“Impressed with Knysna Manor House”
Review of Knysna Manor House

Knysna Manor House
Ranked #48 of 129 Knysna B&B and Inns
Reviewed April 26, 2013

Would be more than happy to recommend to family, friends and tourists. Hosts friendly and professional with lots of information about the local history and environment. Our room was delightful with an en suite bath room tucked below an intimate little stairway.

1  Thank Selwyn S
KnysnaManorHouse, Owner at Knysna Manor House, responded to this reviewResponded April 27, 2013

Good Evening Selwyn,

I guess you stayed in room A, our Princess Room, which is rather quaint, with the cute little bathroom.

Glad to hear that Anthony and Brenda were professional in the attitude towards their guests and that they could offer useful information about the area both historical and activities to partake in.

Wishing you a great day.
Kind regards

Reviewed April 6, 2013

Excellent service from all the staff and management. Well maintained gardens and guest house, felt safe and very clean. Will make use of Knysna Manor House again. Breakfast was yummy and filling with great coffee.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
KnysnaManorHouse, Owner at Knysna Manor House, responded to this reviewResponded April 7, 2013

I agree, Brenda makes a good pot of coffee. Thank you for your honest review of our guesthouse. If our staff are happy, it makes all the difference to the service they are giving. It seems to me as if they are extremely happy at the moment.

Knysna Manor House is waiting for guests like yourselves to return.

A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed April 3, 2013

Large rooms, old English style, tastefully modernised.
Central location, still quiet. Walking distance from shops and Waterfront.
Beautiful view over the lagoon.
Excellent breakfast from 7am
Friendly and helpful hosts and staff.

2  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
KnysnaManorHouse, Owner at Knysna Manor House, responded to this reviewResponded April 5, 2013

Knysna Manor House always tries to make our guests feel at home, and it seems that you felt at home at our guesthouse.

Thank you so much for your kind words, I am sure that Anthony and Brenda also wished that you could have stayed longer too. Maybe next time.

Best regards

Reviewed March 31, 2013

We only stayed in Knysna one night on our way along the Garden Rouse. The guest house was a great option for our stay and I liked that it had some history to it. We enjoyed chatting with other guests out on the deck overlooking the waterfront. It's an easy walk to town, though I was a little nervous walking back from the island after dinner.

We had a twin room in the front near the main entry of the house. It was clean and comfortable, but probably not the nicest room they have. I agree with the review that says it was good for a night or two but couldn't imagine staying much longer. The best way I can describe it is that it felt like we were staying over at grandma's house -- polite hosts, safe location, decent breakfast, but a little dated and cluttered. I think we counted 4 tables in our twin room!

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Cindonesia
KnysnaManorHouse, Owner at Knysna Manor House, responded to this reviewResponded April 2, 2013

Hi Cindonesia,

Once again we are happy that our guests were happy. Again, I must state that this is one of the cheapest rooms at the guesthouse. We have slowly been redecorating since taking over the guesthouse, and one of my priorities is getting rid of the excess furniture. Can I ask a question to all guests, what sort of decor would one put in a 120 year old house. I have my ideas, but would welcome any suggestions.

Thanks for taking the time to review us.
Regards

Reviewed March 26, 2013

My husband and I recently stayed at the Knysna Manor House. It is in a great location for the centre of town shops and restaurants. It is also within walking distance of the Waterfront. We had a very pleasant stay and the owners were very friendly and helpful. Breakfast was also good with more than enough to eat. Would recommend for 3* accommodation.

1  Thank Sue W
KnysnaManorHouse, Owner at Knysna Manor House, responded to this reviewResponded March 27, 2013

Good Evening Sue,

Thank you for your kind words about Knysna Manor House. I am pleased that everything was to your liking.

We look forward to welcoming you back to Knysna Manor House in the future.

Reviewed March 18, 2013

Was in Knysna for business and stayed over at Knysna Manor House (KMH). The room was basic but clean the owners was friendly and polite. I could not however imagine myself staying there for more than a night or two. The facilities are basic and the location is not great. It is right behind a filling station and there was a lot of noise from trucks and cars passing through Knysna. You have this beautiful little town with all the natural splendors around. The KMH just doesn't give it justice. It feels like I was right in the middle of a busy business centre. The house is Victorian but I didn't find it as charming as some of the other reviewers. I paid extra for a room with a "balcony" which was actually just a table and chair in the open corridor leading to the rooms. In the end I guess I got what I paid for. It wasn't very expensive. If I were to stay in Knysna for longer I would however find someplace remote with more natural beauty around it.

Room Tip: We had a room with a shared "balcony" and there was lots of noise coming from the road.
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business
KnysnaManorHouse, Owner at Knysna Manor House, responded to this reviewResponded March 20, 2013

Good evening Rocap,

Thank you for your honest opinion of our guesthouse.

I must firstly state that the room with the balcony is one of the cheaper rooms, and the rooms in the main house are more expensive. This can be seen when checking rates on our website.

Unfortunately we cannot change the location of the guesthouse, and it was in fact built in 1896 for the Mayor of Knysna. The character and charm of Knysna Manor House far outweigh the location which the majority of guests find to be central and convenient .

We have been fighting with the municipality about the main road and all the trucks that go through our beautiful town. We also believe that the town should not be destroyed by the traffic.
I would like to invite you back to the guesthouse and to stay in the main house and see the difference.

Thank you for your honest opinion of our guesthouse.

Reviewed March 15, 2013

We stayed at Knysna Manor House for 3 nights and would certainly come back. Located in Knysna city centre but just off mainstreet, so there is no traffic noise. Just 10-15 min. walk from the Waterfront, safe to walk in the evening. The place has a special historic charme. Our room was spacious, clean and lovingly decorated. Only negative thing is that you can hear every footstep of your room neighbours, due to the old wooden floors. Otherwise we can recommend it for a stay in Knysna. Service is kind, breakfast offers good variety + a great view over the lagoon from the deck. Safe parking in the yard.

1  Thank Peta_70
KnysnaManorHouse, Owner at Knysna Manor House, responded to this reviewResponded March 16, 2013

Good evening Peta,

Thank you for taking the time to review us on TripAdvisor. We always take reviews very seriously, and thank you for your kind words.

I am so glad that you enjoyed your stay with us, and that you also enjoyed the great breakfast and hospitality that Brenda serves up.

I must admit that it is sometimes a disadvantage having the old floors in the house, and I know that some guests are not considerate when walking around their rooms.

We look forward to welcoming you back to Knysna Manor House in the not too distant future.

Kind regards