“Warm, friendly, amazing, wonderful!!”

Amanzi Island Lodge
Ranked #9 of 126 Knysna B&B and Inns
Anonymous
“Warm, friendly, amazing, wonderful!!”
Reviewed January 15, 2014

01 March 2013, my bridesmaids & I spent the night here & spent the morning getting ready for our wedding which already was fabulous!! My husband & I then returned after the wedding and Amanzi asked me prior to leaving if we wanted champagne in our room when we returned or at breakfast upon which I opted for breakfast. We all forgot about it though & a week later they emailed me to please pop in some time and drink some champagne at Amanzi. On 08 Jan 2014 I emailed them and asked if we could pop in on 09 Jan 2014 as it was my husbands birthday and we were in Knysna. They promptly replied saying ofcourse, please do!! Upon our arrival I learned that they weren't aware of the offer when they received my email as the lodge were under new ownership but that they'd love to do it for us. Needless to say, we enjoyed a fabulous bottle of champagne on the deck with the gorgeous view of the Knysna lagoon and then my husband was called to cut the cake and enjoy some for his birthday! Fantastic Amanzi style!! Hospitality at it's best, with the staff smiling & chatting & being friendly! We'll be back Amanzi!!!

Room Tip: Lagoon view for sure as Knysna is the most picturesque destination ever!!
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (107)
  • Arabic first
  • Polish first
Beaconsfield
Reviewed January 7, 2014 via mobile

Very much like Jonny95 said before me, I am so glad the change of ownership has not lowered the standards I remembered from previous visits. If anything, the shuttle service to Mo or Senza is a very welcome addition. Service with a smile from everyone involved, and loads of local knowledge. Will return for sure.

Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
ipswich
Reviewed January 7, 2014

We wanted to stay at Amanzi for all of the nights we were in Kynsna in December but sadly they were booked for all but 2 nights. However those 2 nights were amazing. We had a garden view room, which even though did not have a lagoon view was a beautiful room. It was huge room with a balcony, large bathroom with huge shower and bath and the biggest double bed you can imagine.
From the moment we arrived Alison could not do enough to make our stay memorable. We were early arriving and our room was being cleaned but rather than sending us away we were offered coffee and rusks and shown into the lovely bar/dining room area overlooking the lagoon.
Every little thing is thought of, from the honest bar to the tablet that is on the table for guests to use to browse the internet with the free wi-fi.
They also offer a shuttle service into the Kynsna,there is a cost involved but it is reasonable and the driver will come and get you at any time. Trips on the island and to the nearer restaurants were free. I personally liked being on leisure Island and away from the hustle and bustle of the town. you could walk out the door and onto the beach for a swim or walk (tide dependent!) and the views were unbeatable.
Alison was also able to secure us a booking on our first night at 33 South Restaurant, a great feat considering that when we arrived at the restaurant people were being turned away.
Our driver for the night was Promise and he was also as amazing as Alison, he even walked us to our restaurant to ensure we did not get lost. He was then also our breakfast waiter the next morning. The breakfast's were perfect. There was a whole host of items to pick from and the kitchen would make you anything you wanted.
This is a small hotel and I really enjoyed the small breakfast area with other guests as they seemed as happy as us just to be in beautiful Knysna and at Amanzi. It was a treat to enjoy our coffee whilst looking at the stunning view.
Another great part to this hotel was the free use of bikes and canoes. We used the bikes on the first night for a quick trip around the island and had hoped to use the canoes the next day but my partner got sick and we had to postpone that. On our check out day Alison was kind enough to say that if we wanted we could still use the canoes and were also free to stay and use the hotel pool etc. in fact she even apologised she could not let us stay in the room longer but it needed to be cleaned for the next lucky guests.
I cannot praise all the staff of this hotel highly enough. They have a beautiful hotel and location but it is them that made our stay so special. I cannot wait to come back to Amanzi and this time we will ensure we will stay all our nights here.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
UK
Reviewed December 29, 2013

I have stayed at Amanzi a number of times before when the previous owners Simon and Cathy were there. It was always excellent and they were great hosts. I did wonder what it would be like this time and I am pleased to report that the new management are equally brilliant. They were very helpful on restaurant recommendations and did everything to make sure that our stay was enjoyable. Particular thanks to Alison for booking Senza! Breakfast was very good - lots of variety and everything is very well done. Room very comfortable.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Istanbul, Turkey
Reviewed December 29, 2013

We stayed at Amanzi island lodge in december in the lagoon facing room for 2 night
It was all like a dream. I would recommend to do. With a spectacular view of the lagoon can be seen fully. The hotel owner and staff are very helpful. thank you for everything..

Room Tip: I would advise you to choose from lagoon view room
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Emrah E
Reviewed December 25, 2013

We spent two nights in a superior lagoon facing room..stunning views of the lagoon and knysna heads. Perfect get away from the hustle and bustle of the city. Breakfast was of a high standard. The staff were very helpful and friendly. I would definitely recommend Amanzi lodge to couples wanting to spend some quality time together. My only recommendation is that they place bar fridges in the rooms.

• Stayed December 2013
3 Thank Bakhtiaar
Mumbai (Bombay), India
Reviewed November 24, 2013

Very homely and nice place to stay. Staff very helpful and feels like home. Amazing place to chill out. I was with my six year old son and they have kept arrangements for little kids as well,Board games etc. we arrived very late in nite but we were welcomed warmly by future. He was amazing with my son. He gave us some time to settle meanwhile he was taking care of my son and was playing with him. Was really impressed by him. Surely recommendable. Also y to get lagoon view room. That's the best part of this hotel.

Room Tip: Try to get lagoon view room. Amazing view from the room
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled with family