“Great place but let down by public use of private pools”

Cape Town Beachfront Apartments at Leisure Bay
melbourne
“Great place but let down by public use of private pools”
Reviewed January 15, 2013

We booked a privately owned 2 bedroom apartment via Hotel Club and were pleasantly surprised by how fabulous it was. The views are spectacular which more than made up for the lack of some amenities (doors didn't close, no dishwasher). Yes the service in the bar was slow and the food in the restaurant average, but the staff were incredibly generous in their warmth and welcoming. Luckily we were on the second floor and I felt really sorry for the people on the ground level who were literally invaded by people who were obviously not guests of the hotel. It seems there may have been one couple who invited 40 (we counted!) of their friends and family and children to visit whereupon they proceeded to take control of the entire 'common' pools and dining areas. They even had the audacity to set up their own picnic tables and chairs, bring their own food (3 courses including snacks) and rearrange the furniture and umbrellas. This invasion lasted over 5 hours by which time no one else in the establishment could even get near the pool as unsupervised children had commanded the rights to the space. It was especially frustrating that there was no one from the hotel or management to control this ridiculous scenario. We are all for people having fun, but NOT when it impacts on paying guests.

Room Tip: Anything that ISN'T on the ground floor!
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank intrepidbanana
Elbé C, General Manager at Cape Town Beachfront Apartments at Leisure Bay, responded to this review, January 27, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking time to write this review about your recent stay at Leisure Bay. We rely on guest feedback to determine both the positive and negative aspects of our hotel and to improve wherever possible.

Your interest and concern are therefore extremely valuable to us, and we hope that you will be staying with us again soon. We should welcome another opportunity to show you our hospitality at its best!

Kindest Regards

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (28)
Southampton, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 6, 2013

This apartment hotel has the most amazing views of Cape Town (and the ships at anchor and in the offing), Table Mountain and Robben Island. In the surf on the beach we saw seals, dolphins and innumerable birds including, once, a penguin. We saw a heron catching snakes in the narrow strip of dunes between the hotel and the sea, and overhead were even more birds, including flamingos, cormorants, various raptors and Egyptian geese.

The Cape Town nnonday gun is audible here - fifteen seconds late.

South of the hotel, on Marine Drive, there is an excellent flea market on Saturdays and Sundays where local people, rather than visitors, buy used stuff. Go - it's fun.

The hotel is clean, comfortable and friendly but not overly luxurious (with this view who cares?) Breakfast is rather over-priced, and wifi and car parking are extras rather than included in the room rate. My wife and I stayed for three weeks and are sure to come back.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank jmbryant
Elbé C, General Manager at Cape Town Beachfront Apartments at Leisure Bay, responded to this review, January 7, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write this review after your recent stay with us at Leisure Bay Luxury Suites

I am delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us and it is so nice to read about all the sea life and birds that you have seen.

GUEST feedback is imperative for us to ensure that we are meeting and exceeding our GUESTS’ expectations. Your comments are therefore much appreciated, and we hope to have the privilege of welcoming you to Leisure Bay Luxury Suites again soon.

Cape Town, South Africa
Reviewed December 26, 2012

We spent 4 nights at this property, but I was disappointed in general. Not what I expected for a £700 self-catering accommodation. We arrived to be given a ground floor room, right next to the hotel pool. Despite the lack a privacy in this particular room, the room itself was awful, smelly and dirty carpets. I returned to the reception to request a better room, to be told that 'the hotel was full and we had to take this room as ALL the other rooms were occupied'. We dug our heels in and demanded a room which would at least meet a minimum expectation of what we were paying for a self catering hotel. After a fair amount of back and forth with reception staff without any authority, we were able to eventually speak to a 'supervisor' of sorts (no manager seemed to be around), who miraculously found a better vacant room to accommodate us. The room consisted of two small bedrooms, living room and small kitchen. The kitchen was adequately furnished with the necessary equipment. The best thing about this accommodation is the view of Cape Town/Table Mountain, its second to none. However the beaches are disappointing on this particular stretch with quite a lot of garbage on the beach. There are certainly much better beaches in CPT. Sadly the Suites do not provide any beach loungers, chairs or umbrellas for the beach itself. Granted its a public beach, but the Suites could still provide this beach equipment under a watchful eye. The biggest issue at these Suites is management. The staff are friendly and willing to assist, and some even go the extra mile. Such as the lady in the common laundry room, who willing looked after our washing, folded it and brought it up to our room, which she didn't need to do. So a huge thank you to her. Albeit a self catering resort, meals are provided. We booked with breakfast included. However, two days in a row I had to escort the waiter to the reception to confirm that breakfast was included in our rate. Staff, despite their willingness, lack training and management oversight.
I was also irked to be charged R25 per day for parking my car on the property. I wouldn't mind so much if the parking was under cover, but its exposed to the sun and elements all day.

Would I return here? A resounding NO! There are better establishments in Cape Town for the same price. The only thing going for this hotel as mentioned, is the view. Go elsewhere.

Room Tip: Look for somewhere else to stay.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
5 Thank Mike H
Elbé C, General Manager at Cape Town Beachfront Apartments at Leisure Bay, responded to this review, December 28, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to write a review after your recent stay at Leisure Bay Luxury Suites. Your feedback is highly valued and will be used constructively to maintain and improve, where necessary, our standards of service and facilities.

Please accept my sincere apologies for the discomfort and inconvenience you experienced. Your feedback by no means reflects the high standard of quality and service that we are usually proud to offer. I confirm therefore that I have investigated your comments in a serious light and taken action to rectify the shortcomings. Please be rest assured that our new rugs have arrived and they have replaced the older ones in the selected rooms.

