“Value with a magical view”
Review of Cape Sunset Villas

Cape Sunset Villas
Cape Sunset Villas
Ranked #7 of 22 Milnerton B&B and Inns
Johannesburg
“Value with a magical view”
Reviewed December 18, 2011

If its a little piece of magic and great value that you looking for, then this is the place. I first stayed at the Cape Sunset Villa in April this year - i was desperatley looking for a place to stay for 9 days, and thanks to a special they were running, my budget fitted the price. As I walked in I breathed a huge sigh of relief, this is not one of the places that looks magnificent on the web and as you walk in you wonder where on earth they managed to capture the photos as it certainly was nowhere near the spot.....It is here that the photos on the web do not do justice. So much so that I have stayed there now 3 times....

The entrance area is HUGE, White tiles, a few stairs leading into a large dining and entertainment area. Breakfast is served in the dining area, which is behind a majestic staircase and depending on which table you are at, has a view of the fynbos and sea. The entertainment area has a large screen TV, large comfy couches and a huge wooden table that I presume is for pool/billiards (excuse my ignorance). Not that I could figure any reason why with the stunning views you would need this area....I am sure it gets well used by other guests. There is a also a rather large and well equipped kitchen that I found most useful for dinners.

I have had a place to myself on a few nights, so I have to confess that I did meander to see the other rooms.... There are 2 downstairs - those I did not explore. Upstairs there are 4 rooms, all with a stunning view from the bed of the sea. When I walked into what I now call 'my room' my breath was taken away by a huge room and a view of the sun slowly sinking into ithe sea right there.... There are two very large cupboards in the entrance, a large bathroom with very spacious bath, shower and double sink. And then the bedroom area - the king size bed (2 beds pushed together) has crisp clean white linen. There is a lot of room in the bedroom - with 2 chairs to the side that are great to curl up with a mug of hot chocoate and watch the sea.

Saying all this, I had to wonder to myself why the price does not match the 5 star size of the property. The manageress of the place, Lianne, is wonderful and has been very accomodating with some of the dietary requests I have made. Breakfast is simple and small, and is served when you want it. The staff stay very much out of your way, although I have become rather fond of Lianne and her dog and was even treated to taking the doggie for a walk on the beach. (She was very considerate and only on my request was the dog given free reign of the place).

Aside from the small breakfast, the room has a few flaws that if I was paying more I would have not been happy with. While it is spotlessly clean, there is a disconcerting stain at the bottom of the toilet bowl.... Towels are wonderful white ones, although when changed are not always the same big size and quality. The one drawer in the closet was broken. There is a kettle in the room, but it does not automatically switch off (yes, watched kettle does boil). On my latest visit I also noticed that there is an area of damp on the bedroom wall, and the huge balcony glass doors had not been cleaned. None of these detracted from my wonderful stays there.....

Room Tip: If you want a room with a view of Table Mountain, then ask for room 3. My room has a view towards th...
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled solo
1 Thank Mishmash9

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
Melbourne
Reviewed February 10, 2011

We arrived at Cape Sunset after a very long flight and transit, already in the dark, we were so impressed with Cape Sunset, a beautiful large house, nicely decorated, very comfortable. Our room was massive, with a beautiful ensuite and balcony looking right over the beach, very comfortable to be happily self contained in, but still with so much room to roam around the house, or play a game of pool downstairs.

We woke up to the most incredible view of Table Mountain from our bedroom/balcony, a beautiful beach right at the door step. For this alone it was well worth staying a little bit out of the city, a beach to walk on each morning, with such a view, and half the price of most city accommodation.

We had hired a car, which I'm not sure how we would have done without, driving and navigating around Cape Town was very easy and suprisingly user friendly for a person who had never driven in this country before! Only a 15 minute drive to the city, and easily accessable corner shops and supermarket within walking distance.

Leanne, the house manager, was so helpful and friendly, so approachable and happy to help with anything we needed.

I would highly recommend staying here to anyone going to Cape town. We had such a great experience, it really was like staying in someone's home, yet with all the privacy and space you would expect from a hotel.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank whittlkd
Also consider these accommodations in or near Milnerton
Lagoon Beach Hotel & Spa
#7 of 14 in Sunset Beach
Roman Retreat
Roman Retreat
#5 of 22 in Milnerton

Been to Cape Sunset Villas? Share your experiences!