“Don't believe all the reviews you read!”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Cape Town Palms

Cape Town Palms
Ranked #20 of 22 Milnerton B&B and Inns
Bath
“Don't believe all the reviews you read!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 18, 2013

I can't believe some of the things people have said about this place. I stayed there in January 2013 and the stay was most enjoyable. I got the room I asked for, which was probably the best room in the place. As for someone saying there was a rat, I find that highly improbable. The owner has two dogs which I am sure what have made a meal of any rat!

The owner, Brian did not ask for all the money up front. I paid 20% deposit, he sorted out accommodation to and from the airport, he offered to drive me wherever I wanted to go, and he couldn't have been more welcoming. We sorted out the rest of the money at the end of the stay.

I suspect foul play on here for some of the reviews. I thoroughly enjoyed my stay and would recommend Cape Town Palms to anyone. Affordable, close to everything, good management and excellent value for money.

Room Tip: Ask for the large double room with the bath. That's what I had and it was superb!
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
3 Thank Pául W
capetownpalms, Manager at Cape Town Palms, responded to this review, April 24, 2013
Thank you Paul for your review.

We are striving to remove the stigma from some of these reviews we have received and have done our utmost to correct areas where we may have been lacking.

It will be a pleasure to have you stay with us again!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
Johannesburg, South Africa
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 18, 2012

Unfortunately I am also one of the victims of this accomodation. My family and I went there early this year. I had never seen such a dirty place in my life (as an accomodation). We just went inside for a few minutes. While the owner was proudly showing us d appartment I saw a rat passing through the kitchen!!! The rooms were so dirty and smelly; the sheets were not washed for a long time. The tv was broken,and all it's wires were out. There was a pool with a greenish colour of water!! we could not accept to stay in such a dirty place even for one night; the owner did not give any of our money back; It was that time I realised all those nice photos and advertisement in internet was just a fraud. we did not stay there and the owner simply ate our money!!!

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with family
72 Thank Rose1324

Travelers are raving about these Milnerton hotels

Antwerp, Belgium
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 12, 2012

We stayed with friends at the Palms in february 2011. I have to check may 2011 below because the site does not allow me to go that far back. However since i only recently became aware that the Palms is reviewable, i feel i owe it to fellow travellers to share our story. Management can check that we did stay there in february 2011. A group of friends from Belgium, all excited from having seen the photos on the site.

Upon entering; What a disappointment ! Spacy yes, clean not at all. When we arrived we could not believe how dirty everything was, not to mention that there were two big dogs !The dogs had to stay with us !! This was not al all to our liking ! But where to go with a group at the last minute ?! We were stuck ! There was dogfood and remains of food all over the terrace, and hairballs flying around on the terrace & into the pool.

We had to clean the terrace and the furniture ourselves, and then walked into the filthiest, greasiest kitchen with the dirtiest fridge ever (ever!) filled with ransid foods left by the owner, who apparently had had a party the day before we arrived.

The smell in most of the rooms was disgusting. The bbq had not been cleaned in 20 years. Or what about when we came home one day earlier then expected, we found the owner & a friend swimming in the pool, while all our stuff was there and we were paying for the house ! Not al all professional.

Anothe nice detail : There were rats in the washing room (so inside the house !!) who ate at the garbage bags. We had to use the washer though because the towels were stained and not clean.

Even a full year later we still can not believe the mess & the deception put forth by the website. We would never, ever go back, ever. ever.

Management can reply all they want, but seems to me if a few people from all over the world share the same (horrid) experience, there must be something to it.. Feel free to check my other reviews, and see that credit is surely given when earned ! Stay away from this place !

• Stayed May 2011, traveled with friends
78 Thank KristienPeeters
Cheshire
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 29, 2012

At last someone agrees with me,have just read Jack H`s review...everything he says is ABSOLUTELY true.
We rented the place Dec 2011 for 15 nights....but left after 9....never in my life have I stayed in such a dirty disgusting place.Brian Shrok the owner did not give a damn only to have your money.
I really don`t know where to start....
we stayed the first night at the Road Lodge by the airport as we arrived at 10.30 pm after a very long day
.Next day we picked up the cars(we are a family of 8) and made our way to Cape Town Palms...we arrived...very unkept outside,....overflowing smelly bins ..dirty windows...oh god,we thought.He was not there,so we rang him....he came .. a big slob in filthy t-shirt and shorts.
We walked inside...met with an un-lived in smell and two huge dogs running around....bedrooms were a good size ...couldn`t complain there..but one room should have had it`s own private patio....but...the dogs were shut in there out of our way in the day plus there were stinky drains.

