they also have a viewing deck on the top of the building which has a better view.

They had very nice live music which we enjoyed. My wife wasnt very hungry so we decided to share a wood-fired garlic pita and had drinks. Lots of kids and family around.

Service was good and garlic pita not bad. All in all a relaxing stop.