Your feedback is imperative for us to ensure that our guests' expectations are being met and exceeded. Without your comments, we would never know when we are doing right, but more importantly, when we are doing wrong! Thank you for assisting us to strive for service excellence.

May 2013 be prosperous for you and the Family.

Oxford, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 20, 2012

I almost don't want to give this secret away..

One review said that the outside areas are run down. Perhaps they've had a refurbish since then, as this was not the case.

A beautiful, fully equipped apartment, overlooking the mountain, right on the beach
Convenient location as opposite 'mycity' bus stop. 15mins into town on a safe bus route.

Friendly and helpful staff

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Elbé C, General Manager at Cape Town Beachfront Apartments at Leisure Bay, responded to this review, December 24, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to write your review about your recent stay at the Leisure Bay Luxury Suites Hotel.

I am delighted to hear that the STAFF were so friendly and efficient.

Guest feedback is imperative for us to ensure that we are meeting and exceeding our Guests’ expectations. Your comments are therefore much appreciated, and we hope to have the privilege of welcoming you to Leisure Bay Luxury Suites again soon.

Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year from all of us.

Reviewed December 2, 2012

The view is incredible, the setting untouchable.
But so poorly managed its potential is wasted. Although that is nice for me, because otherwise it would always be busy here.
I wanted to comment for a long time, but now I must.
I ordered some food from hotel. It was bad, but I ate some because I was so hungry. Then I gave most of it to a dog and the dog wouldn't eat it!!!
If it wasn't such a perfectly beautiful location, this place would be empty.

• Stayed December 2012
1 Thank dumpling206
Elbé C, General Manager at Cape Town Beachfront Apartments at Leisure Bay, responded to this review, December 17, 2012
Dear Guest,

I refer to the Guest Review that you wrote after your stay with us. We wish to assure you that your feedback about your service experience at our hotel is viewed in a serious light.

Please accept my sincere apologies for the inconvenience that was caused to you during your stay. Your experience of the service delivery overall most certainly does not reflect the high standard that Leisure Bay Luxury Suites is usually proud to offer. I confirm therefore that your concerns have been addressed and that corrective action is being taken to rectify the shortcomings.

Guest feedback is imperative for us to ensure whether or not we are meeting and exceeding our Guests' expectations. We need to know when we have done right, but more importantly, when we have done wrong! Your feedback has therefore been truly invaluable to us. Should you require any further assistance from our side, please do not hesitate to contact me personally.

Yours sincerely,

Cape Town
Reviewed July 27, 2012

What a place this is...it cant get any better than this.Upon checking in we where up graded to a two bed room sea view facing apartment.
The apartment had everything in we could ask for, i mean everything from extra blankets to cups...and a perfect view of the sunset.

Room service menu is cheap and the food taste great.

I will return to this place again and again.

Room Tip: Try to get room on the 3rd floor.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Thysmetys
USA
Reviewed June 16, 2012

I loved my stays at the Leisure Bay! I stayed here on two different occasions during my business trip, and will absolutely stay here again.

The hotel itself is nothing special; feels kind of like an 80's-era Florida condo. The furniture was a little tired in the second floor room I had on my first visit, but perfectly fine (not torn or unkempt at all). The third floor room I had on my last visit looked newly remodeled. Both rooms were very clean, and well-stocked with everything necessary.

The staff was great. Very friendly and helpful, and a pleasure to deal with. Security patrols are frequent, and the guards at the entrance gate quickly learn who you are.

Breakfast features a nice selection from a cold buffet, as well as hot items from the regular menu. I was actually disappointed the morning I slept in and missed it. I also ate dinner at the hotel a couple of times, and it was likewise good. I used room service so I could keep working to finish my presentations, and there were no surcharges or taxes added to the price. Very refreshing.

But the best part of the hotel, bar none, is the view from the back deck. The hotel is right on the water and is THE place to be for sunset, especially when the weather is clear. Watching the sun rise and seeing the colors change on Table Mountain is also very nice, but nothing beats the sunset. Any time I was in the room I had the curtains and sliding door open to hear and watch the surf. Beach access is right out the back door on the main level of the hotel, and it’s a safe, great place for a stroll.

Here's what to know before you go:
• You will need a car to get around and to get into Cape Town; you can’t really walk to any restaurants or shops that are close (at least that I saw). The drive into town is quick and easy, about 10-15 minutes depending on where you're going.
• The hotel’s street address does not appear on most GPS systems, so find it using the ‘Hotels’ Point of Interest function on your GPS unit. Lagoon Beach, the hotel next door, also comes up this way.
• The hotel has South Africa-style plugs only (except for shavers), so be sure you have an adapter or two with you. The front desk does have some extras you can borrow for free (saved me on my first visit until I bought one), but obviously not an unlimited supply of them so come prepared.
• Service can be a little slow in the restaurant, but not unusually so for Africa. Just budget a little extra time at breakfast if you order from the menu.

Room Tip: Views are great from all rooms, but I prefer the third floor for the most open view.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
3 Thank UsaTravelinfool
Also consider these accommodations in or near Milnerton
Lagoon Beach Hotel & Spa
Radisson Blu Hotel Waterfront, Cape Town
Radisson Blu Hotel Waterfront, C...
#31 of 106 in Cape Town Central
Colosseum Luxury Hotel
Colosseum Luxury Hotel
#1 of 4 in Century City
Cape Town Marriott Hotel Crystal Towers

Been to Cape Town Beachfront Apartments at Leisure Bay? Share your experiences!