The kitchen..would have been ok if clean...grease everywhere...leading off that was the laundry room...now we really did have a stench!!!!...there was washing inside the washer,with a mouldy odour...also the garage led off the kitchen which was full of mattresses,clothes,you name it.

The pool...never cleaned...filthy...Mr Shrok(Shrek to us) assured us that someone came everyday at 5 in the afternoon to clean it...rubbish...we didn`t see him ONCE! ..we had two young grandaughters with us who practically live in the pool but we were not happy to let them do so even though husband hosed down all around the pool area every morning as the dogs were allowed there at night.

The living room (will not honour it with the name "lounge")...a very dreary place..!!!

The bar...oh, this is Shreks office.....he came everyday ...now, we had rented the whole house off him but we had no privacy at all..he just walked in anytime...we could be eating in the kitchen...in he walked to..wait for it..to cook the dogs dinners which consisted of rice simmering for hours...and... to do his laundry.
We had to put money in the electric...R1300 in 9 days...my cousin lives in Cape Town and she was astounded,as she pays on average R300 a MONTH!!!..she has all the usual kitchen appliances...we rarely used the cooker,didn`t use the dishwasher or oven...all too filthy..we bought cooked chicken etc. to have with salad.I also asked other family who live out there and they said the same...that was a astonishing amount of electric for such a short time.
On our last day,we decided we were NOT going to leave him any credit in his metre,so we gauged we had enough to last us,in the evening Shrek came and told us we needed to put R50 in...he needed to cook the dogs dinners.!!!!

Now here comes the WORST...one morning we found vermin dropping in the laundry room..Shrek was told..nothing done...that night one of our daughters woke us up screaming,something was rattling her bedroom door...a RAT!!!..On going to the kitchen,the door had been chewed at the bottom and more droppings everywhere.
Poison was put down and two rats were dead.We then saw small rats in the corner of the pool area...a nest!!!
That did it...decided it...we are leaving!!!

He also has a granny flat which was a dumping ground but he did it up whilst we were there,carpets etc...so we had workmen traipsing through the house,electricians with ladders getting in the loft...my husband then flew off the handle and told Shrek just what he thought of him and that we should get some sort of compensation..he gave us R200 ...peanuts...considering we had paid over £3000 for the 15 night stay but were only there 9....and all the stress and inconvenience we had.

We then went to Kynsna and stayed at a wonderful place ...see my review for Point Lodge where we managed to get a few more nights as we had only booked for 2...before going on to Prins Albert to spend Xmas.

Yes..he is a CHEAT...all the lettings websites he advertises should be warned about him...and I think I am just the person to do it.
Jack H,I would very much like to contact you privately,could you let me have your email..if you do not mind ,that is.

Please take a look at the fotos....

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
123 Thank solada
London, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 10, 2012

The owner BRIAN SHORCK is a cheater and all of his advertises is a fraud. The apartment is nothing like the pictures and it’s dirty, smelly and totally SUCKS. The owner offers you something but by the time you are there, he gives you something else. If you have any objections he runs away with the keys. Don’t get in his trick with his photos and advertisements and DO NOT PAY HIM A SINGLE CENT CAUSE YOU WILL REHRET IT!!!

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with family
103 Thank JACK H
capetownpalms, Owner at Cape Town Palms, responded to this review, March 7, 2012
Unfortunately a guest who becomes disgruntled for any reason whatsoever has the opportunity to place bad and untrue reviews about any establishment they choose.

Where is the proof that this guest was even at our establishment?

Our villa is well-kept, clean, and upmarket! Don't believe us? Then come see for yourself, or send someone to have a look... our doors are always open to you.