“Outstanding hospitality”

Ranked #5 of 10 Noordhoek B&B and Inns
Knysna, South Africa
“Outstanding hospitality”
Reviewed September 22, 2012

Our family stayed at Sacred Mountain lodge in July and enjoyed superb hospitality and service at very affordable rates. The breakfasts were scrumptious and very generous and it was really like 'home' away from home! Thank you for all that you have done for us! My 4-year old just want to move to Noordhoek! :)

• Stayed July 2012, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
Reviewed September 6, 2012

My decision to pop into Sacred Mountain Lodge last night was surely inspired. Needing a good nights sleep, I took a chance and they were more than accommodating. I am sure that arriving late midweek unanounced had something to do with having a room ready for me.
The rate was beyond reasonable. Tea and coffees right on hand! How many times I have lamented the lack of that basic necessity in even the finest establishments.
And what a breakfast! All it takes is booking it with management before sleep time.
I had to laugh at the previous review, having worked in luxury tourism as a youngster, it was always when getting a bargain or freebie that had a complaint was made.
I will definitely recommend this establishment to my colleagues and friends who need to get away for a night or two. Like a home away from home . Next time I can't wait to try the massage treatments and I am told that there will be professional natural detox programmes in the future.
Well done !

• Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed September 5, 2012

We arrived for a romantic getaway night from our toddler, but alas the fates were not with us! On arrival we were told that despite booking, no supper had been planned for us. No apology was given for the mixup, nor offer to help us book dinner somewhere local. We extracted the names of local restaurants (the requisite information folder being missing from our suite), but the manager would give no advice as to local favourites and told us we didn't need to book. Luckily we ignored her! Next day she expressed surprise we had gotten a table and mentioned that the restaurant we'd chosen was a big local favourite!!! Sigh!

The jacuzzi session we had booked had been moved without notice to another time, and we had to re-arrange evening plans around this. Not a biggie, but things were starting to add up!

The parking was secure, but a tight squeeze to accommodate all guests. We were told off for parking inappropriately, (though we'd done so as considerately as we could). This from one of the owners, who didn't bother to introduce himself or welcome us before launching into his unceremonious request. Bad first impressions were going downhill!

Our cottage was neat, but not fabulously clean. It was separated from the suite next door by only a wooden door, so we could hear each cough and snore from the couple staying there, along with the TV noise. It didn't make us feel like getting up to much romance for fear of being overheard!

My husband had booked a facial for me the following morning. I arrived on time, to find the therapist bemoaning the lack of towels provided for her. The room was freezing. Clearly no-one had thought to turn on the heater to prepare for my arrival. While I was changing, the manager burst in to bring warm water. There I was topless! A knock would have been appreciated. The facial itself, however, was heaven!

Despite all of these things, my husband and I managed to have a good break and a delicious dinner at the local Food Barn Tapas Restaurant (highly recommended). In summary, Sacred Mountain Lodge seemed to have no idea of how to set a welcoming tone, or of any sense of interpersonal relations. The staff were over-casual and lacked professionalism (the customer in their view tended to be wrong). I wouldn't recommend staying here, though Noordhoek itself is lovely.

Room Tip: Check if your suite is interleading to another suite (i.e. is there a door connecting two suites). I...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Jane D
Reviewed September 3, 2012

After reading the other reviews on the Sacred Mountain Lodge, I could not wait for our weekend getaway to the B&B. My husband and I booked the self catering unit The Vine Cottage, but did not expect to be disappointed on so many levels.

The internet advertised a Continental Buffet breakfast with your hot breakfast to order. Advertised on the internet was cereals, yoghurts, toast, muffins, cheeses, cold meats and preserves. On arrival at breakfast the saturday morning, we were not greeted by anyone, cereals were in plastic containers with paper labels on them, no cheeses, no cold meats, no preserves and no muffins. There was not enough coffee for my husband and i so when we asked for more filter coffee, the one lady who worked at the B&B simply poured hot water into the coffee machine to mix with the already made coffee in the filter. Only cold milk was available for coffee. Further to our amazement, we were seating with all the other B&B guests at one large dining room table.

During the day, our cottage was serviced and bathroom towels and mats were removed for washing/laundry. However, when we returned in the afternoon, our towels had not been returned/replaced. On enquiry with the staff, I was informed that they were still busy with the towels. So we had to wait until our towels were returned. Surely a four star B&B has more than one set of towels per room?

Another annoyance which I did not expect at a four star B&B was constantly having to chase the owner's dog away from the cottages. I am not against animals, but when you plan on going away for a romantic getaway - you don't expect to have to contend with someone else's pet.

Although we had booked the Vine Cottage, my husband and i were required to sleep on two single beds pushed together. On a positive note, the cottage was very neat and clean.

So, needless to say we were so disappointed in our weekend away. I am pleased that the other reviewers had a good experience, maybe we were just unlucky!

Good luck to Samantha and her team for the future.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank DAS391
Cape Town, South Africa
Reviewed July 4, 2012

Samantha and her mom made us feel so at home last weekend when we checked in. Although we live in Cape Town, we wanted to get away from it all, and Sacred Mountain proved the perfect spot. We were shown into our very spacious room and then ushered off to the candle lit jacuzzi area tucked away in the bottom of the garden for a relaxing massage ahead of the evening's 50th birthday at a nearby venue.

In the morning, a stunning breakfast of freach toast and crossants with omlette was served in our room. That was a total bonus.

Room Tip: Dont go for self catering - Samathas breakfast's are devine. treat yourself.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Prague
Reviewed July 3, 2012

Everyone was so wonderfully welcoming. We had a beautiful suite (The Oak...) with kitchen, an enormous bathroom and, the piece de resistance, the fireplace. Upon our arrival, we immediately started a fire and I nestled up to it with a hot cup of tea while my husband napped nearby. We loved the jacuzzi and the massages we got in the sanctuary. Such a great location--we were able to get to Cape Point, the Cape of Good Hope, Hout Bay, Noordhoek Beach, and all points in between without any hassle. The owner and her staff are top notch, solicitous (but not overly so) and very friendly. The pooch on site is also very friendly. All in all, a wonderful, autumn holiday.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
Richmond, Virginia, United States
Reviewed April 17, 2012

I hadn't been to South Africa before, much less Cape Town, so I struggled to pinpoint a location that would be ideal for our stay. We settled on the Sacred Mountain Lodge and could not have been happier.

We stayed in the Vine Cottage and had an abundance of comfortable space and beautiful surroundings - there was even a banana tree growing in our front yard!

The Lodge is a great setting to get away from the hustle and bustle of the Cape Town waterfront area, and provides easy access to the Cape of Good Hope, as well as Simon's Town, Boulders Beach, and Kalk Bay.

We had breakfast one morning in the dining room with exceptional food as well as delightful service and interesting and informative conversation with the staff and owners.

I can't stress enough how pleasant our stay was at the Sacred Mountain Lodge - I would highly recommend it to anyone traveling to Cape Town.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Noordhoek
The Last Word Long Beach
#3 of 10 in Noordhoek
Goose Green Lodge
Goose Green Lodge
#2 of 10 in Noordhoek

Been to Sacred Mountain Lodge? Share your experiences!