“A lovely place to stay”

Ranked #8 of 30 Hotels in Knysna
Chester, United Kingdom
“A lovely place to stay”
Reviewed October 5, 2013

An excellent place to stay with lovely views over the lagoon. The staff are very friendly and helpful. The food was excellent as was the service. Our rooms were enormous (we were upgraded to suites as the place was quiet) and very well furnished. It was very luxurious. The bar and restaurant also had open fires which made it cosy and warm on a winter’s evening. I thoroughly enjoyed my stay here. The place is a little out of Knysna town but it is walkable, probably half an hour or so.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Pickworth

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (62)
Stellenbosch, South Africa
Reviewed September 19, 2013

After a long drive from ADDO National Park I arrived as “walk inn’s” at Hotel St. James in Knysna. A hotel what is located at the lake of Knysna and what has a beautiful view. By entering the main gate, I was welcomed by the host of the hotel, who is originated from France. He kindly showed me the rooms in the hotel. The hotel has two buildings, its main building where also the bar and the restaurant are located with rooms on the first floor and the courtyard building, where other rooms and suites are located. Both of the buildings are provided with swimming pools.

Everything went smoothly. For dining options the host told me that I could go out for dinner in the neighborhood, close to the lake. But there was also a possibility to go for dinner at the hotel’s restaurant. I chose for the last option and I had received beside a great service also a wonderful diner.

The view from anywhere on the property was (is) marvelous, the room I stayed in was great, clean and well-polished, and the service was outstanding. The next morning, after a late check-out I was greeted by the lady of the back office. She was also very friendly and approachable for a conversation.

I would definitely return to St. James in Knysna, whenever I have time to travel again.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed September 14, 2013

I just recently stayed here with my husband an adult daughter. We all loved the place. We were a bit apprehensive because of some of the reviews that suggested the furniture was "worn". We had to chose between this place and another and ultimately chose here because of the water views (which I wanted ) but were concerned the price to pay for our choice would be worn furniture. Well, to our pleasant surprise that was not the case. We tried hard to find the "worn" furniture noted in the reviews and found none. We suspect that those who did not like the Old European style were referring to the look as "worn". We actually enjoyed the style.

When we arrived we were taken to the parlor for tea (or cold drinks if preferred). There was a large fire place with a nice warm fire (it was still early spring and the outside temperature was failing into the upper 30's and lower 40's range at night when we arrived). After the staff had taken all the luggage to the room and we had enjoyed our nice relaxing tea by the fire place, we were taken to our room.

The room was really a suite, large and very, very clean. The bathroom was huge and spotless clean. Even though I always re-clean the bathrooms- I must say nothing at all came up on my disinfectant cloths; that's how spotless their own cleaning was (unusual even in the 5 star hotels).

Dinner was fantastic- also by a fire.

The breakfast was very nice with good selections from both the cold and hot menus.

We highly recommend this place and hope that we can come again.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Gibraltar
Reviewed September 6, 2013

We cannot fault the stay at this place. We were up graded to the suites as it was quiet. The food was fantastic. In the evenings the fires in the bar and retaurant were lit, warm and cosy in the wintery weather. The views were fantastic with a lovely lunch on the patio by the pool. Fantastic, friendly staff. Top choice for knysna.

Room Tip: All looked lovely. We were lucky with the suites.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
Dubai, UAE
Reviewed August 31, 2013

We spent 3 blissful nights at this beautiful waterfront property in Knysna. It's a fabulous property with a heart of gold. It's just outside main town and overlooks famous Knysna Heads from other Ed of lagoon.

They care for their customers and it shows. When they were informed that we were vegetarian family and would like some more options for breakfast; they arranged for additional vegetarian dishes.

Nicest touch was washing of our cars daily, without anyone asking or telling them. Rooms themselves were spacious with very good amenities and lovely views.

Impressed, please keep up your excellent standards.

Room Tip: Lagoon view rooms on upper floor of the house are worth the upgrades.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Cambridge, Massachusetts
Reviewed August 26, 2013

I had never paid so little for so much. The staff are very friendly and helpful. Upgraded me to a suite with view and direct access to the lagoon. Beautiful, huge room with lots of amenities. Delicious breakfast. They even washed my car every morning! Only downside was poor Wi-Fi service. Overall, a delightful stay. Would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
Lancashire
Reviewed August 25, 2013

We stayed for 4 nights at the St. James. The hotel overlooks Knysna lagoon and is beautifully furnished throughout and our huge room (suite!) was amazing. The break fast was very good with hot food cooked to order. All of the staff were extremely friendly and helpful. My husband was amazed to find that our car had been washed each morning! We ate in the restaurant on one night when we found that the staff had set up a candlelit table for the two of us in the bar area with a roaring fire ( very much appreciated on a cold winter evening) and the food and wine were delicious. The hotel is just a little way out of Knysna but not a problem if have a car. I would like to visit again in the summer time to fully appreciate the beautiful setting especially in the evenings. I will be recommending this hotel to my friends and family.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple